Sign in to follow this  
Victoria White

Breast implant removal - no replacement - Dr Craig Rubinstein.

Breast explant or breast implant removal with Dr Craig Rubinstein

For anyone looking to have their breast implants removed, I highly recommend Craig Rubinstein. It's four weeks since I had my implants removed (22 year old silicon implants, both ruptured) and he has done a wonderful job. I was scared to have it done. On first meeting with Craig he made no grand promises about what he would be able to achieve. He told me that as my implants had hardened considerably and were possibly ruptured he would need to remove the capsules as well. From my understanding, the risk associated with this procedure is that it can result in slightly less breast tissue and if there is very little breast tissue to begin with the breasts may heal in a slightly misshapen way. He was upfront about this. He was matter of fact about it and with no sales guff I almost thought his attitude was a bit flip. But on meeting him for a second consultation (which he likes his patients to have before they proceed) I realised something so fundament about him that it meant I was convinced he was the right surgeon. In the second meeting I had done my homework on the procedure and was questioning him from my list of prepared questions. He was patient to a point but then stopped me after I asked if his anesthetist would give me lots of fluids. He told me that I needed to let he and his people do their jobs. He in effect told me not to interfere and he did it in such a simple, honest way. Not arrogant but firm. Having worked in a creative field for twenty years myself, with clients, I realised that what he was doing is what all artists have to do if they want to perform with excellence - and that is they must remain a little aloof from the client, they must create a breathing space for themselves, apart from the client, so that the clients fear cannot contaminate the perfection of their work. This is what Craig was doing; actually in a very humble way. Not to overstate it too much but I do really believe he's wanting to work in an atmosphere of freedom and love and not by fear. He cares so deeply that he tries to keep free

of you so that he can perform at his optimum. This is an artist. When I realised this about him it made his boyish evasiveness endearing. He doesn't personally care whether you have big breasts or small breasts. What he cares about is helping you to feel happy with yourself and in doing a beautiful job. I think, as so many women clearly do (see the hundreds of letters of deeply felt thanks from previous patients in his waiting room) that he is a gem. He likes women. And just in case you missed possibly the most important point - he did a wonderful job on my breasts. He performed something he never even promised; which is that my breasts are beautifully shaped, balanced, have less droop and have so much breast tissue remaining that neither my husband and I can believe it. I've moved down one bra size but so slightly that no one in my immediate family could possible tell there has been a change. The scar is minimal. He put drains in and there was virtually no pain. His team is amazing: fantastic anesthetist, wonderful, kind nurses in theatre who obviously all enjoy working with him and impeccable after care. In summary, apart from being a highly acclaimed surgeon he’s a good person and I’m happier than I could have imagined with the breast implant removal he performed.

This post really struck a chord with me- we need to let our surgeons do their job. This forum is great that we can ask so many questions, but I feel that sometimes we as women want to control everything. And you can't. These people know what they are doing, yes there is a place to ask questions, and so we should, but there is a limit to what we need to know. Do your research on them, tell them what you want, and let them do their job. I'm very happy for you that you got a great result. Can I ask why you decided not to have new implants? If that's not too personal.

Wow that's great. Glad you had such a positive experience. All the best to you! So true, we all freak out before going under but at the end of the day you need to put your trust in someone with the correct expertise and just go with it.