Sign in to follow this  
J

Breast feeding queries

I haven't had any children and don't intend to for a very long time, but I'm just curious when I do, if I don't choose to breastfeed, are breasts greatly affected by pregnancy or is it breast feeding that really takes its toll?

With me it was the breast feeding mostly, you do get a bit cubbier and swollen all round when pregnant and your boobs are getting ready to work, but when your feeding your boobs really go for gold. If your baby goes onto the boob soon after birth it's only colostrum they get so your boobs aren't big straight away, it's their sucking that stimulates your milk to start producing. Probably the longer you breast feed too the worse the toll on your boobs. I feed mine for a year each!

I've had 3 babies and unfortunately was only able to breastfeed for 4-6 weeks with each. This did very little to my boobs and they went straight back to like they were pre pregnancy.

I didn't breastfeed and took tablets to stop my milk coming but I have to say it was the pregnancy that changed them.

I lost the upper pole that I did have and they dropped which is why I'm now planning a redo. I gained 3 cup sizes just from the pregnancy and now at just over 4 months post pregnancy still haven't lost any size.

i fed my son for 18 months and my boobs were fine the second time around, i fed my daughter for 16 months and then when i weaned my boobs just disappeared.

But the upside to breastfeeding was i lost ALL my baby weight plus more. I didnt lose weight from feeding the first time around but with my daughter i kept losing weight way past my pre pregnancy weight and did not stop losing weight until i weaned

i fed my son for 18 months and my boobs were fine the second time around, i fed my daughter for 16 months and then when i weaned my boobs just disappeared.

But the upside to breastfeeding was i lost ALL my baby weight plus more. I didnt lose weight from feeding the first time around but with my daughter i kept losing weight way past my pre pregnancy weight and did not stop losing weight until i weaned

Thats what I found too Fox, it was great for loosing weight! I ate ALOT and had to eat more fats just to keep weight on, but once I stopped feeding I had to be good again, haha :)

I haven't had any children and don't intend to for a very long time, but I'm just curious when I do, if I don't choose to breastfeed, are breasts greatly affected by pregnancy or is it breast feeding that really takes its toll?

You should do your homework before you make that choice and speak to some Dr's because there is a lot of evidence that if you are able to breast feed it is a lot better for your baby in the long run. Not to say your baby wouldn't otherwise be ok, but it's a lot better to give them breast milk. Lots of studies done on this.

Dolly I am a trainee pharmacist, I get a million breast feeding questions at work a day and speak to at least ten baby formula reps a year, I am well aware of the pros and cons of breastfeeding. I also didn't mention in my initial post that my doctor did stress that I may not be able to breastfeed regardless.

my boobs got huge while I was pregnant and then bigger again with breastfeeding. TBH I think breast is best, now I don't want to start an argument because Im aware lots of women can't breastfeed and that doesn't make you a bad mum, in fact i'm all for formula if its necessary. HOWEVER if you chose not to breastfeed just coz you don't want saggy boobs, well i'm not down with that at all. i'm not suggesting for a minute that this is your intention. however, some women have amazing boobs when they stop, I have a friend who started with B cups and when she finished feeding her FOUR babies she's now a nice D cup. everyone is different. - Jemm I would like also to clarify that some of this isn't directed so much at YOU, as other women who may read this thread :)

I'd like to remind everyone for a second that my question was theoretically, if or when I have children in the very distant future (I am 19, so very, very distant future) and can't or choose not to breastfeed for whatever reasons future Jemma has, will the pregnancy itself greatly affect my breasts. I was not saying "I don't wanna ruin my new boobs so I'm not going to breastfeed".

Hey Jemm, I get that - as I said, I was answering your question directly but felt that I should add some other comments in, to other young (or even not so young) girls who will probably read this thread wondering the same thing. :)

well my two cents on the breastfeeding debate comes from my own personal experience as a mother and a member of a parenting forum for a few years. Ill break it down for everyone:

1. if you breastfeed you are a perverted freak and your baby is going to still be breastfeeding when they are in high school

2. If you formula feed you are the devil, your child is going to be obese and have diabetes

damned if you do damned if you dont. People have their own reasons for why they do or dont do things and breastfeeding your child or formula feeding your child is not going to be bad so long as the baby is being fed - no one should feel the need to justify their choses. We are pretty lucky to have a choice in how we feed our babies.

so with that out the way, i dont reckon you can know how your body will respond but they do say to look at your close relatives i.e. mum or sister and see how they held up. But actually, my sister had twins and breast fed them and her boobs were fine after and she had NO stretchmarks. me on the other hand, i copped it

Jemm there is no answer to your initial question, really.

Every one is different and you won't know until it happens.

