Sign in to follow this  
Rachel800

Centrelink payments

Is this topic still too raw to discuss??!!

This thread isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but more of being able to express your opinions freely.

Do people have the right to spend their centrelink payments on anything?!?

Whether it be for alcohol, designer handbags and shoes or pedicure?!

or should it be used purely on your kids!?

Is this privilege abused by many?

should the government monitor where this is spent?

While this may be a touchy topic, I think its important to understand that we r all different and have different circumstances so we are all sure to have a different point of view.

Hi Rachel,

a few of you may know my story but other not. I actually didn't read the low income original post that was on this just read about it in other posts.

My story is I am a survivor of neglect and abuse, I was kicked out of my mums home when I was 12 and had to live with my biological father who was on a disability pension. He would use this money to fund his alcoholism which fuelled violence and often meant my brother and I went without food regularly, we didn't have clean clothes and my bedroom window which I slept under was broken and I'd be cold a lot of nights. He chose to use the money that should of been for our family (him, my bro &i) to have food and shelter - he used it on himself to get drunk every single night.

Im 31 now and still suffer with stupid anxieties about food and trust and a few other issues because of that low life.

I think the basics card (where portions of welfare can only be spent on certain things) is a great idea - particularly for kids who rely on the good judgement of their caregivers for the basics.

I think the government and tax payers have a right to know what our tax money is funding.

i think welfare in some cases is abused.

i think it should be spent on the family for their collective good - not on material luxuries.

I don't have children, but previously received Centrelink payments as a full time uni student. All of my payments went to rent and bills, it was not enough to cover food so I have worked all through my university degree to ensure I had the other basics and also a little extra for other things like clothes etc.

There is no real structure to the system in order to make sure that the payments are spent in the "right" way, and quite often the payments aren't used for the necessities.

I just finished working at a school where there were children who were in third generation welfare homes and none of the grandparents, parents etc. had worked a day in their lives, and this is what the children are brought up with. No one in their familial lives encouraged them to achieve and strive for the best they could be.

I believe that I used my payments in the correct way, and know in myself that I have a great work ethic and work my ass off and still struggle but continue to keep working to get to the end of my degree so I can become a teacher and perhaps stop some of the things like relying on payments after school due to no work ethic or goals.

There will always be kinks in the system though, which is sad. But there are people who do need the extra assistance in their situations and I don't think everyone on payments can be put into a lazy or wrong-doer box - not saying you are Rachel :) but lots of people tend to.

Personally I'm using the baby bonus payments towards my redo. I chose to have my baby in a private hospital without health insurance which cost me a small fortune out of my savings. The savings were for my redo so the baby bonus is helping to replace some of those funds (I'm still out of pocket heaps more though). I don't regret my decision to go private despite having to save again for my redo when the money was there before. My baby has everything that she needs her nursery was fully done up and painted and furnished, she has clothes on her back, nappies and formula, toys. If I was having trouble meeting her needs the baby bonus would go on her as she comes first. We receive family tax benefit which we try to save but sometimes it goes on groceries, fuel, formula, etc if something has come up leaving us short. Recently I joined the gym for 1 month using 1 of our payments but that was a one off. I think if the child's needs are not being met then absolutely the government has a right to say what the money goes on but if the child is being put first then I don't think it's their business what the money goes on. I really hope no one judges me for spending the baby bonus towards my redo but pregnancy really changes the body.

I believe as long as all the childrens needs are met then it is up to the mother to do what she wants with the money left over after bills, rent and what not. My kids have everything they need and I save a little bit from my payment each fortnight to go towards getting a BA one day. I have no other source of income and would love to work but at the moment it's just not suitable for me to do so. Bottom line is that my kids will always come first and anything left over is mine to save :)

Personally I'm using the baby bonus payments towards my redo. I chose to have my baby in a private hospital without health insurance which cost me a small fortune out of my savings. The savings were for my redo so the baby bonus is helping to replace some of those funds (I'm still out of pocket heaps more though). I don't regret my decision to go private despite having to save again for my redo when the money was there before. My baby has everything that she needs her nursery was fully done up and painted and furnished, she has clothes on her back, nappies and formula, toys. If I was having trouble meeting her needs the baby bonus would go on her as she comes first. We receive family tax benefit which we try to save but sometimes it goes on groceries, fuel, formula, etc if something has come up leaving us short. Recently I joined the gym for 1 month using 1 of our payments but that was a one off. I think if the child's needs are not being met then absolutely the government has a right to say what the money goes on but if the child is being put first then I don't think it's their business what the money goes on. I really hope no one judges me for spending the baby bonus towards my redo but pregnancy really changes the body.

