Sign in to follow this  
TaraThailand

Stopping birth control pills, PPI’s and supplements before Blepharoplasty

Dear all

I am considering upper eyelid surgery, blepharoplasty in YANHEE hospital in Bangkok Thailand. I have requested Dr. Greechart who has been highly recommended in various discussion forums. He is quite busy though, so I am still waiting for information whether he accepts me as a patient and what is his timetable.

I know that you need to stop taking all vitamins and supplements that are blood thinners (e.g. fish oil, aspirin) at least 2 weeks before surgery, which I have done. The hospital representative instucted categorically to stop taking everything but since I do not know how many weeks possibly I have to wait to see the Dr. I am hesitant about quitting the following:

I exercise 2 hours a day and get leg cramps so I take 150-300 mg of magnesium daily. I take birth control pills to regulate menstruation cycle because I have had an ovarian cyst some years ago. Also, I suffer from acid refluxes every now and then and should it happen during this waiting period I know from previous experience that it will not go away with just changing diet but I need to take a PPI, proton pump inhibitor (usually 20 mg for 3 days does the trick).

How have you been instructed regarding vitamins, birth control pills and such before your procedures? I’d appreciate your input.

Thank you so much for taking the time to answer, this puts my mind more at ease. I’m from Finland and hospitals there seem not to have such strict pre-op guidelines, at least for procedures done under local anesthesia. Maybe here in Thailand they want to play it safe to deny liability or something.. I’m most concerned about my menstruation cycle, don’t want to mess it for months so I will keep taking the pill. The supplements I can live without for a few weeks  - I hope! haven’t been off them for years : )

I haven’t still heard from Yanhee Hospital but can’t really blame them, as I am kind of a walk-in-customer. I told them I only have October month to do the operation to allow ample healing time as I am heading back to my home country for Christmas. Also, I only want Dr. Greechart to do the Blepharoplasty, otherwise I will postpone it indefinitely.