NovBoobs2014

Hay fever/flu

BA in 4 weeks, and I have some serious hay fever and what seems like the flu, congested nose, ears cracking ect And I cannot shake it!!!! What should I do? Antibiotics? Is it to close to my BA to be taking any medication?

(4 weeks may seem like a long time, but knowing me I'd still have it in 4 weeks if I don't do anything about it)

And does hay fever have any effect?

Thanks in advance girls x

I had hay fever the two weeks leading up to mine, sucks! But I was allowed to take my meds right up to and including surgery day. I would ask your aneathietist what you can take and get a script so it doesn't turn into a sinus infection (that's what happens to me if I don't get on top of mine anyway) good luck babe!! Xx

I had hay fever the two weeks leading up to mine, sucks! But I was allowed to take my meds right up to and including surgery day. I would ask your aneathietist what you can take and get a script so it doesn't turn into a sinus infection (that's what happens to me if I don't get on top of mine anyway) good luck babe!! Xx

I agree with Southerngirl,

Some things are okay to take prior to surgery just check with your PS and/or anesthetist, it's usually things that thin the blood which are to be avoided.  

I had the exact same problems as you for about 2 months prior to my ba, it was one cold and one flu after the other followed by sinus infections, coughs and ear infections and hayfever.  

My ba actually got cancelled because my mild cold (or allergy if you ask my gp) developed into a sinus infection and I presented on the day of my ba with a fever of 38 degrees.

I was on one course of antibiotics to another and my PS was fine with that, however I found out through all of what was happening with me that the best way to help fight off a cold/flu/alergy/sinus infection is to use saline nasal sprays or nasal irrigation with a neti pot/syringe filled with cooled boiled tap water (or distilled water) + salt + bicarb of soda every 3 hours or so for several days until all the muck inside your nose clears up.  This is the only thing that finally cleared up my issues for good, I had severe congestion and that really thick green mucus clogging up my nose, and after starting the nasal irrigation it cleared up within a record breaking 3 days.

You can also try antihistamines and decongestants just check with your PS first, my PS was fine with me taking them right up to the night prior to my ba.

I also started taking vitamin supplements (which I never believed in before) and I think they may have actually helped, however a lot of them I had to stop taking 2 weeks prior to my ba and not allowed to resume taking them for another 2 weeks post ba.

Most importantly try to chill out, get plenty of sleep at night and eat a  well balanced healthy diet.  Stress, improper diet and lack of sleep can run your immunity down to the gutter.   

I hope you get well soon and that this may be of some help :)

I got sick with sore throat 5 days before surgery, was given a really strong 5 day course of antibiotics and throat gargle, was allowed to take both until 12 hours before surgery, best to get illness sorted before it gets bad.

Thanks for the help everyone! Such great suggestions,

I defiantly think it is some sort of sinus infection :-( anyways, I'll go to the doctors today and hopefully get some

serious drugs and take them for a couple of weeks and surely I should be ok and still have a couple of weeks to be drug free prior to surgery! Xxx

What do you take for hay fever??? :-)

Thanks for the help everyone! Such great suggestions,

I defiantly think it is some sort of sinus infection :-( anyways, I'll go to the doctors today and hopefully get some

serious drugs and take them for a couple of weeks and surely I should be ok and still have a couple of weeks to be drug free prior to surgery! Xxx

good idea, get onto it pronto, sometimes with sinus infections it can drag on until it clears up and may need repeat antibiotics too.

Good luck, hope it clears up soon hun :)

Hey NovBoobs2014 - sorry can't quote! 

Now i take flixonase, a nasal spray (once a day) and some kind of demizin tablet, it makes me drowsy but totally helps. both pharmacy ones that you can get without a script. i was constantly on antibiotics for infections and now i found that i only need to get a script to clear my sinus infections if i let the allergy get too far. if i nip it in the bud the sinus infection doesn't even eventuate!

My PS cleared me to take Claratyne for hay fever up to and including surgery day so if you ask I am sure it will be ok. It works really well for me, and I get terrible hayfever year round. The idea of having a sneezing fit (about 15 sneezes) post surgery was terrifying so pretty hally to avoid that. Goodluck, hope it clears up quickly for you :)

Zyrtec works a dream for me with hayfever once I get it but the only thing I've found that actually prevents it is Avamys nasal spray. If anyone is a hayfever sufferer and hasn't tried that yet i'd highly recommend it. You need a prescription though.