Sign in to follow this  
kashka

Medicare and Private Health cover for BA

Hi girls.

So today my surgeons assistant called to tell me that I have been grated Medicare approval for my breast augmentation (I have tuberous breasts) :D

Anyway, I have never had private health (im a dental nurse and get trt done for free, so paying for private health when I dont really needed seem pointless), however my Drs assisstant has said now that I have medicare approval I can get private health cover for my BA too... I looked into it and cover would cost me approx $100 a month for 12 months (Im not sure how much I would actually get covered). It would also mean I would have to wait to get a BA, Im currently booked in for Jan 13th 2014.

Im just unsure if its necessary to get the private cover? Im sure girls have gotten BAs without private health beofre right? Im aware of the benefits, but Im paying for this by cash and Ive been saving so hard for so long, I just dont want to bloody wait, especially if I wont get "that" much back...

My main reason for wanting it sooner is that im in Uni holidays and I wanted as much recovery time as I could get before I go back to uni and to work.

Hi Kashka,

My BA is costing all up about $14,500 inc surgeons fees hospital and anaethetist. Im told medicare will cover around $750 of my surgeons fees and also some of the anaethetist fees as well. I dont have private health insurance and my hospital fees are $2959. Im not sure how much private health would cover if i had it but that gives u a rough idea of what ull be in for :-)

That's what my problem is I don't know of it's "worth it"

Medicare is paying $1250, which is my hospital fee and my anaesthetist fee is $800...

My BA is 11,300 that's for everything, so I just take away Medicare and that's what I have to pay...

I don't know if I want to wait another 12months when I have the money etc now...

The only thing my dr assistant said was that if there just said if anything were to go wrong then I would be covered like infection CC etc

If I need a revision or fix up, does private health cover help with some of that in regards to hospital fees? I know they don't cover the initial elective surgery but...

Hey babe.

Private health in conjunction with Medicare will cover my hospital and anaesthetist and then if I were to (god forbid) get an infection or anything then I'm covered for any thing like that.

The only way I can get private health to help is because I got Medicare acceptance and it's "reconstructive" work not just cosmetic for me.

I talked to my folks and they don't think it's worth the 12 month wait and paying $100 and then prob having to pay excess too :/

That's what I'm thinking and that's what my mum said too that chance are the private health company will turn around and be like "oh yeah by the way we won't be paying anything blah blah blah"

i have the money and Medicare have come to the party so I'm happy to get it done in January :)

thanks for the replies girls x

I had asymmetry and I got $700 back from Medicare (only one side is covered), if I had have completed my waiting period for PHI I would have also had some cost of my implant as well as my hospital fees covered it would have been good but I wasn't waiting :) I guess it all depends on your financial situation.

Oh oh I was also allowed to claim tax on a certain portion too, on the 'medically necessary' side.

Lisa said to me I would get from $1800-$2300 back from medicare and private. So my BL is technically free

But I have had private health for years. In ur case I wouldn't be waiting either:)

See I'm only getting a BA no lift...

Yeah I'm a uni student and work part time so I can't afford the private health to then still be out of pocket.

I'm happy to proceed with the surgery in jan and just have Medicare assistance :)

I would get the item number and then phone private health to see exactly how much is covered if anything at all. If they were to cover a large portion of it say the operating room and bed fees which for me is $3975 I would wait the 12 months and get the private health insurance. If they were only prepared to give a rebate of $1000 or less I wouldn't bother because you would end up paying that anyway in fees. It really depends on the item numbers. I know for a tummy tuck the theatre and bed fees are covered with private health so if I do end up needing one I'm going to get the private health insurance and wait because I've been told it's a 5 night hospital stay which quickly adds up. Because your ba is reconstructive private health may cover the theatre room fees and bed fees.

I would get the item number and then phone private health to see exactly how much is covered if anything at all. If they were to cover a large portion of it say the operating room and bed fees which for me is $3975 I would wait the 12 months and get the private health insurance. If they were only prepared to give a rebate of $1000 or less I wouldn't bother because you would end up paying that anyway in fees. It really depends on the item numbers. I know for a tummy tuck the theatre and bed fees are covered with private health so if I do end up needing one I'm going to get the private health insurance and wait because I've been told it's a 5 night hospital stay which quickly adds up. Because your ba is reconstructive private health may cover the theatre room fees and bed fees.

I might do that yeah, and look into ut thatms cupcake 85