Sign in to follow this  
Jennys

Had 1 st consultation yesterday. So excited

Hi all, I went yesterday for my 1 st consultation with a PS here in Australia and I must say I was really happy. He was so friendly and full of information. He did an examination and feels that we would get a flat tummy result because most of my fat skin roll is below the belly button. i would have a slightly higher scar but this would give me the best results.We also talked about doing my breasts as well for a lift or reduction and he suggested a small reduction as he noticed the large dips in my shoulders from the years of carrying DD -E boobs around. he also said that if I chose a reduction this would mean I got something back form medicare but should not decide this based on this fact. I explained to him that I had had a quote form a hospital in Thailand but I felt it would be right to consult Drs in Australia before I went there and that the main reason i was planning on Thailand was solely cost factor. I did tell him that i was going to do all the maths and if i was going to spend just as much money in flights, accommodation, and drs as i would on having it done here i would prefer to stay here as i would have to be travelling alone. He spent time talking with me over the possible complications and weather i would be likely to experience these based on my health. We talked about the pros and cons of going overseas and he pointed out that there are some excellent Drs there but to be careful who chose.Then came the crunch time.... i asked for 2 quotes. one for just getting my TT done and one for getting both TT and BL/BR done.I was staggered to find that i may have enough money to actually get it done here after all. I felt his quote was very reasonable in comparing it with the quote form thailand if i take it all into consideration I reckon it will cost me just as much money either way.I came home so excited that I would be able to come home and rest and recover here in my own bed and not have to stay in a strange hotel for three weeks and then deal with an 8 hour flight home. all i need to see is some before and after photos and i reckon he might be the one.I have another consult with a cosmetic surgeon tomorrow and will see how that goes too.looking forward to this so much now..... YAY I CAN'T WAIT.

That's great to hear that you had such a great consult. I would also prefer to be as close to home as possible and able to see

the doctor for any issues you have following surgery. My consult is in July so hopefully I will be just as happy as you.

P.s there was a lady on here not too long ago who had a TT in Thailand and when she got back things went horribly wrong. She got a bad infection and had a large area of skin on her tummy turn black and die! While the surgeon in Thailand was good in staying in contact, he was useless as he was in Thailand and she was in Australia. According to the PS she seen in aus for some post op care, the Thai surgeon used a very old technique on the incision site, which is a common technique in Thailand. I can't remember her name but one of the other girls might be able to tell u.

Very exciting. Just a question though - you mentioned getting a quote from a "cosmetic surgeon" tomorrow....do you mean plastic surgeon or cosmetic surgeon? For the uninitiated, there is a BIG difference in the training and experience and qualifications between the two, so please be careful when choosing especially when undertaking such an enormous surgery like a tummy tuck. If you do decide to go with a cosmetic surgeon, ensure that they are at least a member of the Australasian College of Cosmetic Surgery. The cosmetic surgery is a largely unregulated industry - unlike plastic surgery - so you need to exercise caution. Good luck!

I agree, definately do ur research on cosmetic surgeons, even though their are some dodgey PS out their too. Just be careful and research research research!!!

Hey there ladies,

JJ Melb: Yes i did say a cosmetic surgeon, and yes I have researched the difference. I only went to see this lady as she was recommended by a lady where I work because she had a BA with her.

I would probably prefer the plastic surgeon at this stage.

I went to see the Cosmetic surgeon today and she does TT ops along side her partner who is a plastic surgeon form Victora. I have been asked to go again tomorrow to meet with her partner for no additional cost and get his opinion as well.

She had a look at my tummy and poked and prodded (as they do) and suggested I have a Fleur De Lys tummy tuck. This leaves me with a scar up the centre of the tummy as well as across the hips. Not sure if I'm up for this but the plastic surgeon said I could ask any question i had of him too so i will ask his opinion on this one.

Still waiting for the quote from this lady though. A lot comes down to the cost as I have a tight budget.

I have been thinking about the difficulty of going to Thailand alone and looking after myself after such a major surgery. I guess I would either have to pay an agency to assist me or pay a second flight for my partner to come and this would cost us a fortune as he is self employed. So by the time I take all of this into consideration it would definitely break even to get it done at home.

I could even afford to have both a TT and BL for this price.

So ill go again to see the surgeon tomorrow and see what their quote is then ill make a decision.

Oh the lady today showed me some compression garments and i did not realise they were full body things. These will be rather hot in december.

GETTING EXCITED

Well Hi again ladies,

Just a follow up to the consult with the cosmetic surgeon.. I went and saw her partner but did not feel he was right at all. He had fairly good information but made very little eye contact and I just did not feel comfortable with him at all.

To top it off I got the Quotes from the CS and she was more expensive just for the TT then the Plastic surgeon was for both TT and BL so I will be booking with the PS on monday.

Sometimes it's worth having a second opinion if only to know that your first consult was fantastic. Good luck with your planning, it's a really exciting time, and kind of scary too :)

Jenny I did exactly the same. I was in Thailand for work so I had a consult over there. By the time my hubby was included for support and a longer stay due to tt and BA/BL it worked out the same as a plastic surgeon in my home town Canberra. So i had mine 3 weekes ago. I am sooo glad I had my own place to come home to. I am having issues with spitting stitches so it is nice to be in the same place as my Ps as him and his nurse sre taking care of dressings and looking after these issues for me. Goodluck with whatever you decide.

Hey there Grippster,

I have been reading your posts about your recovery and I must say you have had an interesting recovery between constipation and pain. what has been the worst part of this journey for you? whats causing you to have stitches splitting?

Hey there Grippster,

I have been reading your posts about your recovery and I must say you have had an interesting recovery between constipation and pain. what has been the worst part of this journey for you? whats causing you to have stitches splitting?

Hey there the spitting stitches can just happen from any op that has dissolvable stitches. Is your body rejecting them from what I gather but dont quote me on that! Still quite sore. Hmm the worst part of my op would be the side issues like having my period and the constipation. If I had not had those issues it would have been a much better experience. To be honest the pain in the first four days is excruciating or was for me only when coughing, getting out of bed etc but overall it was manageable. Just lying there I could hardly feel any pain. My first four days were pretty messy but if you asked me if I would have and am I pleased I did it my answer is for sure! Just make sure you take sufficient meds to avoid constipation!

Gripster.. thanks for the info. so with the splitting stitches does that mean you have unhealed areas that have opened up?? did they need to be restiched or did you just cover them.

Hi Jennys

I would agree totally with the advice about going with a PS not a CS. The TT is a big procedure. I had mine done just under 4 months ago, and while the result has been amazing in terms of changing my body shape and putting everything back where it belongs after 2 big pregnancies incl twins, I have been VERY grateful to have had the support of the surgeon and his nursing team locally. Some of the things I have needed them for are follow-up visits and phone calls about scar treatment including having some 'migrated' sutures removed, dressing of incision where sutures have migrated rather than dissolved, and dealing with an infection. Just last week at a PO checkup the PS has offered scar revision to fix up the trouble spot - no extra charge. None of the consults have cost me anything. I'm not quite sure how any of this would have been dealt with if I'd had it done OS, or by a cosmetic surgeon.

In the grand scheme of things, you need to weigh up the risks associated with the procedure you're having and your comfort immediately PO and the impact on your family/ support people. The financial burden is considerable no matter what and in the long term, what will the savings be worth if you choose a cheaper option with someone you're not 100% comfortable with, or if you need PO medical support and it's not readily available?

Hope that helps affirm your decision - good luck!