Sign in to follow this  
juliabanana

Silicone sheets on dissolvable stitches - when to start?

Hi everyone,

I am nearly fourteen days post op and my friend (who is a burns nurse) gave me some cica care silicone sheets to use on my scar to aid with healing. I'm not sure when I should start using them though? At my checkup last week Dr Harwood gave me the all clear to start using bio oil on them and they don't seem to be open - so should I wait for a few weeks or can I begin straight away? I want to do anything to minimise scaring because I scar pretty bad. Does it make a difference that I have dissolvable stitches because the instructions say not to use on stitches (removable ones).

Any advice? How long have you guys waited to start scar therapy? And do the silicone sheets really help?

Thank you! ;)

Hi everyone,

I am nearly fourteen days post op and my friend (who is a burns nurse) gave me some cica care silicone sheets to use on my scar to aid with healing. I'm not sure when I should start using them though? At my checkup last week Dr Harwood gave me the all clear to start using bio oil on them and they don't seem to be open - so should I wait for a few weeks or can I begin straight away? I want to do anything to minimise scaring because I scar pretty bad. Does it make a difference that I have dissolvable stitches because the instructions say not to use on stitches (removable ones).

Any advice? How long have you guys waited to start scar therapy? And do the silicone sheets really help?

Thank you! ;)

Hi JuliaBanana (awesome name BTW!) Just from reading lots of posts on this forum and JBI too, apparently you're supposed to use the silicone sheets when the incisions have completely healed … however I'd definitely give Dr Harwood a call or shoot him an email asking his professional advice about it (perhaps even attach a photo of your incisions to the email so he can see how they're going since your follow-up with him last week)

p.s. that was lovely of your mate to give you some silicone sheets :) They're sooooooo expensive!!! :)

My ps gave me a roll of it but I wasn't supposed to use it for a couple of months. When I saw him he said I was healing really well so could skip the silicon if I wanted because it's a bother and could go straight to bio oil at two months post op - as long as I continued to heal really well - otherwise at three months. My only issue is... I don't know what continuing to heal really well looks like to kknow whether I should start using bio next week, or in another five weeks.

But anyways... sounds like my ps has a different approach to yours!

my surgeon takes my dressings of this Thursday and he said on phone he will be giving me a roll of scar healing tape to bring home so this thread is interesting, I will see what he tells me tomorrow,