I'm 25, 5'7", 55ish kg. single. DD-E down pointing/saggy boobs. It has been suggested on RealSelf that I may also be mildly tuberous.

So I want to go for a BL (no implants) but I'm concerned about costs. I won't be covered with Medicare as I don't have and don't want children.

I only earn 40K, which when you take out inner Melb suburb rent prices/tax/living expenses etc, it doesn't leave a whole lot of savings. I'd rather not take out a loan beyond my means and wish to remain debt free.

So I guess I'm asking how others have financed their surgery? Could anyone recommend a private hospital cover (I don't currently have any insurance) that would cover the stay/anesthetic and whatnot if not the actual surgery?

Hi Anni!
I'm with medibank private (top hospital and top extras) and they don't cover anything for cosmetic surgery (they only cover things for reconstructive surgery). So if you don't qualify for medicare I don't think there are any private health insurers in Australia that will cover you for a cosmetic surgery. Are you sure you don't qualify for medicare? Ask your surgeon (I've heard of people being covered for tuberous and saggy breasts).

As for financing, my boyfriend is going to be paying for mine. If it weren't for him, I would probably save for a year, then take a loan out for the rest if I'm still too short of the cash. I find the best way to save is by just not going shopping, not even window shopping (you don't want any temptation!). Also small things like when you eat out, just order an entrée (mains are usually too big anyway, but if you're still hungry after you can eat more at home) and instead of buying a drink with your meal, have water instead (which will benefit your health too :)  ) 

Have you had a consultation yet?

All I did was work, work and work! Work everywhere and anywhere you can. Overtime, long hours, help cover shifts. I was wanting to kill myself 90% of the time but now I have boobies and all the hard work made me a better employee :) I was like a hermit crab for a while but look how good that worked out for me! 

Don't rely on insurance because you'll be rebated barely nothing and would have spent all that insurance money on nothing (especially when you don't have kids!) 

I've had one consult at the beginning of the year and the surgeon told me 'it'll be very expensive and medicare won't cover anything unless you have children, and the benefits won't last' but there were many things I didn't agree with her about so I'm clinging onto some small hope. (She said I'd receive a quote in the mail, which I never did and when I called the office said I'd need to book another $170 consultation so I gave up for the mean time)

I followed a blog on tumblr (boobs2point0) that managed to get her entire procedure free on medicare because the surgeon itemised it as a reduction even though it was a lift with only a minor reduction on one side..which is what I'm looking at myself, so I'm clinging to that!

I was also under the impression that some health insurers would cover the hospital stay/surgical room/ etc but not the surgery itself?

I'm fairly frugal already. I don't eat much, I make my own clothes or op shop when I need anything that I don't already have. I rarely eat out. I work full time and don't have the time or energy to work a second job without risking my mental health.

Thank you for the suggestions so far. I don't mean to sound so 'woe is me,' I'm just antsy to get this dealt with already.

I saved some, not realising how expensive my surgery would be (BL and TT). I took out a personal bank loan to cover the remainder and will pay it off next year. I am getting $1200 back from Medicare (so not much, when you factor in how much this operation is costing me) but better than nothing. 

We have refinanced. ANZ allowed us to consolidate our car loan and credit cards and add in extra for my surgery. Our repayments are $10 more per week than what they were previous, we'll just be paying it for an extra 2 years if I don't put more into it.

I'm currently studying so we are surviving on 1 income with 3 kids but I plan on returning to work April/May next year so with 2 incomes, we should be able to get it out of the way pretty quickly. I made sure the loan was variable interest so that we could do this without real penalty.

Good luck with your finance ☺