Sign in to follow this  
OneDay

The Down Side to BA Recovery - Honest Opinion here...

Hi everyone,

For those who don't know me Im One Day and Im 8months post op. I've helped so many of you through the up's and downs of Breast Augmentation Surgery and many of you have done the same for me. As some of you know Im open about my thoughts and I'll answer as best I can with leaving anything out.

So Im typing this today to talk about the emotional side of your BA recovery.

We had a lovely lady on here who shared the BA experience with myself and many of us ladies at the start of the year, she was a mother of 4, wanted a BA as long as she could remember and couldn't wait to get it done. Yes she like us all the nerves showed and we all talked eachother past it and prayed like hell they would be everything we expected them to be. Only a day or two after her Op she wanted them out!!! She hated the fact that she had risked everything like her happy marriage, amazing family anf friends, happy and healthy kids on something so Vain. The thought of putting something forign in her body for no reason other than what she felt was selfish broke her heart. Last contact I had with her was that she was doing councelling and was getting them removed, she no longer visits our site.

This is touched my heart more this week as I have and still am helping my Best Friend who had her BA done on Thursday go thru hell. Her surgery went very well, her Breast look amazing with limited swelling and bruising but emotionally she isn't coping. The burning sensation (which is normal) is freaking her out so much that she is a mess. Between myself and her sister we are mending her emotional which takes hours only to have all our positive thoughts and vibes thrown out the door as she breaks down again. Her pain is limited its just the shakes and the burning sensation which come and go. Today things got worse, we felt out of control so we called our PS, she has now been sedated!!! We need to shut her mind off for a little while until she can focus again on the desired outcome. At the moment she is willing to have them taken out, loss of money and the rest....

Im begging you all to read as much as possible, read all of our blogs not just the technical stuff. I read everything, I knew about so much and even remembered little stories from each post on here.

This is major surgery, yes some people breeze through it, others don't, dont be scard by what Im saying, just be aware!!!

This needs to be spoken about, its like babies blues/ Boobie Blues but can get so much worse if you don't talk about it.

Be kind to yourself, your desired outcome is important but you must work for it after recovery. Your not going to just wake up with a Beautiful RACK.... your will be sore, your will be tired, you will be teary, than you'll be fine, than you'll loose your **** and cry about eveything... you may think "geez what have I done" this is all normal!!

The brochure doesn't show you laying in bed feeling crappy, just the stunning bikini body - well that takes work... lots of rest, caring for your incisions, positive thoughts, supportive family and friends and an understanding of what your in for!! Its worth every bit or pain and discomfort!! Just be kind to yourself along the way xoxoxo

Thanks for a great post One Day, I agree with you that it is not always smooth sailing and everyone needs to read the good and the bad about the surgery.

I breezed through the first 10 days, I dont know if i was running on adrenalin or just felt ok but then I crashed. I found it hard to tolerate the sensitivity on the skin, the niggly pains kicked in and having it 24/7 drove me insane.

I felt so down and teary for a couple of weeks and was regretting having them done but gradually as the sensitivity and niggly pains disappeared I started to feel better and focused on what awesome boobs I now I have.

It has taken time to reover, its not instant and I still have the odd day when I think maybe I shouldn't have had it done but most of the time I am happy with the outcome.

definitely agree with the other girls - great post and thank you for sharing! I read almost everything on here too and i think reading everyone's stories and realizing that recovery is a difficult process made it alll real for me, and also that much easier to deal with when it was me going through it as a had in idea of what to expect - emotionally as well as mentally.

i really hope your friend gets better soon

x

Wow, I really wish I read this before my op, don't get me wrong I'm 9 days post op and I love my boobs and would do it all again but those first 3 days were emotionally so hard, no one tells you this side, yep very much like baby blues.. Great words thanks for that one day, it definitely needs to be put out there xxxxx

Well said One Day, and I'm glad that you can be there for your friend. I actually read the post of the first lady you were talking about when I was going through some pre op doubts and I have always wondered how she is now. I hope that your friend feels better soon x

Great post! Have heard some not so good stories and know of people that have had bad experiences with Breast Augmentation. Its not something you can decide one day and wake up and say "Oh hey, I want breast implants!". Its something you have to get emotionally and financially ready for over a period of time. I really hope your friend is going to be okay xx

Hi Oneday!! Thanks for your sharing. It's a good reminder to me I believe as well as to other girls too. I am an absolutely wuss and freak out easily too so your thread is definitely helpful to me.

