Jump to content
Sign in to follow this  
need_core_strength

To wait or not to wait...

Recommended Posts

Hi everyone!,

I have just got private health insurance (for just recently diagnosed lupus) and am wondering wether or not I should wait the 11 months to get my TT with MR or just jump in and get it now. There are many factors both for and against both. For example the lupus could rapidly progress and the surgeon may not want to do surgery in 1 years time. This could be my only chance to get this procedure done but we wont know until we get there. It would mean I was saving around $6000 in hospital fees though and to be honest we could do with saving that extra money... If I wait I can also lose the last 5kg I have been wanting to lose before I hurt my back from not having any core strength and the lupus flare...

So my question is- If you were in this position of chronic back pain, pelvic instability with muscle seperation (no core strength) and skin overhang would you wait the 11 months (not really that long) or would you just do it now and get it over with?

I am borrowing the money and that is already set up so its not an issue of not having it there, rather being able to save the money...

Any answers would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi

I would get your doctors opinion on the lupus.

Personally if it was me and my doctor thought the lupus would be ok I would wait till your insurance kicks in. You've lived with it this long.

And what happens if you have complications ? You could possibly get a massive bill?

X

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Hi I think wait also, I had to wait 12 months to do my op as I needed to up the cover, I'm glad I did as I think the Hosp fees, and theatre time would have been v exp and i would have been in a hurry to leave the hospital. The year went by very quickly and I put it out of my mind and almost convinced myself not to go ahead well almost. But for me my back and pelvis were not as big an issue. I'm sorry to hear about ur lupus, can be a difficult disease to manage. I think someone else on here had TT with lupus but can't recall the name sorry.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

To be honest it sounds like you have kind of made ur decision and if u don't want to wait then don't.

By the sounds of it your in alot of constant pain and knowing myself how muscle separation and back pain can suck (from kids) i think do it NOW :)

But if money were an issue I would just wait the 11 months as u said its not that long and there are heaps of ladies on here waiting that long..

Best of luck o your decision hun xx

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Aw thank you all so much for your help. Money is a pretty big issue here. I think if I can wait the 11 months I will, I mean its not likely the doctor will get me in straight away... If he says you can have your op in December I will just wait the extra time.

Really when it comes down to being able to save at least $6000 if I can just wait that year I think its a good idea. I will be able to try and lose a bit more weight, get back into my fitness slowly (the lupus flare killed my routine) and manage the lupus prior to surgery. I also can not be sure how much of the pain is caused by the lupus and how much is caused by the stomach seperation. I mean the tummy seperation causes problems but the extent of the pain is probably also due to unmanaged lupus. Not that the disease can necessarily be managed all too well anyway- It seems to be attacking my joints primarily at the moment and the exhaustion is a big issue for me.

Thank you also Janet- you raise a good point, if there are complications with my surgery and I needed to stay longer I really could not afford that. Both financially and not being prepared.

Thanks girls you have helped me out a lot. I think I will wait the 12 months to save the money and also make sure the lupus is under control. Thankfully its a TT not a BA as I have read a few horror stories of lupus patients bodies rejecting implants... eek!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now
Sign in to follow this  

×