Sign in to follow this  
GeorgiaP

Big offer! Singapore?

So my husband is a chef and got a phone call from a friend of one of our regular customers at the place we used to work at together ... Long story short... He has an offer to go work in Singapore !!! My daughter and I would be going too.. I have to go meet with my hubby and the employer today at 2:30pm I'm just so nervous! We don't know much yet other than that! And it's so exciting and scary and OMG! I don't know what I should be asking this guy..

Like where we will live, what my daughter will do for schooling (she's only 2.5yrs but goes two days a week to preschool) and I would hate for us to do this and put her behind developmentally, she's really smart and thriving at the moment..

He said that there would be work for me to if I want it but what about Livy? And OMG. My head is spinning...

I just had to tell someone! I didn't want to tell my parents or friends etc and have it all fall through so just needed some where to vent.. And possibly hear from someone who's been to Singapore before?! What's it like... Is it safe for little ones etc.. I don't want to let her out of my sight and have a Madeleine McCann case on my hands (extreme but you have to think of the worst case scenario) arghhhh!! And eeeep. Hahha .... Hellllppp!

Oh well that is exciting! I have been to Singapore (stayed for a few days on my way through to London) but this was 10 years ago and my memory is hazey. I remember it being very humid, but great shopping! You will fit in well as their sizing is tiny ie a large is a size 8 here LOL

Omg how exciting I've been to singapore and its the safest and cleanest Asian counrty I've been to with my kids you will love it, my hubby and I want to live there but could be hard for us with 5 kids as no houses more apartment style living, they also have an international preschool / school and high school there for expats soooo jealous right now lol !!

Thanks mumoffive that sounds awesome with the international schools- I will have to wait and see what the offer is with this guy! Hahha it's very exciting. I think if we were to go there even for a year now is the time.. Ill let you all know the details this arvo! My head is going a thousand miles a minute at the moment! 😃

I was in Singapore for two weeks last April, my friend and her husband moved there as his a stock broker and he was paying too much tax here and there's next to no tax over there they have since spilt as he was cheating with Asian bar girls which they do have but u can't pick them as it's very discrete over there unlike Thailand and they dress classy anyway back on track as even thou its low tax everything is so expensive for eg $20 for a schooner of beer! it's full of business people and they all drive late model Porsche Lamborghini ect and your standard car is a range rover.. My friend rented 10 minutes out of the city in a two story 3 bedroom house at $2000 a week and her two girls were in a private school for $40,000 a year each! It's very clean city but when I was there I never seen another blonde I guess it's because bleach is banned and no dressers have it and theres absolutely no tanning products just skin whitening products everyone wants to be white not tanned.. Questions to ask how much is rent and who pays it? How much is schooling? Transport? If the place your staying at will be furnished? It cost my friend 8-10g to ship everything over there in a container. Weekly wage written up in a contract? Clothes and food shopping isn't cheap either but a flight to Bangkok is about $49au one way.. Good luck

The international schools in singapore are world class, you should definitely do it, i would do it in a heart beat. Most people i know who have gone to live over their for work get a Nanny and cleaners etc as part of their salary package. What an amazing opportunity.

Omg- looks like ill have to dye my hair brown again!!! Noooo!! Haha I'm fully blonde haha. And no tan? Ok deals off.

Lol kidding. But it will be an adjustment haha..

And the rent! Holy crap! I will be asking if housing is included!

Thanks for the advice and I'm so excited now!

Singapore is awesome!!! I'm so jealous!!! The schools there are amazing and they start younger than here, she won't be behind but actually in front. You won't need to drive their public transport is amazing :) alcohol is expensive though. Clothes can be expensive depending where you shop but for example, chinatown is really cheap, so is little india. Its also very very clean! the food is wonderful, service is amazing, omg you'll love it

Hi GeorgiaP,

This sounds like a wonderful opportunity for your whole family - how exciting :) please let us know how the meeting goes and what the perks are :)

I love Singapore its such a beautiful, clean and safe place - what a great experience for your daughter to experience another culture - you may need to import tanning products - but who cares :)

xxx

Hey all! So meeting went well, he's flying my hubby over to Singapore as soon as his passport comes to look at housing and get a feel for the place to see if he definately wants to go over... And yeah.. Opening the restaurant in August so yeah! We need to work out living costs and housing cost to see if it is viable but won't know that til he is over there really... I will have a look online but where do I start? Haha crazy!!

That's very exciting! I really liked Singapore. It's very safe - they are quite strict and the punishments are severe, probably safer for your children than Oz.

Just don't get caught with chewing gum!

Omg yes the chewing gum lol I wanted to buy sum for plane trip back and went into 7-11 shop and asked if they had any I totally forgot about banned chewing gum cashier looked at me like I was trying to buy illicit drugs lol he was horrified that I even mentioned it oops !!

Hey babe, that offer sounds so good!

We were actually going to move over there a few years ago but decided otherwise.

Check out this site http://www.singaporeexpats.com great advice for expats regarding rentals - very comparable especially if your paying Sydney prices.

And there is fake tan available, and bleach (I had my hair coloured over there!) it's not that backward! Cars cannot be over 10 years old as insurers will not offer insurance to old cars, hence there are a lot of new cars on the road.

The schooling system is second to none and Livy would excel if she started school there and if you guys moved back to Australia - she'd be streaks ahead.

Best of luck with your decision, keep us posted! xx

Hi Georgia congratulations on your hubbys job offer, first of all international drivers license is easy just got to a RACQ or NRMA etc and fill in some paper work, I was in Singapore last week and while the city is very clean I found a lot of the area outside the CBD to be quite dirty but it may just have been the hazy, it was so bad that the visibility was down to 500 meters so you could barely see down the street, that said it is supposedly the worst haze/smog in 16 years, but it is worth checking out online if this is common as it was so bad children were not allowed at school and one asthmatic lady died from an attack brought on by the smog. just something to look at and hopefully it was a freak thing that wont happen to often. good luck with everything