A little disheartened!!!

Hi all

I am new to this forum and like my title says, my first consult today was a little disappointing!

The surgeon I saw was great, his work is fantastic, he took hs time talking to me and made me completely at ease, if it wasn't for the price, I'd be booked in!

I am looking at a TT was no muscle repair and a BL with implants, I unfortunately don't have enough left to make them a decent size, anyway I'm going to be looking at $22000!!!

I honestly was not expecting that amount at all! I don't want to skimp on a quality surgeon but at the same time, I just can't justify spending so much !

Im in Sydney and have appointments to also see dr Geoffrey Lyons and dr hervey stern, has anyone had experience with either of these PS?

i have also heard good things about Dr Mark Moore in adelaide, has anyone used him? Would prefer to stay in Sydney, but if Adelaide is the right price????

Any word of wisdom would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks

Welcome to the forum, the girls here are amazing and so lovely!!

I'll let others more familiar with TT give you advice on which surgeons but cant you go on the waiting list and get your TT for free? My sister and friend have done that.

You might wait a bit longer but you could always pay for your boobs to get done first while your waiting??

Hi kaz77, I felt exactly the same way when I had my consult for rhynoplasty, except mine was 15 k not 22, however I bit the bullet and paid what I thought was an extreme price and haven't looked back! For how much this operation has changed my life. Would happily have paid double! I'm not much help but to say in my case it was definately worth the dollars and then some!

Hi kaz, yes it's a lot of money but your looking at 2 procedures so its not that bad. I paid just over 10k for my tt (by the time you factor on surgeon fee, assistant surgeon, the little lipo I had, anethesist and my private health fund excess.

I got back just under $1500 from Medicare and private health. Though the ph did pay all my hospital expenses for my 5 night stay :) as the tt I had was with muscle repair and had a Medicare item number.

I had my first consult with Geoffrey Lyons and was extremely disappointed. I was in and out in about 15 mins and wasn't satisfied with him (but that could have been me). The quote I had from him was $8500 odd with no lipo as he doesn't do any for sculpting at the time.

as far as I'm aware there is no free tt done in nsw and definately no bl and ba's.

i ended up having my surgery with dr Steve Merten and couldn't have been happier. Yes it's a whole lot of money but the results and change to the rest of my life is well worth it!

Good luck

I don 't think that you will find there is a dramatic difference in price amongst reputable plastic surgeons, some may be higher, some may be a fraction lower. Adelaide prices I think are ever so slightly lower (as in, you may save 1 or 2K but not much more.) I am having a TT in August and that is 12,500K, I was going to have a BA done at the same time which is 13,500, but my surgeon deducts 15% for 2 procedures. I've decided against the BA at this point in time though.

wow those quotes / prices are high.

I just had two quotes for TT alone and Conmbined TT and BL.. one form a cosmetic surgeon for 15K and 20K respectively. and one from a PS for 7k and 13K respectively.

My TT was 12500K and BL/BA was $13500, eyelid lift 2K plus cost of implants, two medical bras, binder for tummy and 3K plus for aenethatist ( however u spell it lol ) so I get a few K back off medicare for eyes and tummy and aenthatist. Adds up pretty quick!

Thank you everyone for the replies and advice and encouragement!

I am not giving up yet, I will see a few more surgeons and see what I get out of them!!!

I was thinking about doing one at a time and then save more but I think I would prefer to do both at once, just in case I chicken out and don't go back for the second round!! Lol

I may even have to realise that I may have to wait till next year to do it instead of being in such a rush to do it, like, yesterday please ;-)

I am going to book myself some flight to Adelaide and see dr Moore, I have seen pics of 4 ladies he has done both tt and bl for and they look fantastic and the prices were great (they didn't have implants though)

Again thank you all for your support and warm welcome, hopefully soonish I'll be sharing my surgery experience

Kas xoxo

Good luck Kas. While you are in Adelaide you may want to book in one or 2 more consults with other surgeons - may as well if you're already there! My BFF is in Adelaide and she had her TT and BL with implants with Dr Katsaros. I can't comment on price as it was 10 years ago she had it done, but she was happy with his results. Good luck x

Hi all, well I have found my surgeon!!! I'm flying to Adelaide!!

I have been in contact with 8 of his patients on another forum that I am a member of and they just rave about him. All the befores and afters they have shown me are excellent, all reviews of him are fantastic and I have found details of him being awarded an order of Australia for his work in plastic surgery here and charity surgerys in east Timor for burns victims etc. He is a member of the Aust plastics association and has been practising for 20years! By all accounts, he is highly recommended and well respected!

So the price....... Drum roll please $7500.00 max out of pocket expenses for TT and breast reduction !!

On advice I have decided to not have implants, 2 surgeons have recommended just the lift/reduction saying that I will have a decent size and will be nice and perky and that I may find this enough, implants can be added later if I do really want them, so saying that, with my kids age and breast lift/reduction I get item numbers for both breasts and TT!! Woo hoo no hospital or theatre fees for me! Saves so much, and the cheaper surgeon fees are great too!! Gotta love Adelaide!!

so it's booked!!! 23rd Sept is my day!!! I'm not longer disheartened, I'm slightly crapping myself, ok ok ok, more than slightly!! Lol

Kas

Thanks orangevegie, so very excited but so scared too!!! Cut myself with a razor today and it hurt, lots, and all I could think was a big cut across my tum!!!! Then I remembered about drugs! ;-p

Tummymumma- his name is Dr Mark Moore he is at Calvary north Adelaide hospital, which is one place he operates but also where his rooms are!! Phone: (08) 8267 4566.

Surgeon fees- TT- $3000, breat lift/ reduction $3850, gasman between $2000 to $2500.

If you get item numbers and have top hospital cover you'll get $1660 back for the procedure And then you'll get some back for the gas man fees but unsure of the amount at this stage. Say $400 worst case!!!

What are you looking at having done???

Kas

Hi Kas77, If you are looking for a great surgeon, my surgeon in Hobart is great. He is head of plastic surgery at the Public Hospital here and he is the guy that all nurses recommend. I know Hobart isn't on your radar, but I am having BR, BL and Mini TT and my out of pockets are only $3,800 with PHI, I realise you still have the costs of implants to contend with but it might be worth a call to his practice. His name is Frank Kimble. Hopefully that helps. Best of luck :)

Kas it's good that you're doing lots of research and prep - as you've discovered it's a big investment! My TT with MR and hernia repair, with some lipo was $13K. Don't be fooled by the term "covered by medicare" because there's an item no. My hernia was caused by big babies and I chose not to go on the public list because the wait would be very long, and I needed to be able to schedule it when it fitted in with work and when I could get help from support people. I was also not confident that it would be fixed up as well by a general surgeon. But back to the point about being 'covered'... from the bills that amounted to $10 250, I got a refund of $1250.

My advice would be - do not scrimp on this procedure - go for quality and PO service. Good luck with your deliberations. :)

• 9 months later...

I went to see Mark in February (I'm from Geelong) as I heard great things about him. I've been quoted $3500 for abdo and $1000 for anaes. With excess, flights and accommodation (my sister will be coming with me), I'm looking at about $6000 all up, compared to $9000-$10000 for surgery in Geelong.

I still don't know what to do.

I'm booked tentatively in Adelaide for 11 July and Geelong for 17 July.