Sign in to follow this  
Chinchilla

My hair disasters over the past 3 days!!

Argh! I'm so depressed at the moment. I know it's only hair but since Saturday I've just felt like crying. I went to my regular hairdresser who I've been seeing for about 10+ years to get ombre'. I'm normally blonde and wanted to go a darker colour up top and stay blonde down the ends. After being at my hairdressers for 3 hours I ended up leaving with hair that was a bright red on top and a green in the bottom. As my hairdresser didn't have the time to dry it while I was there I didn't really notice how bad it was til the next morning. I sent her a text asking what I could do and she suggested washing it with a cleansing shampoo to get the toner out or go back and see her so she could fix it (which I couldn't do as I couldn't get there). After half a dozen washes it still looked really bad. Fast forward to last night I ended up at a salon I had always wanted to try. I needed half a head of blonde foils and a toner to try to fix the situation. After the colour the advanced stylist suggested thinking out my hair to reduce the bulk as I have such thick and wavy hair. I said that's ok but I don't want any length taken off as 1) I'm trying to grow it 2) I wear a sock bun 2-3 times a week as I think they look good and are easy to do and look professional and 3) I've spent the last 4-6 months training my hair to only need to be washed every 4-5 days and I do that by wearing the sock bun. As she was cutting my hair I notice a fair bit coming off but I honestly thought she was just thinning it but no, I've now got a pony tail that's a good two inches shorter from shorter layer all over that won't go up in the sock bun, let alone a regular bun and is a mix of ginger and blonde. From where I was 4 days ago to now, I just hate it. I'm dreading washing it as I'm sure it's going to look shocking in it's natural wavy state. I don't have the time or energy to blow dry it as I go to the gym 5-6 days a week atm and it would just take too long. I'm not sure where I'm really going with this but my husband is sooooo sick if hearing me whinging about it. I know it'll grow back as my hair grows quick but I now it's going to be at least 6 months to grow and another 6 weeks til I can get it coloured again as it's now been coloured twice in 3 days already. I'm also after some recs for a good hairdresser in Sydney if anyone knows of one. Sorry for the long whinging post but I really feel so down about it.

Oh I feel your pain I love my hair and just hate when something like this happens :( I cut a fringe into my long, one length (like to my bum long) hair and had a full colour blonde, which I told her to leave a bit longer as I knew it wasn't long enogh when she went to wash it out, but she wouldn't listen! As she was washing it I saw how red it was (relax- let it dry I told myself) but nope.I was a Ranga.. Nothing against rangas but that's not what I paid $170 for.. And I said I wanted a piecey.. Thin not to straight cut fringe to ease me into the whole thing - and it was literally the thickest-Straightest- heaviest bang I've ever seen! IPinned it back as soon as I got out of there! And I've only just grown it out two years later haha. Worst mistake ever.. Hair is such an important thing but give it a few weeks and you can get it done again.. At least it's not a bad tattoo :) the original hairdresserShould fix it for free too, the colour obviously was stuffedUp and that's her fault- they usually do. I would go back.. If you can of course. I recently did a home job blonde (omg I was so scared but couldn't get in and had so much regrowth I could have been ombré lol) and it was pretty good but the toner gave me purple- yes purple streaks From my previous blonde foils. Lol but it was kinda on trend with all these pastel hair colours lately haha..Good luck :)

I'm so sorry to hear how upset you are. I remember the last time I paid for a haircut I asked for a trim and ended up with layers 2" long. Firstly, I think you should go back to the salon and stylist that cut your hair, and demand a refund or compensation. The outcome from your first experience sounds awful as well you poor thing! Its probably a little late to go back there now though and complain unfortunately. My suggestions would be to use Nioxin number 7 which helps promote growth, and alternate with protein and moisture treatments to help repair the damage from lightening your hair. The other expensive alternative, and you could ask the salon where you had your hair cut/chopped off to contribute, would be to get a Brazilian 'straightening' treatment. Best of luck x

