Sign in to follow this  
Grippster

Shortness of breath 1 week post op

I was just wondering if anyone has had any shortness of breath at all 1 week post op. I have been. They checked all my vitals etc before I left hospital. Do you think its just me recovering. I panic at times about health so I wouldnt want to end up with a clot in my lungs or something! My op was 7 hrs long.

I have had it since op but seems worse today. I never really did coughing or breathing exercises after op....no pain associated with it. So when i take a deep breath I have to cough too.i have become more mobile yesterday and today...

Normally with lung PE you would get pain with the SOB so I wouldn't think the worst just yet.

BA's are painful enough on their own but couple that with a TT and I do believe it's a very big operation! If you are concerned tomorrow go to your GP, if they are worried they will send you for an x-ray.

Are you sitting in at least a 30 degree angle? Lying flat will only make it harder to breath.

Thanks Don. Last night was the first night I slept flat as my PS said I can when I feel comfortable. Maybe thats why as well as its worse today after sleeping flat....yeah I might go to doc on Monday if its the same. I will sleep slightly elevated tonight and see if it makes a difference. Def no pain with it. It was really hard to cough for my exercises in hospital due to having the tt. It was excruciating!

Definitely present to your GP if you're worried but I know with the BA at least it does feel very tight in the chest for a good week or 2. Definitely prop yourself on a little angle tonight if nothing else that will definitely aid your breathing.

I believe the TT is excruciating, I don't know if I could ever do it, you'd a brave lady :)

I had this shortness of breath for about 1week post op especially on waking in the middle of the night etc.., and the coughing or feeling like I needed to.

I kept having nightmares I had got pneumonia lol!

:)

Yep, I was short of breath for a while, just felt that I couldn't take a deep breath properly. The woman who did my lymphatic massage in hospital told me every hour to concentrate an taking a few deep breaths. I put it down to the compression garment as well as the abs being so mucked up after the muscle repair.

Thanks girls. I think I will be fine as my compression garment is quite tight on the lower abdomen so I think I am breathing from my upper chest only. Will try and be more diligent with my exercises.