Sign in to follow this  
orangevegie

Finally on the flat side

:) hi all this is likely to be long! but everyone elses posts helped me so maybe this will help someone.

so as the post says ive finwlly had my surgery!

I came to hospital at 6.30am, the staff have been really lovelly.

was sent to in pre-op, tagged and cganged into my gown and beautiful disposable undies!

i was taken to the op room outside the op room and introduced to everyone. dr merten came and marked me p, anethesist sorted me out, explained everything really clearly.

I dont remember going to sleep after getting on the table, next thing im wakingg in recovery. briefly saw dr but was outof it, will see him in the morning and talk more.

spent a couple of hours in recovery felt ok, by the time i was wheeled to my room the bed in a v shape, within 5-10 mins my blood pressure dropped i got hot and nauseas, they very quickly sorted me out, my mum was a lttle scared i think cuase i didnt look great.

i have a catheter in place which has been fantastic, not so great are the auotmatic leg compression things (like a huge blood pressure cuff that squeeze and prevent clots, the will be turned off in th morning went i get mobile.

not sure why but i ended up being sick around 8, was talking to the kids and hubbie annd felt a huge rush of heat - holy crap did that hurt

anyway so far things going well, cant wait to see under my garmet. its so hardto tell what awaits m but i can say im glad ts over now.

one thing id recommend taking is a soft travel pillow, due to the raised bed head its difficukt to get comfy on the normal pillow, had brought my own normal pillow but it too high atm, mum bringing a travel one tomorrow.

i will try and update again tomorrow, thanks for all the support xo

Thats awesome orangevegie im so glad its all done for u.. I was not sick but i believe a lot of girls got sick from the anesthetic :(

So happy for u and your flat tummy hun xxxxxx :)

Congratulations...the main thing is your starting the recovery process from here on in. As you know there will be good and bad days but it will all be worth it in the end. Good luck :)) x

Hey OV,

So great to read your story. congrats on being on the other side of the journey. i hope you continue to progress well and look forward to reading your updates,

so todayis 2 days po and im doing pretty well, catheter came out at lunch time yesterday so am having to get up and down to go to the toilet. Hoping the coloxyl they have given me kick in this morning :)

physio come again this morning and will take me for a little walk, and the dr is coming to remove the direct pain stop & one of my drains. Having only one drain will make it easier to go to the toilet thats for sure.

I saw my stomach again last night as my compression garmet needed to be cut shorter (was too long in the torso!) still very swollen, but i do believe its going to be great. I ended up having 1200grams of skin/tissue removed, and some lipo ontop of that along with muscle repair which we didnt think id originally need. Am still super sore but in good spirits. On endone (mainly before bed) and panadol for pain relief. Will update more later.

Just woke up and feeling pretty good so fa, omg I really understand the term swell hell properly now. By bedtime last night I felt like I was been squeezed so tight by my skin it was like I couldn't breathe! Holy **** that in itself was rather painful. Swelling down quite a lot this morning so could tighten the garmet a bit. Belly button gunky which again was told would happen will get it checked later and see if it needs redressing. Have started getting a patch of red sore on my bum from lying in bed (though I was up lots yesterday) it's itchy and uncomfortable looking forward to another shower later on 😄

Glad to hear your spirits are high - that's a really big positive in getting through that first tough week or so. The swelling is uncomfortable isn't it? Hope it settles down soon! Get the nurses to check your red patch - it could be thrush from all the ABs if it's itchy. Enjoy your shower and look after yourself xx

hi jaddlesam just trying to take each day as it comes and ride the waves :) think reading all the things to expect its really easy to see when your being negative or easily upset, because of that i think ive managed to stop the emotional funk so far. OMG the swelling was crazy!!! i cannot believe just how bad the feeling of it is. today seems to be a little better than yesterda by holy crap last night the feeling like a balloon just before it pops wasnt pleasant.the rash/sore is just a bed sore/pressure sore mainly from the way my skin rubbed the bed for the first couple of days, now its there its a matter of trying to relieve the pressure when i can. :) the shower was lovely how are you finding things so far down the recovery track?

It can definitely be a hard journey both physically and emotionally. I had one really low day 2 weeks PO, but like you say when you know it might happen it's easier to ride it out. I'm going really well, I still have some discomfort when I press things into my tummy (like when you're carrying something) and a little tender in the muscle repair area when I sneeze or twist. Swelling is not much of an issue anymore, although I did a 2km swim last week and swelled a little.

Glad to hear the recovery is still going ok jaddles. I just sneezed and far out it was like being on fire the whole way along the muscle repair!! Not something I want to repeat!! I enjoy swimming as well though generally only go once a week and before work so I get in and do as much as I can in my 30 mins. Will defintely keep low days in mind and sure to turn to family and friends to get me through the funks 😉 All I can hope is for things to go as smoothly as possible.

woke up with way way less swelling and am so happy with my new shape thats emerging!!! the smile hasnt left my face :) feeling great, fingers crossed i go home today - itsall dependant on the drain now.

Glad to hear you are doing so well. I look forward to reading your updates, only 5 weeks 2 days to go for mine. Tip on the pillow fabulous thanks:)

Sam the 5 weeks will fly by and before you know it you'll be 5 days po!! I honestly cannot believe how quickly the last 5 days have gone. Tossing up whether to try sleeping again without endone or just be done with it and have the tablet. Love being home but already struggling to sit down and not tidy up/ wash etc. have some friends visiting tomorrow so that should make it a little easier. The bruising forum the bit of lipo on the flanks is crazy but only on the right side. Am hoping for a goodish night sleep as I'm really tired after such a crap night last night.

Hey OV,So pleased your doing so well. where did you have it done here in australia or overseas? five days PO and tossing weather or not to have pain meds before bed sounds like your doing amazingly well.keep smiling.

Jenny's I had the op on Sydney at Mac uni hospital with dr Merten (who is awesome!!)

I hadn't taken endone the last night at hospital and had an awful sleep where I could get comfy, decided none again last night and using pillows to get a nice comfy spot slept pretty well, down to panadol and a form of Voltaren that has a fancy name. It's strange as its not pain but discomfort from swelling!! Only pain I experience is when sneezing!😂

Finally got up some photos I took this morning, I do have ones that i have taken every day to show just how much it changes but for now will stick with once a week for here. Things are settling down nicely. Im still quite bloated but nothing compared to last week. I cannot get over that its been a week today already! Time has gone by super fast. Finding sleeping on my back is still annoying and cannot wait to be able to sleep on my side again. Have my check up appt monday and am trying to think of a thank you gift for my surgeon as I am so very completely happy.

Hope everyone is good.

OMG I have just read all your posts orangevegie Im booked in august for a tt bl and ba... How do we get to see your photos? Sounds a little scary that's for sure. Is the swelling from having been opened up in surgery or is it from something else?