missblissbomb

which method of payment did you use to pay for your surgery??

I'm thinking cash, it's nothing for me to walk around with 15k on me it's part of my partner not using banks. Also my dr said the hospital prefer cash as they do deals with them and get cheaper rates

Wondering how you ladies actually paid for your surgery? Method of payment. Cash, eftpos, transfer, .... ?

I transferred the funds directly into my surgeon's account from mine :)

i think most girls pay on their card when they go to thailand for surgery. You wouldnt want to get pick pocketted on the way to the hospital. My mum and sister got their purses stolen in thailand and they didnt even realise

I chose to pay by transfer as I did not want to carry cash through Thailand and PIAC do not accept all debit cards, so this seemed the least stressful payment method, I did however only pay 115000THB even though I was quoted 130000THB just in case at the consultation something changes and I end up going with the cheaper option, 15000THB didn't seem to bad to carry around, otherwise it takes them a few weeks to refund the difference. The only gripe I had with transfer is that they bank with St George which have a great exchange rate but the make you use the Westpac currency converter to figure out how much AUD to transfer and Westpac have one of the worst conversion rates, I did ask about this but was informed that they will only accept the amount Westpac show.

I paid cash. My op was 250,000THB. I felt 100% comfortable walking into the exchange place in the shopping centre and exchanging it then catching a taxi back to the hospital and holding it in my room (in my safe) until the next day when I paid. Like everything, there's horror stories and you always think 'it won't happen to me'. So just be careful if you take cash. I was more worried about my passport getting stolen than my 250,000THB.

I used a nab travel card no problems at all I loaded it with Thai baht and locked I the exchange rate.... If u do this options a few tips 1) let the hospital know it's loaded in Thai baht other wise you will be charged to convert it to us then thb 2) when using an atm hit you DO NOT accept the exchange rate then again u wont be charged conversions fees twice

Another question - would the bank actually issue you a loan if you told them that you were using it to get plastic surgery??

elle absoulutely!i used to work for the commonwealth bank and they would fund the costs of planning someones murder lol, they dont give 2 sh*t* what you do with it as long as you can pay it back. They would probably ask you what its for to build rapport with you or to try tag on sales eg car loan = try and sell car insurance.

You dont need to tell them what its for just say you need some extra cash.

As for your banking consultant being nosey shes just trying to seek opportunities for upsales, just say youd rather not discuss it.

I paid for my surgery with my credit card so i could get the frequent flier points and then i immediately transferred my saving onto the credit card to avoid any interest (55 days interest free from first purchase).

wow miss bec i did not think ps would give discounts for cash good to know though! did they suggest it or did u ask?

I'll be paying for mine with CC & sucking up the int transaction fee (about $90) Another option if I had the cash would have been to load my citibank visa debit card up and pay with that, avoid carrying cash & get the best possible exchange rate, it has no int transaction fees on atm withdrawal or purchases whatsoever, no account fee etc. Will see how it goes over there.

I am so nervous about payment... scared about wire transfer that I wont receive an invoice or they wont receive the payment. Scared that if I use my visa debit card that it wont work.. and I dont feel comfortable carrying 151000thb around thailand either :(

Has anyone used MacCredit? :)

Apparently they go through ANZ so if you want to save yourself the paperwork fee go straight to ANZ. Regardless there is still an establishing fee that any bank will add on for a loan but it's around $150.

I paid cash... I couldn't imagine paying over $10k in cash in Thailand tho... My $2900 (90,000thb) didn't fit into my wallet I had an envelope you'd practically need a suitcase for $13k !! I felt safe tho I had it in a safe in the apartment and then was driven to the hospital by Bangkok makeovers staff so wasn't any worry... Carrying it on the plane was more daunting than in Thailand :)