Sign in to follow this  
merlin

my BA story

The following is my experience of the day of my BA (it's a bit of a novel so feel free to skip to the important bits)

On the 31st of October my husband, 2 young kids and I were on our last day of a 2 week holiday, staying by the beach an hour north of Sydney.

We had planned to all checkout early and drive in to Sydney and on to the hospital together, but then we were told that it could take hours to get through Sydney at peak hour. So I made a decision to take the train to the hospital on my own and be picked up by my husband and kids afterwards.

It seemed like a very sensible idea at the time but when my husband dropped me off at the station that morning I suddenly felt really scared and alone (a few tears). But it turned out to be the best decision I could have made.

Instead of having to get up at the crack of dawn (which my husband would have made me do if we were driving), and having to sit in a car with him stressing about the time, the best route to take, what 'crap drivers' were on the road, as well as my 3 year old talking non-stop and the baby crying, I was on the 8.15am train from Woy Woy driving through the most stunning, peaceful countryside. I got a lovely double seat to myself and sat and watched the hawkesbury river drift by, with all the little houseboats moored on it and the little shacks built into the mountainside.

I could literally feel all my stresses floating away.

After an hour I was in Sydney Central, had a quick and easy changeover to my next train and about 15 minutes later I arrived in Hurstville. It was a beautiful sunny day and a busker playing an accordion greeted me when I exited the station.

I had a leisurely 5 minute walk down the road, and then there I was at the hospital.

The hospital itself looked very modern, and felt reassuringly professional.

I went to the reception area and waited there for about an hour, maybe a bit more. I felt a bit guilty being there because the reception area was full of all sorts of people, including lots of old people, probably getting some very serious surgery done, and there I was getting new boobs.

Then I read a message from Libby1 saying she was all checked in and waiting to go in for her operation, I got all excited and started typing back, that was when a nurse suddenly called my name.

Serenity, calmness - gone!

I went from feeling so relaxed and confident to a ball of nerves. The nurse took me into a room to ask me some simple questions, and it took all my concentration to be able to answer them correctly I was so stressed out.

Then she took me to a little booth to change into the little shower cap, hospital gown and paper shoes (could leave my undies on).

After that she took me to a ward and showed me my bed. She put a lovely warm blanket on me and I thought, oh good, now I get to read my book for a while and try and get calm again. But as soon as I put the blanket on the nurse said, you won't be in that for long, you're up next a nurse will be coming to get you in a moment.

Oh my god, panic stations. I wasn't expecting that. Next thing a very good looking, young, tall, muscular male nurse comes in, he says hello and tells me he'll be taking me in to the surgery room - I really wasn't expecting that... He wheels me into the surgery anti-chamber (the little room just outside the theatre). Then another good looking young, muscular man comes into the room and introduces himself as the anaesthetist - I definitely wasn't expecting that, and I'm starting to wonder if Dr Rastogi puposely hires good looking young men to distract and calm his female clients before the surgery.

The anaesthetist sits very close to me and talks to me in this soothing sexy voice with a half smile on his face, it felt so flirtatious, I'm trying to concentrate on what he's saying to me but I have to use all my will power not to smile at him and giggle like a school girl. I'm sure he wasn't really flirting with me as I definitely didn't look particularly sexy with my shower cap and hospital attire on, but such a wierd experience.

I was starting to panic that Dr Rastogi had forgotten to write on me and do his photos, but then out he comes from the theatre.

He was sooo lovely, even though theatre was ready for me he encouraged me to ask more questions, and went in to detail about everything. He had another look at my photos again and reassured me that I wouldn't end up too big and that I would achieve a similar look to the photos, and he again went over the reasons why these implants would be just right for me. He was so caring and kind that finally I felt relatively calm again and was ready to go into surgery (after I was excused to go to the bathroom for the 4th time!)

In the surgery there was fairly loud music playing, but the music itself was relaxing, it was such a happy environment in there. Even the overhead lights were multicoloured, like disco lights.

The anaesthetist put the "champagne" into my arm, and very quickly I felt that lovely feeling spread through me, and then I was out.

A woke up in pain, but was given meds to sort that out. A vaguely recall Dr Rastogi coming to see me and talking about the result and that it should be just what I want.

And then I was taken to the recovery area where I was sat in a recliner chair. I think I slept a bit and then was given a sandwich and cup of tea. Everything was a bit of a blur, but eventually I got up and walked around a bit and got dressed.

