imperfectly_lou

Pulling sensation.... Mondors chord?

5.5 weeks post op

I've had a niggling pulling sensation under my right crease for about 10 days which I notice mainly when I try to tilt to the other side at night. I'm still sleeping on my back but try to twist a bit to relieve my poor back.

initially I put the pain down to it being pain from my rib as rib cartilage was removed for my rhinoplasty but this feels different. It literally feels like the incision is being pulled from inside and it's quite a sharp pain which comes out of nowhere. I've taken the dressing off, hubby has examined very closely and I cannot see a thing! I'm wondering if it's a Mondors chord that can't be seen or is very small. Has anyone had this?

Edited by imperfectly_lou

Yes I had it under my left boob. If you lift your arm right up in front of the mirror you'll be able to see it, if it is actually a Mondor's Chord. Mine started at 4 weeks and just went away and I'm a little over 3 months post op. 

Ahhhh yep... That's it. Hubby looked everywhere and couldn't find it but when I read your message I went and lifted my arms and there we go. I started feeling that pulling about 10 days ago so that would have been right on 4 weeks for me too.... It's actually quite painful at times. I know it's totally harmless but I'll send a photo to my surgeon today to keep him in the loop. Thanks for the advice 

image.jpg

Holy crap you have 4-5 I only had one but it was about 5cm long and yes they can be quite painful. I just had to remember when I was reaching for something to use my other arm 😀

1. Mondor cords or Mondor'sdisease is a subject that I wrote a dissertation about when I was in my plastic surgery residency at Stanford. Technically, Mondor'sdisease is a clotted vein or veins that come up the chest wall just below the breast.Apr 15, 2012

Definitely a mondors cord. http://plasticsurgeryforum.com.au/blog/mondors-cord/

Although they are common post op, you can also cause them by wearing a bra band too tight. It should resolve soon enough.  I had my mondors cord at about 1 year post op and i only discovered it by the same pulling feeling you described

I sent the photo to my PS today and his Practice Manager forwarded it into one of his colleagues as he is currently away. The other surgeon says it is just internal stitches pulling but I don't know? I've never heard of them being visible like that. I had dissolvable sutures so they should all be gone by now. 

It might be, yours does look like puckering rather then inflamed cords. You do have many of them rather then one or two.  Did they say what you are meant to do. Its probably something that is likely to resolve on its own.

It might be, yours does look like puckering rather then inflamed cords. You do have many of them rather then one or two.  Did they say what you are meant to do. Its probably something that is likely to resolve on its own.

just pain relief and massage them a bit if I could. It feels much better tonight. I was very sore yesterday