Wow I would 100% go back and complain about the cut. I would also call your original stylist to explain how unhappy you are and that you won't be coming back. You've been going to her for ages so that's going to be a huge loss to her. Can I also just say that her original response was so unprofessional and appalling. You've been a loyal customer for over 10 years and she doesn't give a sh*# if your hair is stuffed? Not good enough.I'm really tough about this stuff. I've had my hair effed way too many times. Last time u had bad service for a $500 treatment I left a scathing online review. They called to apologise and do my hair again. (Stuffed it up then too!). I also had a really bad blow wave a few months ago (hairdressers that can't do a blow wave shouldn't call themselves hairdressers). When I saw how disgusting it was I told her to stop right now, put my hair in a bun and walked out without paying. Need me to call and complain for you?? Hahaha I totally will. I love that stuff!

It's just so stressful being a female. And Georgia, no offence taken to the ranga comment. I'm naturally a red head (well strawberry blonde and my other body hair is red - my husband calls me fanta pants at times which is why I'm always neat there so it doesn't give him any ammo to pick on me (TMI)) and my mum has deep red hair, so that's where I get it from. Anytime I get a colour it throws red so I have to be very careful. Also I'm in the process of having 3 tattoos laser removed so I know all about that particular pain lol. I'm also glad you're now at the stage where it's good again :)My original hairdresser did offer to fix it but she's so far away and I literally could not get there this week and I have a bunch of meeting on Friday so needed it fixed for them. I also think with the cut, it's not a bad cut its just not what I wanted and it's too short. I don't think I can go back and complain as I didn't say anything at the time and I really don't have the energy to do so now. I've had it keratin straightened before but it doesn't last in my hair unfortunately (like Botox). I've not heard of Nixon # 7 before but I'll look into it, thanks. If it helped your 2 inch layers it may help me. Gosh, 2 inch layers should have been pretty shocking! Thanks for sharing your stories. They've given me a bit of a laugh :)

Omg! Haha I wish I had your balls.I'm always so scared to complain! I hate confrontation so I rarely complain.. And I do sometimes have the feeling that if they stuffed it up once they'll probably stuff it again.. But in this case shed been going for ten years so I think she deserves a free redo and probably some products to make up for it too!

Haha I knew there would be a red head on here who'd be like "Ranga! Oh no she didn't!" But you know what I mean when you want blonde and it's orange. Lol mine throws gold alot hence why I use the purpleShampoo to help control that between colours. I'm naturally a mousy brown / light brown colour so always go between brunette and blonde.. I think it's also the shock of having something you don't like it just makes you so upset and disappointed, once you've dealt with trying to style it for a few days the pain isn't so bad :) it's just a pain in the ass waiting for it to grow back :) silica isGood for hair too there's special tablets that help hair skin and nails so maybe worth looking into... Or eat alot of cucumber haha x

Thanks for the offer Kle008! I can image you doing that with the blow wave. I did send my original hairdresser a message saying I won't be coming back and I know she understands. I don't think it was unprofessional as such as we've developed a relationship over those years and I think she felt I would go back to get it fixed. It was just that I couldn't and now have made matters worse. I think if I had just gone back it wouldn't be so bad but I didn't and now have to work with what I have.

Chincilla that sucks babe :( urgh there is nothing worse than having a bad do - we spend so much time and money in our hair that when someone stuffs it (or 2 ppl in ur case) it's a huge blow xx I'm really sorry babe I hope when you get in done in 6 weeks you can get some kind of improvement happening xx

Thanks inde12. I think that's the worst part. It was two separate lots 😡

I've woken up this morning and am now at the angry stage, so I am going to call today and give feedback on the cut. I know there's not much they can do but I know I'll be angry with myself for not saying anything. It's not what I wanted and they need to know.

Good on you for making the call! It doesn't matter if it was the most amazing cut in the world, if its not what you asked for (which by the way hairdressers are trained to interpret what you say/mean etc) then you've got every right to complain x

Good luck with the call. Let us know how it goes. Honestly it's good for them to get this feedback too, even though it will sting. They obviously need to work on something so they should take it as constructive criticism.

