Sign in to follow this  
happy coconut

Exercise or How long after op until dog walking?

Hey ladies,

So I am two weeks post op and definitely know that I can't walk/run my dogs at this moment, but I am wondering if any of you have dogs and when you could start taking them out?

I have two dogs, a staffy 20kgs and staffy cross(ridgeback/Alsatian something big lol) 35kgs who love to run and pull so they are not the little ones!

Or if you don't have dogs when did you start exercising again? I have been walking heaps because of my holiday but would like to know when I can start other things again

Thanks for your help!

Happy coconut :)

I would hold off walking the dogs as long as you can, I know my Dobi loves to pull on the leash and I just wouldn't risk it, is there someone how could walk with you and take them?

With regards to other exercise, really take your time, I was like a bull at the gate trying my hardest to get back into everything and caused some complications, I would stick to walking and lower body (body weight) exercises until about 4 weeks, that way you will be using big muscle groups so you shouldn't gain to much weight and slowly add some stretches as your back will start to get tight around now

I started walking my dog again on day 3..he does pull a little, but only 10kgs, so it wasn't too bad. I went to the gym on day 5, and have just been doing cycling and lower body exercises.

Like Mary said, you should wait a month til you do aerobics classes, jogging, weight lifting, etc.

I started walking my dog again on day 3..he does pull a little, but only 10kgs, so it wasn't too bad. I went to the gym on day 5, and have just been doing cycling and lower body exercises.

Like Mary said, you should wait a month til you do aerobics classes, jogging, weight lifting, etc.

My dogs are 45kg & 58kg (Ridgebacks) I wont be walking them for a good couple of months I think. As it is now my arms and chest muscles get sore from controlling them let alone after surgery.

I am lucky that I do have the option of my boyfriend walking with me and taking the dogs though. Kind of difficult because you can't really throw a ball for them to help wear them out either :(

Yeah I'd hold off, I used to have a Ridgeback (he died in August) and he was very energetic and a massive puller!

We have a rotty at now who's just a pup which means he's very active... poor thing has to wait awhile before I head out to the puppy park with him again...

Hold off until you're in the all clear between the 6-8 week mark xx

I have been out and about walking and at the gym, just walking on an incline on the tready and doing some lower body exercises....lunges/squats etc....as far as walking the dog, havn't tried that one yet, he's generally pretty good on the lead but he is 25kg and likes to pull a little so I havn't wanted to risk anything yet. I think I'll wait until my 3 week PO appointment and double check with my PS then about it, but for now poor puppy just comes out when the other half is home to come with me :)

Thanks for this thread ladies. I was just at the park with my 35kg staffy cross who is like my baby and I just realised I wont be able to walk him or even go to the park for aaaagggess post BA. Luckily my boyfriend is on a get fit mission so by the time my BA comes around hopefully he'll be joining me more often and can take Chester.

I have a male St Bernard (98kilos) My BA is in march. It will be a very long time until I can walk him after my BA.

Every time I walk him I feel so sore, he does tend to pull. Saints can cart up to 2tonnes so I will definitely be leaving dog walking to my partner.

My friend used to put her poodle on the treadmill after her BA, he loved it and got the excercise he needed.

About 7 days after I was told I could start lower body exercise.

And around the 6 week mark, I could start upper body.

I went to lift my 5kg cat and it felt like I nearly ripped my implants out!

Im very conscious of putting any strain or pressure on my implants/arms as I read that it can severely change the position of the implant or cause other problems.

Should check with your surgeon on this one to be safe :)

Olive92,

His name is Romeo. He is 2 years old. Saints are gentle giants. I too, am crazy about Animals. Lol.

It will be sad having to leave him in the yard all the time after my BA.

I have a 14 month old Son, he still can't walk so not too sure how i'd pick him up! Kind of scary stuff.