I'm 4 weeks and 3 days post op and everything has been going well (apart from some problems with my belly button but it's now healing well too). This afternoon I started getting a sharp stabbing pain just below and to the left of my belly button.

First off I did the obvious thing and panicked thinking I'd ripped a muscle or pulled a stitch out. Then I did the next obvious thing and did a google search. This seems to be a not uncommon thing. I've been wearing my binder 24/7 and haven't done any obvious thing today that I can think would cause damage and there's no swelling, bruising or lump so based on my research online I'm assuming for now that it's just another part of the healing process. Getting up or down from sitting to standing or vice versa hurts like *insert appropriate swear word*.

Just took my first painkillers since my surgery. :(

You've managed to get this far without painkillers?? WOW!! :eek:

Yes, that sudden stabbing pain is apparently 'part of the healing process'. It's happened more than a few times for me, and my first thought is always "what the hell did I just do that is different from what I have been doing all along?" I am 5 and a half weeks post op, and my last 'stabbing' was last night, although I hadn't had any for about a week. I'm still taking low level pain relief (had breast reduction at the same time) as it still feels like I've been kicked in the ribs just under my boobs!! At the moment my boobs are distracting me from my tummy - they seem to take turns :D

Hang in there, it will keep getting easier! Oh, and I've just sent a FR - you are about a week behind me in the recovery process, so we can compare notes :)

Hi,I was on a tablet that the packet said was for pain and inflammation for about the first 2 weeks. I also had packets of painkillers of varying dosages which I haven't used. Obviously I've had some pain but nothing bad enough to make me take anything for it.I was still getting the stabbing pains overnight when I woke up to change positions but it seems a lot better today. I'm taking it really easy and being very careful how I move.How are you sleeping now? I can't wait to not have to wake up every 2 or 3 hours to turn over.

I'm starting to sleep a bit better and for a bit longer. I bought a Tempur mattress about 5 years ago, which I just love!!, It cuts down on the usual tossing and turning from side to side because it's made of memory foam and doesn't create any upward pressure. This stops your blood flow from being cut off after lying in one position for a while, which is when your body says 'time to turn over and get the blood flowing again' :) My problem was more having to sleep on my back because I'm not used to it, but now I can sleep on my side again, sleeping is easier. Only time I may wake up is to go to the toilet.

I'm still taking it very easy - I don't have the pressure of having to go back to work, so figure I might as well take my time and make sure I do it properly :)

As time goes by your nerves start healing and waking up and your 'numb tummy' starts waking up and that means pain.

If it continues or hurts too badly then I would suggest getting it checked out, but otherwise it's all part of the healing process.

You won't be at 100% for months and months yet, so expect pain from time to time.

• 5 years later...
  • 10 months later...