Sign in to follow this  
bindy82

7 weeks post op & a few Q's

Hi ladies. I am currently 7 weeks post op TT & muscle repair. I am stoked with the results, but feel like my overall 'shape' changes all the time. It's still tender when I touch my abs and around the belly button, which I expect is normal. When I look in the mirror at the moment side on - it looks a bit c-shaped - swollen at the start of my abs, then flat or a bit 'in', then swollen at the bottom .... I am guessing this is the swelling and I know my surgeon said you don't see the final result for a few months - so I guess I am asking those that have had this procedure, did your shape seem to change frequently, sometimes look weird, but then settle to the new shape and how long post op did it finally settle? How long does the swelling go up and down for?

Im 4.5 odd months PO and generally only get swelling if I stand all day or exercise like a crazy person or eat too much salt. And really its probably more of a bloat than swell. My shape is still undergoing some changes and I guess with exercise its more noticable now theres no rolls of skin.

I think I was having a freak out moment, lol. I have done heaps of online research and basically it all says it takes a while to fit into pre-op/smaller clothes again (which I was also worried about - only slowly getting back into my pre-ops), and they all say to allow around 6 months to see and appreciate the final result. So I feel a bit better! When I think of it, I started exercising last week at 6 weeks post op, which would explain why I seem a bit more swollen than I noticed before. Have to say I am totally loving being back into the exercise again!! And it's sooooo much better not having everything bouncing and jiggling around. I can't stop feeling it when I run, lol ... everything is rock hard and just stays still ....

LOl great post bindy. I too am in your position. I am still in Koh Samui & I've swollen like a bit@h over here. When I go shopping I'm still getting the whole "you buy big girls pants" I HATE THAT! I just payed $23000 to hear that!!! The tailors asking me to make stuff!!! I don't think so! Not yet anyway. SOOOOOOO LOOKING FORWARD TO SWELLING GOING DOWN!!!

On another note, before I actually take them. I went into a chemist here (You know you can buy ANYTHING here over the counter) & asked for some compression stockings. You know the ones they put on you in hospital or some wear on a plane. Well the only ones he had were thigh high ones. Well I'm not quite going to that extent, I only wanted knee highs. Anyway he asked if I'd tried diuretics (don't know if spell check has done me any favors with that one, sorry) to help drain the excess fluid I'm lugging around. Has anyone tried these? I will, short term, if they work or if no one else has. Hell I'll be the guinea pig if I have to :p:cool:

So ... the swelling got pretty bad a few days ago. I couldn't get even near doing any pants up and looked pregnant! I contacted PS and he got me to email a pic - he rang and said it looked ok but to come in anyway. So I did - he agreed I was very swollen - but he felt everything and doesn't think the repair has failed, and the scar is healing well ....he put it down to doing too much as this all came on since I started exercising 2 weeks ago at 6 weeks post op - totally my own fault, I should have eased back in but dived right into what I am used to because I 'felt ok' ... but obviously it was too much for my poor body. So he has advised me to just walk for exercise for the next month! And even then if I get swelling, to stop and just keep walking. Relieved, as Google had me wondering if the MR had come apart.

I am really weird I think, I honestly haven't had much swelling at all and am flat as a tack, my hip bones stick out further than tum and I have pretty much been the same right from day one.

I think it is due to not having muscle repair??? My muscles were apparently great when he went in so he didn't touch them, I was back at gym 6 weeks po doing weights and at 7 weeks doing full abdo work.

I have steered clear of posting a bit because my experience has been so different (except my seroma, lol, which went away after the 3rd draining) but I thought it might be worth mentioning my experience for someone who is torn between muscle repair or not.

So, incase anyone out there is in the same position as me, if muscle repair won't make a difference to the overall look and outcome of your tummy, I would recommend not doing it, just from my experience though.

I will try and get some new photos up!!!