This sort of thing always happens to me when I try to be brave and try a new colour. Happened when I tried balayage (was a horrible 2 tone brown and orange not blended at all), half head of foils (ginger tinge) so now I stick with my tried and tested chocolate brown semis and their variations as nothing else goes right and I end up spending over $300.

If I were you i'd look at a darker shade so as your hair has no more bleach, a semi would be perfect as they are conditioning but you should get one of the other 2 hairdressers to correct, there is no way you should fork out any more money.

Dona, this is the first time in many, many years that I've had a bad experience. I even went dark brunette from blonde and back to blonde again without problems.

The phone call went well. I'm such an emotional person and cry when I'm angry, when I'm frustrated etc and my voice was starting to crack while I was explaining how unhappy I was. The salon manager said she could feel how upset I was, she said how sorry she was and said that while we can't do anything about the cut being too short (which I already knew), they will give me a complimentary cut and treatment next time.

Regarding the colour I went back tonight to see another stylist who wove some high and low lights in, put in a treatment and gave it a blow wave, all free of charge, and it looks so much better. She really knew what she was doing and I feel comfortable to go back and see her again.

They handled it really well and professionally and they could also see the problem with the cut and the attempted fix of the colour. They thanked me for letting them know how unhappy I was and they appreciated the feedback and the opportunity to fix it.

I am so glad I called. Thanks for all the support and encouragement. It really means a lot to have this forum and the support from everyone xx

Just saw this, but so glad they fixed it up. There is nothing bloody worse than a bad hair experience!!

I normally see my sister, long story short we dont speak as of 2 nights ago so now im desperate for a cut and colour!! Might colour myself?? any product suggestions?

Just saw this, but so glad they fixed it up. There is nothing bloody worse than a bad hair experience!!

I normally see my sister, long story short we dont speak as of 2 nights ago so now im desperate for a cut and colour!! Might colour myself?? any product suggestions?

Miss Bec, go to Telleish Hair Studio in Port melbourne. Best place ever. No joke. They are just incredible!

Just read this! Im glad you got it all sorted but it is always so upsetting when hair gets messed up!!! I have given up on hairdressers for the time being as I have just had so many bad experiences - I know cut and colour my hair myself at home and never have a problem!! I really want a change now though and might have to venture into a hairdresser ... Uh Oh!

Honestly I find the best places to go are small businesses. There's two near me that I usually go to and they're great. If its just one woman that owns the salon with a small staff they're usually a lot better as they take more care and don't take one three clients at once and get apprentices to do most of the work. A lot cheaper too! Only downside is if something did go wrong they don't have a head office or anything so I suppose you'd just have to trust they'd handle it the right way.

Wow Lozz. Colourings one thing but cutting your own hair is impressive! I've got really think and wavy/curly hair so it would be so hard to do myself.

Jemm, the salon I was going to was a local salon. I started seeing her when she had a salon then she moved to work out if her home and I followed her there. It is a good thing having a personal service but I'm now liking the new salon.

I've also now decided I want to get extensions so I'm going this week to have a consult and get pricing but they have advised it would be about $1200. I also got a quick quote today from a salon and they quoted $2200 *gasp*. I almost fell over.

I've been using extensions for about 6 years and have never heard of paying that much. What method, weight and quality is the hair? Do you know?

I prefer clip ins and can recommend two amazing suppliers that will cost you under $220 and is brilliant quality.

The $2200 quote was for 60cm great lengths extensions. It was for 100 as I have a lot of hair and need a lot of the extensions.

The first quote is just based on my hair being seen when I was having the colour correction and I get the actual quote and details on Tuesday.

I thought about clip ins but I wouldn't use them. I'm too lazy to put hem in every day and also take them out at the gym. I'd prefer to have the permanent ones and have someone else maintain them which is what I'd do. I'm lazy but if someone else is doing it, I go :)