At a certain point the doors opened and there was my little son calling 'mummy', my husband and baby.

The drive to the hotel wasn't too bad thanks to the pillow suggestion I read on here. By the time we got there I needed more painkillers. And then I went to sleep on my back, I think halfway through the night my husband got me more painkillers but otherwise I had a good sleep.

My boobs look ENORMOUS to me, but I know a lot of it is because of initial distortion of the implant due to muscle compression, as well as lots of swelling and fuid.

I think it will take a while for my 'real boobs' to reveal themselves.

I will upload some pics from day1 soon if anyone's interested. But please send a message with any friend requests.

Also just want to take the opportunity to say thank you so much for everyone on this forum who has ever answered a question I've posted or has offered me advice or reassurance, I can't tell you how much it has meant to me and helped me on this journey. And especially want to say thank you to M10972, Libby1 and Jamily!

omg merlin reading this made me laugh and cry huni, love how you had good looking men hahahaha cracked me up, you are so welcome, you also gave me so much comforting through our journeys love and that has not changed, absolutely loved your story, so glad you are doing better and cant wait to see your new puppies, I woke up today and im sure mine have shrunk, really wishing I got bigger, I no that's so cliché but hey boob greed is real haha, all the best for the rest of our journeys my breast friend hehe.

merlin and maynegirl, did you get your period. I am not due for mine for another 2 weeks but after my BA the next day I got my period, rather heavy too, it was lucky I always keep pads in case or I would of been in trouble lol.

I got my period the day of. One of the nurses told me that there have been studies conducted that when females are in a situation like having an op our bodies release certain chemicals and causes our period. Obviously for every study out there one other will contradict it.

I got my period the day of. One of the nurses told me that there have been studies conducted that when females are in a situation like having an op our bodies release certain chemicals and causes our period. Obviously for every study out there one other will contradict it.

I thought it very odd because on this forum no one had ever mentioned it, I wanted to so girls can be prepared if it does happen.

Thanks everyone for your lovely comments : )

Libby, what a strange thing to happen. My period finished about 2 days before my op (thank goodness), and certainly no sign of it it since then. Good that you've mentioned it though, it might stop someone else from freaking out if it happens to them.

I've been out of action on this forum since my operation, so the following is a quick up date of my progress for anyone who might be about to go through this surgery.

DAY 1 after op:

Boobs and body:

Not much lower pole, but very swollen and high upper pole also very swollen at sides. A bit of bruising around left incision.

Pain:

Lots of pain especially under my arms, boobs, between boobs etc. Can't get out of or in to bed on my own. Can't stand up straight because of tightness in my chest.

Taking valium, panadeine forte, anti-inflammatory, anti-biotics. Feel nauseous and very tired.

Day 2:

Boobs and body:

boobs still look the same, swollen. Have started to get pockets of swelling on my abdomen, still have swollen tummy.

Pain:

Have stopped taking valium and panadeine forte because of nausea and feeling 'out of it'. Using normal panadol instead.

Still feel really nauseous though, have realised it's because of the tightness around my lower chest and the pulling sensation between my boobs.

Pain feels less intense than yesterday.

Day 3:

Boobs and body:

Boobs feel much less tight, they look similar but a little less full at the top, still not much lower pole.

Have lost and sign of my waist. Lots of swelling around abdomen and tummy (look about 3 months pregnant) - not attractive!

Pain:

Feel HEAPS better. Can get out of and in to bed on my own, really don't feel much pain at all now. Still very tight around the chest but if I try I can stretch my chest to stand straight with shoulders back.

Nausea is pretty much gone. But the tightness around my chest means it's hard to breath normally and get lots of oxygen, so I feel tired very easily and still want to sleep a lot.

But so much better today - can't wait until tomorrow!

Yay, I'm finally all updated - and I've uploaded my pics.

Hope everyone else is mending really well and are happy with their new boobs : )

Hi Merlin just sent you a FR, thanks for the detailed posts, would love to see your pics as I am having BA next month. Also what is the reason for most BA patients having bloated stomachs? Is it kind of like secondary swelling to the breast area, or another reason?

Hi Merlin just sent you a FR, thanks for the detailed posts, would love to see your pics as I am having BA next month. Also what is the reason for most BA patients having bloated stomachs? Is it kind of like secondary swelling to the breast area, or another reason?

Hi Chem reason is swelling with gravity moves downwards and should dissipate over the coming weeks after breast Aug, quite common ;) my a do swelling has all gone now ;)