Sign in to follow this  
NaeNa

Private Health Insurance

Heloooo,

Has anyone out there been covered by health insurance for their best surgery? I'm looking to get health insurance to cover some of the costs of plastic surgery but so overwhelmed with the amount of choice, and how the insurance even works.

Thank youuuu

NaeNae

Hiya NaeNae this is a thread I started a few weeks ago. It is a work in progress as I still don't know know the full costs covered. I am with HCF I have a family & have full coverage @ about $97 per fortnight. Which also has an extra component in it that I have just added which covers my kids for extra extras.

As your a newbee trying doing a search on some of the topics that your interested in babe to see what has been said.

Welcome to the forum & posting.

http://www.plasticsurgeryforum.com.au/forums/showthread.php?17297-Medicare-Health-Care-Rebate-amp-Surgery-costs&highlight=Medicare+private+health+insurance

Hey there,

Private health will not cover any cosmetic breast surgery. They do cover surgery that has a Medicare item number though.

However, you will need to be with them twelve months before they will cover anything they deem pre existing.

It is still worth having though if you are having breast surgery though, as there is always risk of complications and further surgery. Just make sure you take out the insurance before the surgery!

Heloooo,

Has anyone out there been covered by health insurance for their best surgery? I'm looking to get health insurance to cover some of the costs of plastic surgery but so overwhelmed with the amount of choice, and how the insurance even works.

Thank youuuu

NaeNae

Hey love, you can only get private cover for "reconstructive work" not cosmetic, and like WingingPom has said, you can only get it with a Medicare number...If its for a BA, you're surgeon will need to send off photos and documents to medicare for you to be approved, then you can get private health, but there is a 12 month wait.

I have tuberous breasts and have gotten approved with medicare, private health would be around $110 a month for me, I decided against it an am just using the medicare allowance towards my BA :)

NaeNa, regarding having the surgery through Medicare... Things may be different in Sydney, but in Melbourne I was told the wait would be 8 - 10 years. Maybe 5 if I found a country hospital who'd do it. Breast reduction is very low priority on the hospital waiting lists. You're better off getting private cover, saving up your money for the 12 mths waiting period, and going private.