Sign in to follow this  
Ray273

Return to Work and Walking Straight

So ladies, my question to all of you is, when did you return to work, how did you cope and were you walking straight?

I'm two weeks today with the hope of returning to work next Monday but I'm wondering whether it will be possible.

I'm still walking very hunched over and my back aches. My scar is healing well and I love my new tummy (even with the swelling) but I just thought (and maybe it was a bit wrong) that by now I would be walking more upright etc.

Yesterday I went with hubby to by a new tv. We did some walking but I took it easy and I sat down where ever I could but by the time I got home I was exhausted.

This made me wonder about work. I mainly sit at me desk all day but its still doing the daycare drop off, getting to work, working etc that I am worried about.

Your experiences would be greatly appreciated.

Hi Ray. I went back to work at 3 weeks post op. I found by the end of the day I felt a bit swollen above the scar and just really tired. Not sure I would have felt up to it at 2 weeks.

Hi ray, my work is on my feet and can be heavy so I went back at 6 weeks. My tummy still did hurt at the end of the day however Im all good now. Maybe u can benefit from one more week off and hopefully ur walking better, getting the kids in and out of car can be a struggle enough. My ps did suggest 4 weeks off work for most jobs and suggested the 6 weeks for me.

Im at the 6 months stage post op now and I am SOOOOO glad I listened to my husband and didnt return to work for the FULL 6 weeks......I have 3 very active boys (13 yrs and 9 yr old twins) SO my life is VERY busy and I TOTALLY understand where you are coming from......my surgeon suggested stretching on a wall-so back to the wall-stretch as much as you can until your shoulder blades are flat on the wall-this takes time and every day you do it honestly it will help with your hunching, back pain AND getting exhausted walking :o) Im a nanny so for me going back to work early wasnt really a option anyway........as you cant lift in the first 6 weeks.......6 months on and I feel amazing all the hunching gone.....I still stretch though on the floor which REALLY helps to keep me straight :o)