Sign in to follow this  
Lokilady

Trouble sleeping

OMG last night I had the worst night's sleep ever. I am a week post op and have stopped taking all painkillers and medication except for Panadol maybe twice a day. Trouble is that without the drugs I am not drowzy enough to fall asleep in a less than comfortable position. I was previously a stomach and side sleeper.. I have many weeks of sleeping on my back and elevated ahead of me, has anyone had any experience with a sleeping tablet they can recommend? Something herbal maybe?

I had this trouble too. Wasn't in any pain just couldn't sleep. My gp gave me some valium to help relax my muscles. It worked as I could fall asleep. Even tho I still woke up a lot I could get back to sleep, which I couldn't do previously. It does get better.

I started getting a really sore back from sleeping elevated, so from somewhere around the 7-10 day post op mark I started sleeping flat on my back (was previously mostly a tummy/side sleeper). Sleeping flat on my back was WAY better than propped up! I never really suffered from morning boob though.

Somewhere around 3 weeks I started sleeping on my side, which was awesome! I am 6 weeks now, last night at one point I woke up & was on my tummy, it wasn't particularly comfortable though (probably why I woke up) so I rolled back on to my side.

try melatonin, it's been known to be very effective for a lot of people and more so than things like nature's own sleep tablets for example. You can get it from the chemist - it's with all the vitamins and supplements. Worth a shot if you don't want to get sleeping tablets :)

Valerian is a good natural sleeping tablet. Restavit isn't herbal but works wonders, I used to have a really hard time sleeping when my husband did nights and would take half a tablet to help me off to sleep but not have me so out of it I couldn't wake for my kids.