Cupcuke85 - your baby girl is clearly well loved and looked after :) When I was working in retail I saw lots of family bonuses being spent on gaming devices such as PS3's and violent games - clearly nothing the kids benefit from, and the kids would come in with the parents without shoes on and tatty clothing. I try not to judge, but in those situations it made me irritated. Considering that you had the money saved, and then spent it on your daughter, it really just sounds like a matter of you could have spent the bonus on hospital care, but you don't get it till after the baby(?) so you spent your savings instead. It sounds like you are doing the right things for your family, and yourself :)

I have a 4 year old daughter and am currently recieving a centrelink payment for her. I also work in childcare. I always put my daughters needs first. I always make sure there is food on the table for her, new clothes/shoes, toys (just gone a little bit crazy at a toy sale for Christmas/birthday), swimming lessons, gymnastics and dancing. She is a well looked after little girl. The money for my BA will be out of my pay from work! Costs for children never end but they are worth every cent and more that you spend on them :)

This thread isn't aimed at anyone in particular, but more of being able to express your opinions freely.

While this may be a touchy topic, I think its important to understand that we r all different and have different circumstances so we are all sure to have a different point of view.

Hi Rach :)

Being a public forum, I don't think anything should be too raw on here (i.e. if you don't like what you read, ignore it and don't contribute to it...you only have to Google other sites to find the different views are still out there...so it's best to "deal with it")

1. No, I think it's to contribute to the cost of raising children;

2. Definitely not to be spent on cosmetic surgery and designer gear, etc. Being on Centrelink payments ultimately means you need financial assistance to some extent...so buying/purchasing/indulging on these items when you can't afford it, probably isn't sensible...even if you are unhappy and miserable about how you look (many people are and some people are starving for food...so some perspective is needed);

3. I don't really have an opinion as to whether it's a privilege except to say that it's more a child's right to receive the money rather than anything else (if it's not being spent on day to day costs, then it should be put away for education and not spent directly on the parent). If you want extravagant items, you may need to work for the money to allow for the purchase of the "extras"...for want of a better word;

4. The government should most definitely monitor the payments to the extent possible. Blue Cards, vouchers, etc, seems to be a good initiative in addressing the situations where children are abused.

I was absolutely abused, sworn at and called names (seriously) last time for having my opinion on this. The reality is...you're accessing a public forum. If you don't like the content, simply don't read it. If you want to respond, then you're having an opinion - so don't blast others for having one contrary to you.

My response is absolutely not aimed at any one person and it is my opinion - just that. I'm not saying that I'm right and a contrary view is wrong...it's just what I'm thinking about the subject today.

:)

Hi Rachel,

a few of you may know my story but other not. I actually didn't read the low income original post that was on this just read about it in other posts.

My story is I am a survivor of neglect and abuse, I was kicked out of my mums home when I was 12 and had to live with my biological father who was on a disability pension. He would use this money to fund his alcoholism which fuelled violence and often meant my brother and I went without food regularly, we didn't have clean clothes and my bedroom window which I slept under was broken and I'd be cold a lot of nights. He chose to use the money that should of been for our family (him, my bro &i) to have food and shelter - he used it on himself to get drunk every single night.

Im 31 now and still suffer with stupid anxieties about food and trust and a few other issues because of that low life.

I think the basics card (where portions of welfare can only be spent on certain things) is a great idea - particularly for kids who rely on the good judgement of their caregivers for the basics.

I think the government and tax payers have a right to know what our tax money is funding.

i think it should be spent on the family for their collective good - not on material luxuries.

oh my - this absolutely shatters my heart into pieces - reading this, I just wanna cuddle and comfort u!

thanku for sharing - xxxx

and I'm sure there are many stories out there like yours....

Hi Rachel,

Big hugs to you! Inde, your situation as a child is the very reason I can't stand money being misspent. Thanks so much for sharing it with us - you rock! xoxox

Sorry Rachel but I think it is still too raw to discuss, especially when someones feeling were hurt last time, if they see this again they will think they are constantly being targeted. I always say if in doubt don't. I agree with cupcake on this as long as the childs needs are being met first then thats fine, I think its common sense really.

My problem with the whole thing is how do you monitor it? Where do you draw the line.

I received FTB supplement last year and i used that money to spend on my uni books - at $300 per book for some subjects they sure cost alot of money. Likewise, I receive the CCB rebate each quarter which is half of my out of pocket expenses for child care.

I can tell you that my husband has a successful transport business and we most certainly do not need family assistance to meet the costs of raising our children. Our family tax benefit payments that we receive (if any) is paid in one lump sum payment at the end of the year, when our accountant has lodged all the tax and other paper work for my husbands business.

Last year our business made a few large purchases, which bought the annual revenue down, therefore our earnings down, but saw an increase in the equity in the business assets.

So i actually received quite a nifty little sum of money. None of it needed.

Am i a bad person for spending it on my uni books, or my kids daycare? what happens if i spend a little on getting my lips fllled? or buy a new couch? or a 1000inch mega tv?

What makes some of these things ok and others not

I dont see how there can be a blanket generalisation on these payments for everyone.

I can afford to provide a roof over their heads, food in their bellies and most importantly give them the love and support that a child deserves from their parents.

I actually think thats the heart of it. A parent who is loving and caring and doing the appropriate things society expects of parents would not put their needs ahead of their children's. id sooner go hungry so that my kids can eat and any respectable parent would do the same. Children dont need private schools, or expensive clothing.

