Any last minute advice? Surgery next week!

BA&Rhino

I have my septoplasty/rhinoplasty and BA coming up next week. 

There's lots of info out there about the BA, but I'm wondering whether I've thought of everything for the rhinoplasty. 

I have cotton tips and nasal spray (Otrivin) for gentle cleaning. Makeup wipes for removing oil from my face. Panadol and laxatives. 

Is there any essentials I need to think of or advice anyone can think of? 

Good idea on the wipes. My cast was on for 2 weeks and I couldn't shower for a week after my BA, then another week before I could get my face wet so my skin was disgusting..... I could only wipe around the tape across my cheeks. You just do what you can! :) Make sure you get your boomerang pillow fort ready. I couldn't lie on my side for 6 weeks to avoid getting my nose near the pillow and resting my boobs too.

best of luck! 

Good idea on the wipes. My cast was on for 2 weeks and I couldn't shower for a week after my BA, then another week before I could get my face wet so my skin was disgusting..... I could only wipe around the tape across my cheeks. You just do what you can! :) Make sure you get your boomerang pillow fort ready. I couldn't lie on my side for 6 weeks to avoid getting my nose near the pillow and resting my boobs too.

best of luck! 

OMG 2 weeks! That must have felt like an eternity! Luckily I will only have mine on for 1 week. 

Haha yep I do have my boomerang pillow fort ready to go. My partner is going to think it's hilarious haha. I've actually forced myself into the habit of sleeping on my back for the last few months. 

Thank you!!! 

What cosmetic and reconstructive changes were made Lou? 

To my nose? Basically, I had a septal perforation repaired in 2010 as well as a septoplasty and turbinoplasty and was a result, I developed a bit of a hump midway down my nose, my tip was a bit droopy and lacked support as well. While I didn't have a huge "beak" I certainly didn't like my nose. So my surgeon harvested cartilage from my rib to give the whole nose and tip proper structure after fracturing it to rebuild it. He also shaved the hump down and lifted the tip slightly. My nose now looks perfect from the size but ever so slightly off centre from the front which only really I can notice. This is because he was unable to straighten the septum because the previous surgery makes it very fragile and I ran the risk of the whole thing collapsing. 

He took the rib cartilage whilst doing the BA so I don't have an additional incision site.

the risk of infection due to two procedures at once is slightly increased so I made sure we were doing the BA first and fully closing that surgical site before moving on to the nose. Whole thing was about 4.5 hrs in theatre and an overnight stay. 

• 4 weeks later...