Sign in to follow this  
NaeNae

flights after surgery...

Hi everyone :) i live in far north queensland and am flying down to brisbane for my BA, i am supposed to fly home the day after my op. My surgeon said i would be fine. When discussing everything with a friend of mine, she made the comment 'your game flying so soon after a BA, arent you worried about blood clots' i havnt researched this at all yet, should i be worried? Im young and very healthy :) thanks

Hi NaeNae. I flew from Bangkok to Brisbane (9 hours) 3 and a half days post op (for personal reasons I left earlier then I should have). I will admit it wasn't the most comfortable plane ride but I did not suffer any ill effects from doing so. Get up and move heaps and hold your chest on take off and landing, cuddling a pillow worked a treat. If your surgeon says you can then it should be fine.

Flying the day after surgery can be risky. Generally you would be in a fair amount of pain and/or discomfort, as well as on medications that will make the flight difficult. you may also still be nauseous from the anaesthetic.

When I was looking at flying back down to sydney, the surgeon told me that they want you to stay for at least one week before flying home.

The reasons were mostly post operative care. You should have a post op check up the day after surgery, and also at one week. So surgeons like you to be able to come in for those.

If your surgeon says that it will be fine, then its up to you.

Personally I much preferred being close to my surgeon post op. So if anything goes wrong, or you're worried about something its much easier to see them.

I have my surgery on a Friday in sydney and I'm aloud to go home Monday but must have a check up Monday first. I'm going home the Tuesday though. And it's only an hour and a half flight from home to melbourne.

I'm flying to Perth a week after my surgery. Already booked the post-op appointment so I can catch the afternoon flight. I'll have my Mum with me so she'll be the one lugging my luggage and giving me support. Absolutely can't wait for that week as it's also my birthday (boob job 12 days before my birthday eeek!) and I haven't seen my parents since February.

Thanks for the help everyone, my op is first up tues morning n i fly home mid arvo on wed- its a two hour flight. My mum is coming with me to help with my bags etc. Im not really worried about the pain more about my health. Dont wanna die or anything. Ill have to do some research coz i dont know anything about blood clots. I also cant extend my stay coz my daughter is only 2 and im already stressing on leaving her for three days... but thanks again to everyone, ill def start looking into it! :)

Hi Nae Nae lucky for you this is my area of specialty, im a cabin manager :) It will be fine my doctor said I could fly 48hrs after my op, and i flew a wk later because I wanted to chill in syd a bit more and enjoy BUT people have their boobs done and fly straight after all the time, i know because they tell me just incase something happens lol (i just laugh when they tell me). People have all kinds of surgery and fly shortly after and ive never heard of a flight being diverted or a medical occuring because of a surgery complication. I think the blood clots your friend is reffering to is DVT deep vein thrombosis and this only occurs on long haul flights because of the ongoing pressure and it only generally happens to people with a pre existing ocurance or famlily history and it happens in the limbs. This is why your doctors dont recommend going on long haul flights after surgery as DVT could occur, it can actually occur alone after surgery without flying. Wishing you safe blue skies xx ps you might want to take an ice pack

you would be tired and in pain, but medically, you could fly. if its a short flight you'll be ok, I flew 3 days after surgery 1.5hr flight - just wear compression stockings and move around as much as you can. you wont be able to lift bags or anything though so I hope you have someone to help you.

:) thanks heaps! Makes me more confident haha... my mom is coming with me to help with my bags etc, ill move as much as i can lol. Umm are compression stockings the same as ones youd wear to work etc? Like the black and flesh colour ones?

i dont think compression stockings are necessary for any flight under 5 hours, at $40 a pop its just not worth it, i wear them everyday just to minimise the possibility of varicose veins but i fly 12 hrs a day usually. A 2 hour flight isnt going to do anything to you just take your meds before the flight have your icepacks for the pain that you would have felt on the ground anyway...and sleep, you dont even need to get up and walk around for a 2 hr flight, you will not swell up on a 2 hr flight. When people come up to the galley and stretch on an hour flight it infuriates the hell out of me lol im thinking oh stop being melodramatic just sit down haha, just think of it as a car trip if you wouldnt need to get out of the car and move around after 2 hrs then you dont need to either on the aircraft. I suggest boarding first or last as people are jerks and could bump into you during boarding and yes dont lift any bags.

I still had my compression stockings from surgery so I just popped them back on, I figured better to be safe than sorry, for the sake of putting on a pair of stockings....well it cant hurt. I actually always get up and walk around coz if I don't my back seizes up - and yep you should see me after a long distance drive, which we do a lot of since we live in the middle of nowhere - im not a happy person. I intended to get up and walk around but then I fell asleep, lol. you also don't need to get up and walk around, there are plenty of things you can do while sitting down to keep your blood moving. and drink heaps of water. and yes, ice pack for sure!!!