If you are adequately caring for your children then what does it matter what you are spending your money on.

Why stop at centrelink payments? maybe all parents incomes should be controlled so that at least a portion is spent on their children. I mean, why discriminate against the poor or those in receipt of some sort of payment?

There are plenty of wealthy people out there who neglect their children. My own husband is a case in point. Spent many nights starving and without food whilst looking after his baby sister when he was only 10 years old whilst his mum disappeared for the weekend. But is it ok because this abuse occurred in a million dollar house?

Neglecting your children, failing to adequately provide the basic essentials in life amounts to child abuse and these offenders should be prosecuted and the children protected from them. But i fail to see the correlation between centrelink payments and child abuse. They are two separate things.

My problem with the whole thing is how do you monitor it? Where do you draw the line.

I received FTB supplement last year and i used that money to spend on my uni books - at $300 per book for some subjects they sure cost alot of money. Likewise, I receive the CCB rebate each quarter which is half of my out of pocket expenses for child care.

I can tell you that my husband has a successful transport business and we most certainly do not need family assistance to meet the costs of raising our children. Our family tax benefit payments that we receive (if any) is paid in one lump sum payment at the end of the year, when our accountant has lodged all the tax and other paper work for my husbands business.

Last year our business made a few large purchases, which bought the annual revenue down, therefore our earnings down, but saw an increase in the equity in the business assets.

So i actually received quite a nifty little sum of money. None of it needed.

Am i a bad person for spending it on my uni books, or my kids daycare? what happens if i spend a little on getting my lips fllled? or buy a new couch? or a 1000inch mega tv?

What makes some of these things ok and others not

I dont see how there can be a blanket generalisation on these payments for everyone.

I can afford to provide a roof over their heads, food in their bellies and most importantly give them the love and support that a child deserves from their parents.

I actually think thats the heart of it. A parent who is loving and caring and doing the appropriate things society expects of parents would not put their needs ahead of their children's. id sooner go hungry so that my kids can eat and any respectable parent would do the same. Children dont need private schools, or expensive clothing.

If you are adequately caring for your children then what does it matter what you are spending your money on.

Why stop at centrelink payments? maybe all parents incomes should be controlled so that at least a portion is spent on their children. I mean, why discriminate against the poor or those in receipt of some sort of payment?

There are plenty of wealthy people out there who neglect their children. My own husband is a case in point. Spent many nights starving and without food whilst looking after his baby sister when he was only 10 years old whilst his mum disappeared for the weekend. But is it ok because this abuse occurred in a million dollar house?

Neglecting your children, failing to adequately provide the basic essentials in life amounts to child abuse and these offenders should be prosecuted and the children protected from them. But i fail to see the correlation between centrelink payments and child abuse. They are two separate things.

If you don't "need" it...maybe you shouldn't receive it. Begs the question...if you don't need it why are you receiving it?

I'm not entitled to any family assistance of any type...so it is controlled to some extent.

Sorry Rachel but I think it is still too raw to discuss, especially when someones feeling were hurt last time, if they see this again they will think they are constantly being targeted. I always say if in doubt don't. I agree with cupcake on this as long as the childs needs are being met first then thats fine, I think its common sense really.

Not so "common" when the thoughts are so diverse. Just a thought...

If you don't "need" it...maybe you shouldn't receive it. Begs the question...if you don't need it why are you receiving it?

I'm not entitled to any family assistance of any type...so it is controlled to some extent.

But i never said i should receive it, the fact is i do. Automatically actually.

The fact is, there are many many people in the same situation as I am who receive payments they dont need. Back when my son was born the baby bonus was not means tested, so I got that too. I didnt get it with my daughter as it became means tested at that point and i certainly didnt care.

So maybe the real issue is that people are receiving payments they dont need? I probably think thats the heart of everyones issues but it has somehow gotten mixed up with the child abuse dilemma.

I believe that first and foremost children should be taken care of.

Once all of their needs are met (food, clothing, education, etc.) then whatever is leftover should be able to be spent however the parent chooses.

I don’t have any children myself but even I know that being a parent isn’t an easy task so I think everyone should be able to do something nice for themselves once in a while.

Why should a mother and/or father be deprived of anything a little more than a necessity just because their personal circumstances mean they are unable to work?

Everyone’s circumstances are unique and not everyone who receives payment/s is a bludger just sitting on their *ss at home choosing not to work. Some people simply don’t have the option of working.

If they can look after their kids well and are still able to save a little bit extra for themselves then I have absolutely no problem with that.

Not so "common" when the thoughts are so diverse. Just a thought...

your right teebee common sense isnt so common anymore you've just reminded me of that, neither is empathy of others feelings so it seems.

Yes, and the family payments to people who don't need them. Seems crazy.

To you and me both. Granted, work wise wasnt the greatest year for our business but we did make significant purchases therefore reducing revenue but increasing assets. So yeah, our taxable income was lower then it has been in the past hence why we received the supplement.

We all receive assistance through some means, be it tax offsets, medicare levy, family tax benefit, child care benefit, private health insurance rebatet.