Nae

Post Op Exersize

Hey lovelies,

Just wanted to know how everyone eased back into there exersize regime?

My post op says

- vigorous walking 2 weeks

- bike 4 weeks

- upper body 6 weeks

- no contact sport for 3 months

I am now 13 days post op and was thinking a light session on my stationary bike wouldn't hurt since I can take it easy and it is no more than walking, what do you think?

Also, when did you get back into yoga and Pilates?

What did you all do?

Xx

I'd only do the bike if you can do it without putting hands on handlebars. You might be surprised how much pressure holding handlebars puts on your chest. I struggled starting cycling again on an upright bike but I started "hands free" on a reclined bike fairly soon post op. 2-3 weeks from memory. 

@laa not sure if anyone else has ideas for you but I couldn't do any arms for six weeks. I had the same instructions as Nae and even if I wanted to I couldn't manage any upper body at all for six weeks. All arm exercises put pressure on my chest so I stuck to legs. I then started with light dumbbell strict press and built back up to normal routine from there. 

Im 8 days post op... Starting to feel good again.. I just wondered if i could go leg weights only on the sit dwn squat machine or legpress maybe next week?  X

I went back to PT yesterday at day 14 PO and we did glutes and hip raises.. Do whatever you feel comfortable with and stop if anything hurts. My post op instructions after 2 weeks are light lower body weights, power walking, gentle cycling.. I also did some stairs this morning.. Hardest thing is keeping Bpm under 100 even when walking.

I'm 9 weeks, did my first spin class today. Half of the class felt the great, the other half my chest hurt! I'm glad my PS steered me away from spin (I wanted to go back week 5 and he told me not till 9/10) as you use your upper body the whole time! I'll go again in a couple of days as I know my body is just adjusting but give yourselves time. You need it! I found walking to be awesome for the first 6 weeks. Go for a good 1-2 hour walk, it's good for your head too. My son had trouble keeping up to me on his scooter! 

I went back to the gym 2 weeks PO and had pretty much identical instructions from my PS.

I've been doing lower body resistance training, step machine, Walking on treadmill at full incline, the bike and lower abs. I've almost built my weights back up to pre op levels. I'm now 4 weeks PO and haven't had any issues. I just mix up my resistance training and cardio with intervals so my height rate isn't too high for too long. 

I found some good blogs online by PT's who has BA's and suggesting exercises to ease back into.

Golden rule-  if it causes pain - stop! I also walk to/from work which is about 10km. I feel great. Looking forward to reintroducing upper body in a few weeks. 

Edited by Bella2
typo