I breastfed both of my boys but I think even if I didn't, the breast size I gained during pregnancy, A to a full D, still wrecked my boobs!

unless I would have been one of the ,rare lucky ones that keep that size increase. Most boobs shrink done to in my experience smaller than PRE pregnancy size, or it feels smaller coz they are saggier.

Dolly I am a trainee pharmacist, I get a million breast feeding questions at work a day and speak to at least ten baby formula reps a year, I am well aware of the pros and cons of breastfeeding. I also didn't mention in my initial post that my doctor did stress that I may not be able to breastfeed regardless.

That's great. I'm sure there are great formula's out there but of course the reps are also trying to sell a product. I was just saying, it is always better to speak to your Doctor first. You can't mind read through a short forum post. I'm glad you are well aware of the benefits of breast feeding having done a Bachelor of Pharmacy.

I think what happens post pregnancy has a lot to do with genetics. Some women get bigger and stay bigger and others lose a lot of size.

Hey Hun, I've had 3 kids and never breastfed(personal preference) before pregnancy I was a full,delicious D!!! And after, I'm a sad, squishy, saggy, empty C. If that. It's just skin lol. So even though I never breastfed, it still affected my breasts a lot. I also only out on 12kgs with every pregnancy.

my boobs got huge while I was pregnant and then bigger again with breastfeeding. TBH I think breast is best, now I don't want to start an argument because Im aware lots of women can't breastfeed and that doesn't make you a bad mum, in fact i'm all for formula if its necessary. HOWEVER if you chose not to breastfeed just coz you don't want saggy boobs, well i'm not down with that at all. i'm not suggesting for a minute that this is your intention. however, some women have amazing boobs when they stop, I have a friend who started with B cups and when she finished feeding her FOUR babies she's now a nice D cup. everyone is different. - Jemm I would like also to clarify that some of this isn't directed so much at YOU, as other women who may read this thread :)

Why is that? I don't intend to have kids but I wouldn't breast feed (for selfish reasons) and yes the baby can be a normal healthy child on formula and bottles.

*don't want to start a parenting sh*t fight I'm generally curious* :D

My babies have never been sick and have developed perfectl, so I too do not understand the breast is best theory. I do however understand the 'breast is cheaper, easier and more convenient' theory lol haha

I don't thats the way Jess would have meant to have come across donatella. but u would be so surprised at how much I got judged as a mother for choosing not to breastfeed, it was horrible. And at birth class everyone looked down and talked down to me when I told them I wasn't breast feeding. And being a young un married mother didn't help me. And when I told them that I didn't believe in dummies u should have seen all their faces, it was like they never heard of a mother NOT using a dummy, and they all told me I would cave...3 babies later and there's never been a dummy in our house, and I had all my babies sleeping through from 5 weeks and self settling. Is nice to run In to all the mums from birth class and tell them how great my kids are, especially when they tell me about their 3yr olds that still don't sleep through the night and they still have to co sleep. BOOYAH lol.

Haha it sure can! U should have heard wat was being said at my birthing class. They were horrible about the whole subject, some people are just too passionate about their opinion. Lol.

How come u don't want kids D?

I don't have a maternal bone in my body and children and I have a mutual dislike for each other, it's funny how kids are perceptive to that even as babies!

The thought of having to care for something (other then dogs that are pretty easy going) 24/7 scares the crap out of me, I quite enjoy my selfish life. I will die lonely and I'm totally comfortable with that :p

I don't have a maternal bone in my body and children and I have a mutual dislike for each other, it's funny how kids are perceptive to that even as babies!

The thought of having to care for something (other then dogs that are pretty easy going) 24/7 scares the crap out of me, I quite enjoy my selfish life.

I agree totally with the above. I could almost repost the same but change dogs to cats 

I have a lot of nieces and nephews and don't have a real bond with any of them as I think they also sense how I feel.

Sorry... I didn't mean to comment only on this but I also don't have kids and found Donatella's post interesting. However I have friends from both angles both for breast feeding and one friend who couldn't and I know the flack she copped for not breast feeding.

Bwahahah Don... You sound like me 5yrs ago... Now I have 2 kids!!!

Ps I love breastfeeding and I highly recommend for mums to try it it's a beautiful thing.

I also think handing the baby and a bottle to their dad is also a beautiful thing.

For me boobies where, cheaper, easier and cleaner and always with me. When I switched to formula it makes harder when you have to take bottles, clean bottles etc. but you can let nanny or friends help with doing the actual feeding.

They both have their pros and cons and it comes down to personal choice and parenting is hard enough with out worrying about judging each other.

Yes everyone has their personal preference. So if you are going to have your opinion keep in mind it can be a touchy subject and type with tact :)

Chinchilla, will you and hubby have kids you think? My niece (16 months) and nephew (8 months) really have never bonded with me, but I have never cuddled and played with them either. It just doesn't interest me. I spoil them in other ways like buying expensive outfits. They will appreciate one day :D

Sorry to go OT here :p