Things not everyone may know about breast augmentations

I didn't expect that I couldn't sleep flat on my bed until around about day 7.

Everyone built up morning boob to be horrible, it's not that bad for me.

Surprised I still got boobie blues even though i had prepared myself for it.

Looking at myself in the mirror actually made me physically feel sick in the stomach because I was overwhelmed by my chest. Apparently it can take 4 weeks to get used to.

My nipples are my sore and sensitive than the actual implant!

Oh and didn't realise my dominant arm would be so useless because it had most muscle and I went under.

What were you talking about specifically? Pain? Or?

I didn't realise how badly the medication would affect my bowels...I'm still having issues but I think having already suffered IBS and hemorrhoids during child birth it's mostly reoccurring...laxatives with stool softener, drink plenty of water, eat fresh foods and go for walks.

This thread is my surgery diary: http://www.plasticsurgeryforum.com.au/forums/showthread.php?12045-Just-sitting-in-my-hospital-bed

Your muscles recover quite quickly form surgery and you very soon find yourself back to normal movement, on average 3-4 weeks and your back in the saddle so to speak.

Cheers, Little L :)

I never expected to still have numbness to my breast tissue after 7 weeks. Apparently it's normal and will return eventually.

I was surprised I can sleep on my stomach already :D

How quickly stretch marks showed up :( they are pretty bad as well

And my biggest annoyance is trying to find bras that fit. Every brand I'm a different size and the lack of large sizes avalible. There is a lack of nice looking bras for people sized 14, 16 or 18 sized between D and F. Being that im currently wearing a 16 E or F it's so difficult to find a bra that's comfy and isn't ugly tha can be worn with a strappy singlet or dress :/

The most useful thing I can suggest is that you make sure you take light laxatives while being on strong pain killers. Oh my did I suffer yesterday after 3 days. Also those who are after a natural look be warned that they will take a little bit to turn natural. I didn't really think much of it before hand but it makes sense now. They were a great shape but so high and round not the nice soft natural look I was aiming for which takes time :)

I'd never heard of Mondors Cords & developed them yesterday. They are a common side effect of BA, an inflamed vein forms under ur incision & can be quite long. I think they are scar tissue/clot from where ur nerve gets snipped.

They cook like a cord under ur skin & Hirt a little.

They can develop at around 1-4weeks post op & last up to 2months. They don't cause any harm & are pretty common but freaky all the same if u didnt know about them.

Also I didn't realise how common breast skin numbess is after BA, I though it was rare lol so was pretty disappointed when mine were numb. I've regained all sensation in 1 breast & half in the other so far at 3 weeks. I've read numbess can last a yr & anything longer is permanent nerve damage

How painful it would be!

Requiring help just to raise yourself upright and get out of bed in the morning...

That you cannot sleep on your side or stomach for 3 months.

How ugly they look for the first week or so...lol... they look like hard misshapen melons.

The sharp electronic shocks that come and go through your nipples.

I also wish I knew more about the sizes etc. If my doctor had of explained the differing looks I could've achieved, then I may have a different set of boobs!

I was just wondering if anyone had any information that they didnt kow until they got their breast augnmentation that they wish they had of/ didnt expect to happen post op/ helpful things they learnt?

How severe the tightness is across your chest - this caused problems with my ability to breath properly and resulted in a couple of panic attacks when by myself. It also inhibited my ability to speak properly - was so out of breath as couldnt take nice deep breaths in I would have to stop mid word to inhale and then continue.

Th fact that I pretty much couldnt do anything for myself - going to the toilet, getting dressed, lifting a cup to my mouth (straws became my best friend!!)...my bf was home with me for 5 days after op.

This is only 1 week post op for me so I'm sure I will keep being surprised as I go through the different stages of recovery :)

How painful it would be!

Requiring help just to raise yourself upright and get out of bed in the morning...

That you cannot sleep on your side or stomach for 3 months.

How ugly they look for the first week or so...lol... they look like hard misshapen melons.

The sharp electronic shocks that come and go through your nipples.

I also wish I knew more about the sizes etc. If my doctor had of explained the differing looks I could've achieved, then I may have a different set of boobs!

Wow!!! What implants would you have if he explained more to you ?

haha I agree with all the above! Getting in and out of bed is definitely the worst! Making a coffee, going toilet, doing your hair, everything is hard the first few days!

Bloating and bowel movements would also be high up the list. I definitely under-estimated the need for laxatives. I also didn't realise I would look 9 months pregnant post op! hahaha it settles down within a few days but definitely doesnt help you feeling a bit miserable or like a whale!

I would say the fact that I'm still in pain at 6 weeks. Not constant pain but occasional aches for about half to an hour at a time. Plus the incisions still hurting even though they're healed.

Also the morning boob killed me. It took a good 15-20 mins to subside so I could get up. That stopped about 2.5 weeks post op.

I also agree with the tightness and the shortness of breath. That was pretty difficult.

I was expecting to get boobie blues earlier but I think it's only it this week (6 weeks post op). I've just felt a bit down but that could just be me as I sometimes go through down periods from time to time. This also brings me to I'm still finding it hard to sleep which does affect my mood. I'm waking up approx. 8-10 times a night as I'm not comfortable and it aches to sleep on one side for too long.

But as I've said before,I would do it all again in a heartbeat :)

Edited to add - how much I want to touch them and walk around naked. My lounge room faces the road and I'm constantly getting told off by hubby for walking out there with no top on and the blinds open. I just don't want to put a top on ;)

Something I didn't expect was where bruising could appear. I ended up with significant bruising at right my pelvis. It was quite a large area and went all purple, green and yellow. Quite spectacular. I didn't have visible bruising anywhere else. My doctor said it was a tight fit on that side so that was probably why.

• 3 weeks later...

The thing I didn't realise was def the bra sizing what a pain in the bum , to big, to small, different brands some fit some dont , bra not comfortable , lace is annoying well the harder lace, underwires coming out and sticking in your boob....

Also the numbness from nipple down I'm 3 months post op and still quiet numb in the right boob and left still a little numb ....

MumO5