Sign in to follow this  
DCPL

Anyone else use the Myfitnesspal app?

Hi all, just wanted to know if anyone else is using the myfitnesspal app? I originally tried a few months ago & hated it but I've been back on it for around 2 weeks & am loving it & I've lost nearly 2kgs - yay! Loving it :)

This app is great if u can log in everything u eat & exercise etc - it even has a barcode scanner so I just scan whatever i eat & adjust the serving size.

yep ive been using it since Christmas.. was originally really strict but now a bit more lax - still track everything but i now have a much better idea of the calories im eating and have upped my intake a bit! have lost about 6kilos :)

I use to use it religiously but then I went too extreme on diet and exercise which made me go crazy and binge eat in secret. If anyone is trying to loose some weight I highly recommend the advice from an AWESOME girl called Josie Spinardi. She has some videos on youtube and her own website which has helped me so much in loosing weight without even trying too hard and its also free from calorie counting, excessive cardio and beating yourself up from having a 'cheat treat' check her out!

Well done Lozz68 - 6kg loss is awesome! I'm trying to get down to 62kg eventually but I'm on a mission this week to feel good in a new dress for my bday party on Sat :)

I use it when I want to lose weight for an event (put the weight back on after). It's great because it estimates calories burnt from exercise too. Addictive when you have your mind set.

I used to use it but it made me obsessive and eating 1200 calories a day is not nearly enough, and I ended up binging. I now eat 1800 calories or there abouts, and exercise for an hour a day. I have gone from 90 kilos to 72 kilos.

i used it for a while but i don't agree with calorie counting so i stopped and found that if you just eat healthy food when your hungry it works a lot better. there is a lot of science that goes into how many calories your body needs and entering your height and weight into an app isn't enough. if you're going to do it, see a PT and work our properly what you need, because if you don't eat enough you will go into starvation mode and actually hold onto weight. Having said that, i still sometimes jump onto it and check the macros for things that i eat to see how much protein, fat, sugar etc are in it.

i used it for a while but i don't agree with calorie counting so i stopped and found that if you just eat healthy food when your hungry it works a lot better. there is a lot of science that goes into how many calories your body needs and entering your height and weight into an app isn't enough. if you're going to do it, see a PT and work our properly what you need, because if you don't eat enough you will go into starvation mode and actually hold onto weight. Having said that, i still sometimes jump onto it and check the macros for things that i eat to see how much protein, fat, sugar etc are in it.
Couldn't agree more! I also don't believe every calorie is equal. I know I can eat 1600 calories of lean meat, vegetables, fruit and complex carbs and my body looks much better than when I eat 1600 calories of high fat, high sugar, processed foods.

Couldn't agree more! I also don't believe every calorie is equal. I know I can eat 1600 calories of lean meat, vegetables, fruit and complex carbs and my body looks much better than when I eat 1600 calories of high fat, high sugar, processed foods.
I agree with you 100%. i have friends that have had gastric banding or sleeves, they still eat crap just less of it now. i feel that its not just about being skinny, but being healthy as well. 1800 calories of lean protein, fruit, veg, complex carbs, is better for your body than 1200 calories of sugar and fat. its not how much you eat, its WHAT you eat.

You are right but important to remember that every component of your food equals different amount of calories. eg/ 1gm of fat = 9cal and 1gm of carb/protein = 4 cals. I personally don't count calories (I find it a trigger and take it too far) but I do track my macros (protein / fats/ carbs) - if I wanted to be technical I could work out how many cals I am consuming by how many grams of everything I'm consuming.Does this even make sense lol? its hard to explain

Yep :)This might be a bit better at explaining - difference between counting their macros and Calories - Macros is short for macro-nutrients and they are essentially Protein, Carbohydrates and Fat. A calorie is a measure of energy (very simple terms) what can end up happening (when just counting calories) is that you can end up deriving all of your energy from one macro-nutrient e.g. I need to eat 1200 calories a day cool I’ll go eat 1.5kg of sorbet which is = 300g of carbohydrate which = 1200 calories done and dusted for the day. Get the idea. :)

well said! i totally get you. all calories are not created equal and if all you do is stick to 1200 cals then you might end up very hungry, tired, and not losing any weight because the source of your calories might not be a good choice. you could eat a big mac and then you're done for the day, so you'll be hungry. or you could eat some chicken breast and veggies, or sweet potato or quinoa, and have 6 meals a day and be full and feeling great

well said! i totally get you. all calories are not created equal and if all you do is stick to 1200 cals then you might end up very hungry, tired, and not losing any weight because the source of your calories might not be a good choice. you could eat a big mac and then you're done for the day, so you'll be hungry. or you could eat some chicken breast and veggies, or sweet potato or quinoa, and have 6 meals a day and be full and feeling great
Love your thinking woman! *as I lick my lips of my 4th meal of the day* :)

i eat all day long, i'm constantly having either a small meal, or a handful of cashews. i'm just careful of what that meal is, and how big it is :) every time a new 'diet' comes out i just shake my head, you see people lose weight and then gain it all back because they have learnt nothing about actually eating healthy. Myfitnesspal can be a good resource to see what is actually in your food, macro wise, but if you're counting calories and ONLY calories then you might just find you're hungry all the time and end up binging because you aren't using your calories in the best way.