april

Hypersensitive nipples ... ouch!

Hi all, I am 3 1/2 wks post op and have in the last couple of days started to experience incredibly sore & sensitive nipples and areola.  I'm pretty sure, from what I've googled the little bump/lump on my areola are called Montgomery glands .. the things you learn!  This one particular gland is so painful and has got larger.  I am still wearing the post operative bra after surgery as I find this very comfortable and easy to put on. I just discovered today placing bra pads taken from my sport bra is giving me some relief as the nipple is not touching the bra directly.  Has anyone experienced this, if so how long did it last and did you have a treatment plan to ease the pain?  Thank you.

I am sensitive all over my breasts at the moment including very sensitive nipples, my left one has tape on it like my incisions as it was corrected during surgery and it feels good with that ontop so I'm considering taping my other nipple! Also taking nurofen…and medicinal glass of wine in the evenings!

Usplusthree thank you for your reply.  I'm thinking maybe I should get some tape and definitely a medicinal glass of wine in the evenings sounds like an excellent treatment plan :lol:  My right breast is harder than the left and still quite tight and swollen; there were issues with the right one. The left one has settled, the shape is perfect .. the right one isn't; hopefully time will settle it, early days still.  I'm finding the incision tape is driving me nuts, I'm literally scratching like a dog -_- 

thanks Nikstar for your reply ... showers arrgghh!  every day I wake I hope it gets a little less sensitive but not yet it seems to be getting worse maybe I'm focussing on it too much :confused:  I cant wait .. so impatient but worth it.

lucky you!  My understanding but I need to confirm he said 6wks so I've still got another 3 weeks :( I'm scratching all around the tape as well.  I went to the chemist to ask for a different tape that doesn't cause irritation and got a product called Fixomill ... its just as bad. 

mmm .. not sure what's worse ... no feeling or pain :mellow: when your feelings do return I hope they are not like mine.  I guess there is alot going on in our bodies right now its pretty amazing really and hopefully in time we will look back at this stage and think thank god its over :)  good luck with your recovery.

I experienced this with my first ba 14 yrs ago. My PS back then told me it was from the implants pushing the nipples out into a position they have never been in before making them super sensitive to anything that touched them.

I remember the car seat belt rubbing on them when I drive would be unbearable, showering with the water hitting them excruciating and bending over applied way too much internal pressure on my nipples. It wasn't a happy time, however it didn't last too long and all nipple sensations returned back to normal.

Unfortunately I don't recall how long it took but I'd say it was more like months not weeks or years. Definitely under a year.

hope this helps hun xoxo

thank you diishere that totally makes sense what your ps explained.  Funny thing is I had implants 17yrs ago on top of the muscle and I never experienced this maybe pain .. this time I had them placed under the muscle.  Not only are the nipples super sensitive but there is quite a lot of pain in one of them mainly around the areola and the surrounding area particularly underneath where he had to place mesh inside ... can't remember why!  crossing my fingers it will go quickly <_<

I am 9 days in from having my BA and finding my nipples are still erect but now getting quite sensitive. They have also been getting dry. It is very similar to how they were when I breastfed each child. I am thinking of using pawpaw ointment on them, like I used to after every breastfeed session. I even thought of the breastfeeding pads too, April. I saw Dr. Harwood today for my post op check and he said they can remain very sensitive and erect for up to 6 weeks. And then apparently they will settle.

pink butterfly ... guess what I just bought at the grocery store???  nursing pads .. lol!  Somebody suggested them on another site.  They do feel more protected which is good. So I'm feeling now like I'm back to the old breastfeeding days.  Its actually a very similar feeling to feeding dont you think?   My skin and nipples are so dry and I've just been using a very mild moisturiser on them but pawpaw is a great idea I'll try that.  I can't believe it will be 4wks tomorrow; its absolutely flown by but they seem to be getting more sensitive.  I also read it could be nerve regeneration so I guess that's a good thing.  Thanks for your post & ideas and good luck with your recovery :)

Lol April! Isn't it funny how we go back to the old days of breastfeeding rituals/routines! Yes it does feel very much like my breasts are constantly heavy with milk! I cannot wait until they are fully healed and all is normal again! That is exciting you are at the 4 week mark tomorrow! All the best for your recovery too. :o

thats a great sign :) give the left one time. our bodies are so amazing when its ready things happen. so much more happening 'behind' the scenes!  my left feels completely normal not as sensitive yesterday but the right is going to be an issue.  there was definitely an issue with removing the old implant and inserting the new one and trying to achieve the result I was after. 

Hi all, I am 3 1/2 wks post op and have in the last couple of days started to experience incredibly sore & sensitive nipples and areola.  I'm pretty sure, from what I've googled the little bump/lump on my areola are called Montgomery glands .. the things you learn!  This one particular gland is so painful and has got larger.  I am still wearing the post operative bra after surgery as I find this very comfortable and easy to put on. I just discovered today placing bra pads taken from my sport bra is giving me some relief as the nipple is not touching the bra directly.  Has anyone experienced this, if so how long did it last and did you have a treatment plan to ease the pain?  Thank you.

I know this is a old thread but has anyone had their Montgomery glands removed? if so how? I have quite a few post breastfeeding three kids and I'd like them gone.