is cosmetic surgery a addiction ?

Cosmetic Surgery can become an addiction  

8 members have voted

1. 1. Cosmetic Surgery can become an addiction

• Agree
    • Disagree

Hi,

I am back with another poll.

Lot of people associate ‘Addiction’ only to drugs and alcohol, however one addiction that is often overlooked is cosmetic surgery addiction.

Cosmetic surgery addiction falls into a category of behavioral addictions as it reflects obsession and desire to alter body to look a certain way.

Most people can have just one surgery and be satisfied but it becomes an addiction when people compulsively go 'under the knife' to feed the obsession to look different or better.

There are few regulations on the amount of procedures a person can have, so addicts continue to find reasons to have a second, then a third and so on in their quest for 'perfection'.

No I don't think so, but people who tend to have addictive personalities might want more and more. Who can afford to be addicted to it? Lol not me.

I agree with don. I wish (I think) I could afford it. The other thing that would turn me off is the recovery & pain after. Although some people get off on pain (weird I know). Just look at all the people who get addicted to tattoos!!! I also HATE not being able to do things for myself for so long.

Having said this, my hubby asked me while I was still in hospital, I think it was day 3 after surgery, What surgery was I going to get next? I laughed (very gingerly mind you) & said he was crazy!

The only surgery I would now consider, after lots of diet & exercise would be leg lipo, but then again, I know how much all that hurts!

I haven't voted because I'm sitting on the fence on this 1.

I would still like larger breasts one day but I'll wait into these ones need replacing as I just don't have the time, money or patience to go through the healing again.

I am getting into a lot of Botox and fillers but that's because I've been getting them free at work :laugh: I couldn't afford it otherwise.

I was going to mention the botox along with the tattooing don, as I think that can get quite addictive as well (not that I have had any or possibly ever likely to get any. I have a MEGA needle phobia!

I faint :( sux to have that response, but I just cant help it)

& I'm sure ANYTHING would be easy to get addicted to when it's FREE!!!! :cool:

The injectable side of cosmetic surgery can definitely get addictive as it's more attainable and less downtime with instant results!

& less permanent don? Something that has to keep being updated? Like getting your nails refilled? (that I have experience of lol)

I would have to agree with don on the injectables, my aunty works for galderma, there for I was getting free fillers and Botox. Unfortunately she has used the max amount for the year and now can only use them strictly for work purposes. I know have lots of forehead lines and my lips could do with more filler and can't I afford (coming up to Christmas) to pay to get jabbed! Sad times for me ha

I have to say yes it is addictive! I suffer from BDD and the thrill of going through with my breast augmentation surgery and seeing the fantastic results, made me start thinking into my next surgeries within a few days of my op. I'm looking into more cosmetic surgery (not just boobs) at the moment, planning my next journey :-)

I think the addiction is really hard to measure ie whether its the brain or whether you think logically....for example i am a work in progress. I still want to get my arms and legs done after having a TT, BL/BA, eylid lift amd lipo. Some may say once I get the other procedures that i am addicted whereas I already had in my mind that my body is a work in progress. Fix one part at a time as now i have other body parts out of proportion to my new bits. If my legs and arms were normal size I could just leave it......therefore no addiction. Painting a room in a house has a roll on affect where you need new carpet and furniture too. Is that an addiction. Again you would need to determine the personality type. Thats just my opinion. Hope that makes sense!

I think the addiction is really hard to measure ie whether its the brain or whether you think logically....for example i am a work in progress. I still want to get my arms and legs done after having a TT, BL/BA, eylid lift amd lipo. Some may say once I get the other procedures that i am addicted whereas I already had in my mind that my body is a work in progress. Fix one part at a time as now i have other body parts out of proportion to my new bits. If my legs and arms were normal size I could just leave it......therefore no addiction. Painting a room in a house has a roll on affect where you need new carpet and furniture too. Is that an addiction. Again you would need to determine the personality type. Thats just my opinion. Hope that makes sense!

You nailed it, that's exactly what i am trying to research and prove on Addiction within Cosmetic surgery. I agree that people will do one procedure and then if they are happy they will look at options to enhance other body parts. As long as the surgery makes them happy and has positive emotional effects, increased self esteem and boost confidence, then even though it may be in the category of addiction but it should fit in positive side than negative.

Research has shown that people who have had cosmetic surgery are definitely happier than before and will recommend to friends and family.

I have to say yes it is addictive! I suffer from BDD and the thrill of going through with my breast augmentation surgery and seeing the fantastic results, made me start thinking into my next surgeries within a few days of my op. I'm looking into more cosmetic surgery (not just boobs) at the moment, planning my next journey :-)

Hi E.J,

You are not alone, lot of people who have experienced positive effects from the surgery, consider surgery again in the near future. I think Cosmetic Surgery has come a long way and now it has become more acceptable in the society and people are more open about it.

For something to be an addiction, doesn't it need to be destructive? As in having negative effects on mental health, finances, family, work, relationships, physical health etc.

I think that mostly, ladies undergo surgeries and put a lot of thought into it. We do engage in some obsessive behaviour but that's because we are making a huge expense and want to be safe and happy with the outcome.

I get Botox and fillers regularly to maintain the face that I like, but I don't see it as an addiction any more than viewing my moisturiser or cleanser as an addiction - to me these are simply parts of my maintenance routine. I've had 2 plastic surgery procedures but the reason for both of them was first and foremost reversing the effects caused by pregnancy. Down the track I can see myself having another procedure - to reverse the effects of ageing lol. I like the way I look and I want to stay looking like this!

It can have a negative impact if the person starts to have a distorted perception of themselves. Its a fine line as now I see my boobs as small because I am used to them. Granted they are only a DD but when I see them now I think they are tiny. So what was new and an enhancement can become the norm too so people need to be careful about how they see themselves.

I would love to get more work done on me like rhinoplasty for sure and if i cant lose the flab under my arm with hard work and dedication i think i might have to get liposuction, but Im not addicted I haven't even had surgery yet but I do think it can be addictive like everything! and those who can afford it I suppose are more at risk of having the problem lol