I truly wish your friend is getting better now....I believe she will, I hope she will. Please send my wishes to her....hope she get well soon!!

Thanks everyone for your kind words.... It has been an extremely rough few days but I just got a text from her saying to was feeling a little better and ask me for reasurance that each day will improve. I said yes but also reminded her that those pains and niggles will fade but other may come which is also very morning as your boobs begin to wake up!! Im so glad I posted this... I will be making her read it once she is strong enough just to prove to her that she is not alone!!

This is such an important thread Thanks so much for taking the time to write it

I have not yet had my BA but have a consult booked for tomorrow night and will be done in Jan you have really brought the light to me that I need to think of everything (the foreign object in your body) Im glad now I can mentally prepare myself better

Thanks and I really hope your friend will be ok xxx

Update on my friend - She is finally back at home with her hubby and kids. I just spoke to him and he said that me and her sister did the hard yards as she is now settled and feeling much beter... well at least that's what she is telling her husband!!

Fingers crossed each day keeps improving for her... will be sure to keep you posted.

Awesome post OneDay & I really hope your friend can get through this. I haven't had a BA but I do believe that having any plastic surgery can put us through an emotional roller coaster. When we prepare ourselves before the surgery we focus so much on the positive stories and don't want to read the negatives. My plastic surgeon actually warned me in hospital that I may start to feel "blue" at times, and he was right. It was nice of him to warn me though.

Hey everyone,

I came on here to start a new thread but thought this one is a good spot to post. I'll try and keep this short.

I've wanted a BA for years but never thought I would go through with it because my family would be too disappointed. Around 2-3 months ago I decided on the spot ýou know what life's short, i'm going to do it!'

So here I am only a couple of months later and my surgery is 8 days away. This is the most rushed decision I have ever jumped into but I have always wanted to do it and I have definately done research over the years. I also chose a very good surgeon so that desicion wasn't rushed.

The excitement of it all was fantastic until today when I hit a brick wall. Reality has hit me and i've spent the day literally vomiting and crying all day at what i'm doing to myself. I couldn't eat all day and i'm having major panic attacks at the thought of it all.

My biggest worry is that my parents and close family dont know so I dont have alot of support to help me through this. I fear silly things like what if I dont wake up from the op and my how much I am hurting my family for something so vain!

It's not even that my parents would be angry, they wouldn't. It's the disappoinment. My mum is very sensitive and will be devestated to know I felt I needed to do this to be happy with myself.

I hate upsetting people to the point I've almost considered pulling out and losing my money. But this is something I want so badly!

I just found this thread and it actually scares me to think I may be like these girls post BA struggling to come to terms with it. At the moment i'm not even sure whether i am going to try and hide my op or break down and tell them.

Can anyone else relate to this!?

Hey livelife - I'm so sorry to hear you're having a difficult time with it. I've panicked and felt literally sick at times over the past couple of days wondering if I'm making a horrible mistake by doing this, so I understand how you feel. Telling my parents about it did take a huge weight off my shoulders - I had been worrying about it for months and when I finally told them it was the biggest relief. Even though my mum isn't 100% supportive (she told me that she's worried that I might have problems with insecurity/a bad emotional state to think that I need to do this because seeing as she's my parent, she thinks I'm perfect the way I am!), they both accept my decision and knowing that they're aware of it is such a huge help to ease the burden. Have you considered telling your parents about it? You'll definitely need some emotional and physical support after your surgery so maybe it would be a good idea - they're your family, and they love you and want you to be happy so I'm sure they'll understand your decision.

