Sign in to follow this  
PlayboyBunnyBoobies

lifting arms back to work after BA

So I need to tell my boss how much time I need off work after my BA, I've already mentioned it to him before and he doesn't mind how much time I take off which is great but my dilemma is my sanity haha. I work in a newsagency which doesn't sound strenuous but I have to lift my arms shoulder height over a counter CONSTANTLY! I have to reach over to lazy customers and pick up heavy things to put in bags and move heavy stuff and shelves around and every second Sunday lift really heavy paper bundles in and out of a trolley I'm also on my feet for up 9 hours.

I never realised how much I did at my job until I starting thinking of all the things I won't be able to do haha and I don't have the option for "light duties" like I can't tell a customer "nah sorry you're going to have to put your books/paper/whatever in a bag yourself because I can't lift it over the counter..." So my surgeon has recommended I take 4 weeks off and 6 weeks for the paper bundles. Now originally when I was with my boyfriend that sounded fantastic and we were planning a holiday together for me to look forward to. But now I can't think of anything worse I think I will literally go batsh!t crazy being stuck at home for 4 weeks with nothing to do and no one to see!

Girls who went under the muscle - on average when could you lift your arms up repeatedly without being in too much pain? Does anyone else work in a job similar to mine and how much time did you take off work? I don't want to push myself I want to go back to work comfortably and not be in pain but I also don't want to lose my mind being at home for 4 weeks I've never had that much time off to myself it's actually scaring me more than my BA. I probably sound like a freaking weirdo but my schedule is so hectic with work, uni, study and used to be time with my boyfriend that I don't like doing nothing!

I went back to work on Monday, exactly two weeks since surgery. I am struggling and doing my best to hide it. Carrying a notebook and drink bottle to a meeting is about all I can manage and I still stand on my tip toes to minimise the amount my arms are above my head when I need something off a shelf. I wish I had taken one more week, and my job is not as physical as yours. I think four weeks sounds like a good amount of time for you.

I know what you mean about going crazy at home, but you don't want to push yourself either.

I went back to work after ten days. Even though I felt great after 2 days, I don't think I would've been ultimately comfortable lifting items and raising arms around freely until the 10th to 14th day anyway :) Even driving manual was tricky on my day back, going into 5th gear made me feel the implant and muscle move in that arm lol

I have a desk job and went back after 2 weeks. I had trouble with silly things like using a hole punch and stapler. Lifting wasn't an option. I was too worried I would do damage and it wasn't comfortable either. The 2 weeks off nearly drove me crazy but doing things slowly and easily is a must if you want to minimse problems later.

Dammit looks like I'm definitely going to need the full 4 weeks then :( Thanks for your answers though that definitely sounds like I'm going to need the extra time off there's absolutely no way I will be able to do things as quickly as I usually do and I can't imagine going back and being super paranoid about what I can and can't do.

Dslr I'm a student nurse and I'm scared about going back to uni and doing physical stuff as well when I'm on prac so maybe see if you can take a little bit more time off if you feel like it's too much? As badly as I want to get back to work I think I'd rather feel 100% then worrying the entire time I'm going to ruin my boobs!

I know it seems like such a long time and I really don't want to take that much time off but I literally have to lift my arms up over a counter non stop like it's the major part of my job so I'm worried about how much pain I'll be in by the end of the day just doing that repeatedly :( do you think 3 weeks would be enough time?

It's a hard one, I'm an advocate of taking off more time then needed so as you're not rushed or pushed back into things. If you've got uni work to do now will be the time. If you can afford it take 3 - 4 off but I reckon you'll be climbing the walls by 2.5 weeks lol

I can't even describe the anxiety I'm feeling just thinking about how much time I need off! I don't know what the hell I'm going to do with myself with no one for company and nothing to do but it's like I'm not going to put off getting my boobs just because I don't want to be at home for that long but I actually think I may go freaking insane!!!!! I haven't had more than 5 days off to myself in like 4 years...

You'll have all that lovely time to study anatomy and physiology, you won't be bored at all lol

Haha for once I actually wish I did! but I won't have started the semester yet so I literally won't have anything to do because they don't put up our readings or course requirements until right before we start :( I need to find my self some good tv series to watch I think

Yeah I've got heaps of tv series and dvds I want to watch! I'm not too worried about being bed ridden it's more not being able to drive for a week and then having no where to go and no one to see for the remaining 3 weeks haha there's only so much I will be able to afford to do and then I'm going to be sooooo bored :(

I do nightfill & took 4 weeks off. I just returned to work this week. I'm just taking it easy still & not lifting anything too heavy. I have a 2 & a 5 year old so I'm use to being home all day with them but it was great not having to go to work at night. There are heaps of great series out atm, just stock up on them & you'll be fine :)

I'm just trying not to over do it. At work I'm doing the easy things like the baby, beauty & lolly isles & on the odd occasion lifting my 2 year old who is probably about 14kgs. I'm back to feeingl as I did before my surgery

I'm taking 21 days off as I deal with criminals in my job and can get in the odd scuffle occasionally. Another girl at my work took the same amount of time off and she was fine! I think 4 weeks will be heaps of time. Don't work yourself up if your employer knows about it then shouldn't have a problem with you returning to lighter duties to begin with. Good luck.

I am however going Perth - Sydney - NZ - Bali and then back to Perth in that time so will have lots to do. Push one of your friends to do a trip with you, somewhere to relax and dink cocktails by the beach or something haha :)