Sign in to follow this  
Jjgirl

Tests prior to surgery

Hi ladies,

im wondering if you could tell me what tests you had done prior to surgery. I'm asking as I got the referrals from the doctor and have misplaced them. Now a time has come up for surgery that actually suits me with work and I'm unable to book because I haven't had my tests done!! Freakin. Out a bit, there's also no times for another consult... I've rung te surgery and the receptionist didn't know the answer, but she said she will try and find out when the doc gets out of surgery.

I really want to book as I may not have this opportunity again for a while :(

Hi Jjgirl, I remember having to have a mammogram done but I'm over 40. No doubt there was a few blood tests too. I don't really remember though, my surgery was in September & I know I had to have the tests done way before my op. Good luck.

It's very rare to test before surgery as the latest technique in any surgery is to treat everyone as though they are infectious, I mean what are they going to do if you do have HIV? Double glove? It's each preference of course but I actually don't see the point :/

I'm not sure so much that they do it for the infection side if it, more to know that you are healthy at the time of surgery. Like don't have any underlying illness that could complicate surgery or healing. Imagine that they didn't find out that your blood didn't clot until they cut you open or that you were in early stages of cancer that you didn't know about yet. I'm sure it just precaution. They may also want to know your blood type in case in the dreaded event you may need a blood transfusion, although I'm sure there is some generic type blood out there these days that they could also use. Just guessing of course. I'm no Dr or surgeon.

Maybe the doctors don't want to operate on someone with those types of diseases?? Not sure if they can do that or not but I assumed it was normal. When I went to get mine taken the lady knew that it was for surgery without me telling her so their must be a few who do it.

I had an ECG done but no bloods cause im young and healthy so it wasn't really necessary had blood done not too long ago when I had a baby

Oh yeah I had the ECG & the mammogram. I'm sure there was bloods in there somewhere as well.

Don, are you mostly wanting to know if you had HIV if they would still operate on you? I don't want to sound discriminatory here & I do know that you can live a full (well mostly full) life with HIV. My question would be why you would want to spend sooo much money on such a cosmetic operation if you had such a disease. I'm sure the meds to keep things under control aren't cheap. But then again if you have the money can't you buy anything? (except a full bill of health of course)

My surgeon had mentioned that some surgeons had performed a BA then 3 or so months down the track the patient had developed breast cancer then blamed the implant. I'm unsure how, when the surgeon performed the BA he did not see what was happening in the breast tissue & went ahead with the op.

Or maybe their all just in cohoots with each other to make money :p I know it cost me for the ECG & mammogram.

Either which way, I know I'm happy :D. Still doesn't help quench your thirst for knowledge Don, sorry.

Life's too short, maybe people with a disease like HIV want to live life to the full and not regret anything. Hard to give an answer if we haven't walked in their path in life.

HIV is pretty well controlled these days most live a long full life before it ever progresses to the deadly AIDs. The meds these days are keeping them alive longer and keeping the disease under control. I don't see why they couldn't have surgery if they wanted, but I'm no surgeon :D

I haven't yet been told of any blood tests I need prior, I'm hoping don't have to arrange that cos I live in the country and only coming up to city the day before my surgery. Best I give my surgeon a call and check!