Kaleidoscope_Eyes

Diazepam for muscle spasms

So I had my BA revision on Thursday. Went larger and switched from above muscle to under the muscle due to visible rippling in the cleavage. I had HORRIBLE muscle spasms in my right pec Thursday night that kept waking me from sleep and were particularly worse after I'd tried to move or reposition myself. I mean, this isn't unexpected given I'd just had a huge foreign body shoved under there. I called out a home GP Friday night who prescribed some diazepam (valium) for the spasms. I'm just wondering if many Australian surgeons commonly prescribe this in the post-operative period to assist with muscle relaxation. I know some US surgeons do but I haven't heard of many here in Australia prescribing it. Just curious.

On 2/9/2020 at 1:24 PM, Kaleidoscope_Eyes said:

So I had my BA revision on Thursday. Went larger and switched from above muscle to under the muscle due to visible rippling in the cleavage. I had HORRIBLE muscle spasms in my right pec Thursday night that kept waking me from sleep and were particularly worse after I'd tried to move or reposition myself. I mean, this isn't unexpected given I'd just had a huge foreign body shoved under there. I called out a home GP Friday night who prescribed some diazepam (valium) for the spasms. I'm just wondering if many Australian surgeons commonly prescribe this in the post-operative period to assist with muscle relaxation. I know some US surgeons do but I haven't heard of many here in Australia prescribing it. Just curious.

This is very commonly given immediately prior to surgery so that your pectoralis muscles are relaxed during surgery. I do know many patients who have also been prescribed limited doses of this post op to manage issues such as what you have described.

I would be inclined to contact my surgeon and let them know of the pain/issues so they can assess you and advise on whether or not they wish for you to continue to take the muscle relaxant.

On 2/13/2020 at 7:27 PM, TheFox said:

This is very commonly given immediately prior to surgery so that your pectoralis muscles are relaxed during surgery. I do know many patients who have also been prescribed limited doses of this post op to manage issues such as what you have described.

I would be inclined to contact my surgeon and let them know of the pain/issues so they can assess you and advise on whether or not they wish for you to continue to take the muscle relaxant.

Thanks. I haven't needed to take it again but I will check with them in case I do. :) How are you going now after your breast implant illness post explant?