Sign in to follow this  
danielleb820

To all the nurses on here re grad years

I am just about to finish my nursing degree and I am wondering how many of you did a graduate year. I have been applying for a few positions and am waiting to hear back. It's highly competitive so I just wanted to weigh up my options if I don't get one. We have been told it is very hard to find a job if you don't do one as hospitals are reluctant to hire you. I also heard that agency's now want experience as well. It's even worse now the Liberal Government has pulled some of the funding the hospitals get so there are even less positions now than there was a month ago. For those who didn't do a grad year were you able to get a nursing job?

If you graduated after 2011 I believe to work in any public tertiary institution it was mandatory for you to complete a graduate year. And it is helpful, it provides further support and extra study days, which you really need. Because you don't realise how little you know

It's the worst time to be a nurse, no positions and even less for grads. I woods apply directly to NUMs where you want to work, if you don't get in and get clinical experiece you'll lose valuable knowledge and prac skills. I really feel for you guys!

I think the working in nursing while studying nursing is the best advantage you can have.

PICK did it but left nursing for education 2 years ago.

don't think that hospitals are all there is for Rns and een soooo many opportunities

since all you nurses are on this post, can I butt in and ask a quick question please, I have a heart condition, murmur, repaired hole in heart and mitral regurgation, just in the last week or so, my heart has been pounding hard, I can feel it, my blood pressure is fine and pulse also, I have had bad news lately and think it could just be stress related, I was admitted to hospital due to passing out a few weeks ago threw unrelated pain but the ecg found a blockage, I was kept in for the night and monitored then released in the morning, any ideas what this could be thanks

Playboy bunny, yes 100% get work as an AIN, this looks much better then someone who say has worked in retail for their degree. You'll learn basic nursing cares and already be fluent with routine and body fluids, this is a big selling point. I started as an AIN in aged care and couldn't be without the skills it taught me. I also felt it gave me a head start into the industry.

libby are you on regular meds and I presume aspirin or plavix? If you get any pain or shortness of breath id present to emergency otherwise could be stress related and you're probably not eating or drinking as well as you normally would.

If you graduated after 2011 I believe to work in any public tertiary institution it was mandatory for you to complete a graduate year. And it is helpful, it provides further support and extra study days, which you really need. Because you don't realise how little you know

It's not mandatory in Victoria but I am not sure about other states. Obviously it is in your best interest to do one but at least 50% (Or 1500 students) of grads this year will miss out. They were the statistics given to us by Uni. I am trying my hardest to get a position and am applying to everywhere I can. I have made numerous phone calls to ask if there is anything available even though it's not advertised. I just have to wait now until applications close and interviews start.

I'm from WA. When I was told that I thought that it was silly unless the state guaranteed every graduate a placement ...which they don't. I wasn't in that catchment so I don't know much about it. Nursing takes you anywhere, what you may find is that your dream job may not be available, however, there will always be one, it might entail going rural or out of hospital though :( I feel for you guys graduating. Unfortunately there will be a deficit in nurses in the near future, hence the push for new ones, the 12month EN programmes but there is also financial uncertainty.

The government shouldn't skimp on health, but let's be honest, since when have they gotten anything right.

Also absolutely work as an AIN, I did and it helped so much, I also did my EN bridging course in the second year of uni so I could work as an EN while finishing my RN- best thing I ever did

Libby1- they could just be stress induced palpitations that are harmless called ectopics. However, they could be representative of another heart rhythm that has slightly higher risks and should be seen to quickly- either atrial fibrillation or SVT. Just feel for your pulse and if it feels irregular consistently then pop down to your local emergency just so that they can revert your heart rhythm back before it gets harder to do so. if you have any further symptoms develop use your common sense and pop to your ED if necessary. Take care of yourself

I'm from WA so it might be different in QLD. But basically near the end of second year my university (Notre Dame Fremantle) informed us it was possible and said we had to complete one extra unit, one prac and done. Wasn't hard at all because you could do it on your holidays too.

My uni took care of everything so maybe just call your school of nursing and ask if it's possible, if not, you could try AHPRA

The trouble is there is no cap on the amount of students a Uni can take so it's all about money. At the end of the day you have completed your course and they are paid. It's a shame they wait until your in the third year before they tell you how competitive it really is. There will be a nurse shortage that's for sure and it's ok to encourage new ones to the profession but there needs to be the support when they graduate otherwise alot will drop out. I am happy to have a grad year where ever I am not fussed but I want to do one because I really want to have the extra support and mentoring for the year.