Best of luck sweetie xx

Also, just wanted to add that worrying that others will be disappointed in you shouldn't stop you from doing something that you've been thinking about for ages and KNOW that you want to do. I've been wanting to do this ever since I was 15 and realised nothing was ever going to happen boob-wise for me, but I never discussed it with anyone because I was worried about their reaction. Like you, I did a lot of research over the years and it was always in the back of my mind, and then about 6 months ago I just decided to bite the bullet and start organizing it because I knew that it was something I needed to do for myself. You'll never be able to please everyone and the people that truly care about you (like family) will always support you when you really need it. Would love to know how it all goes and I really hope you feel better soon :)

I don't like people getting down on themselves for doing something so 'vain'.. I don't see it as vain at all.. I am sooo uncomfortable with my breasts, I can't even look at myself in the mirror without feeling depressed over them.. I hardly even let my boyfriend see because I am that embarrassed and unhappy with myself.. I see surgery as something that will finally make me happy.. I've never thought in a way "Oh I want fake boobs", it's always been, "I want to be happy", so everyone who is thinking it is vain needs to stop being so hard on themselves :)

Livelife, I think you should tell your parents so that you have their support! I'm sure she wouldn't be disappointed, but more upset that you are that unhappy and will want you to be happy.

My mum has always been quite against surgery from all the stories she's heard, but when she wasn't quite comfortable with me going to Thailand (she is now), she even said to me she would try and find the money for me to get them done here because she knows how unhappy I am.. Of course I wouldn't let her, but all our parents want is for us to be happy, and if it takes surgery for that, then I'm sure they will be supportive!

I agree with Becca, never let the thought of other peoples opinions deter you from what you really want. I do believe informing your parents at least of your decision is a great start. discuss with them exactly why you want to do it and how you believe it can improve your self esteem. everyone has self esteem issues to a certain degree, and a lot of people go through a lot to improve on them. not everyone needs to know what your planning to do but to get a support base is a great thing.

If after telling your parents you still feel really uncertain, only then i believe putting a hold on the surgery is a good idea. surgery is a major thing, if you dont feel 100% about it then you shouldnt go ahead just yet. you need to be 100% confident this is what you want in the long run. even my surgeon tells me this. all of us go through nerves and second thoughts on going ahead with it, but if your sure its not something you think you can do, then you shouldnt force yourself to do it. If you thoughts of regret for NOT doing it overpower your nerves/uncertaintly, then you SHOULD go ahead. write up a pros and cons list my dear, and remember we are all here for support. <3

Livelife - I havn't read everything the other ladies have said but firstly dont let my post scare you, I was basically wanting to prepare people of this side to it, your bad day might be a cry in the shower.. for others it more than that. I think support is the best thing for recovery, I think you need to tell your parents and I also feel you need to remind yourself WHY you wanted this done in the first place. I also had tears leading up to my surgery BUT I did have support around me to ease that... maybe if you tell some close family you will feel better.

My brother's reply when I told him was "What get new tits so you can cheat on *insert hubbis name here* ........."

Getting my boobs done has been the most amazing thing (besides marriage and kids) I have done, I dont regret it one little bit and If I had to have them removed tomorrow I'd be lining up again no matter how much I remind myself of the hard days!!!

I also have wanted this FOREVER.... I begged hubby but it never happend, Boxing day last year he said well the money is there if you want it, it wont be there for long (we wanted to by a house) take it now or leave it but Im warning you you wont get another chance. Within days I was at my first consult and 6 weeks later I as under the knife!!!!! I certainly had days where I cried on and on but at the end of the day its what I wanted..... Its what I bloody well deserved and I was willing to hit the ground running to get my dream!!!!

Chin up babe but I do feel support is a BIG thing - my friened was away from her hubby and her home, and we all (her, her hubby and myself) feel this made the situation worse. Tell your mum your feelings and say to her "Mum this is something I have always wanted and even if you don't agree I would really love you to support me thru this with loads of positive thoughts, lots of hugs and an ear to listen"

be kind to yourself xoxoxoxox