Sign in to follow this  
Maz1980

Essentials needed post surgery??

Hi everyone!

I heading over to Thailand in about 7 weeks for my BA and lipo. :-O

I am very interested in hearing from people what that advise i take?

I have heard v shape pillows are great, but what else will i really need post op?

Any advice on comfortable clothing, what type of bra's (for when the bandages come off) .... etc???

Thanks!

:-)

Loose pants shorts, you won't be able to pull them up easily if their slightly tight *. I wore boxers first week and still do.

Loose singlet. Easy to put arms in. Hard to raise arms.

Lots of pillows so you have a pillow fort to keep urself elevated. (Must!)

Pea packets or ice packs (I preferred peas they molded and held the cold in more) - if ur doctor recommends he might have another option for u for swelling.

And a travel pillow!!! For ur neck when u sleep upright OMG it saved Me.

And..bottles of water to help with swelling, also straws its hard to lift cups and bottles.

Not sure whet. Else but if I think of something else ill come back to you!!! :)

I've been told to get all of the above ready plus a heat pack for my lower back, and prunes (and laxatives if needed) as the meds make you constipated.

Someone also said to buy a wedge pillow from Big W to help prop myself up while sitting/lying in the pillow fort hehe.

When you stay travel/neck pillow- the peanut shaped ones or the horse shoe shape?

Also, the singlet thing- you just step into it and pull it up, or are you still able to go over your head if its a few sizes bigger than normal?

Silly questions! sorry...

Hayley, get the horse shoe shape one:)

I stayed a extra small/ small in my singlets. If they are a bit tight I pull them up but some have a nice soft stretch material so with a little help I could put these on over my head without having to raise my arms too high x

I didn't like heat packs personally. Magnesium tablets help with muscle spasms and relation. Also helps with constipation. Yes get laxatives I had to use an enema. Not pretty. But I was so relieved.

I am a side 8 but bought a size 12 singlet from Kmart to pull up from my legs. It was really good for me.

I have a horse shoe shaped neck travel pillow. And bio oil to lightly put on breasts to reduce stretch marks

Hi Maz

you'll be given a heat/cool pack to use, I got 2, one for eyes, one for boobs! Take a thermometer to keep check on your temp. Anti-bacterial wipes are a must, as you wont be able to have a shower! And yes, def a neck pillow, your room will prob have heaps of other pillows, but the neck one is a must. Post op bra, Dr Piyapas usually recommends a sports bra, no wires. I like the ones with a wide band, stretchy, no seams, wide shoulder straps and adjustable at the back (and front if poss), then get a bra extender (like from target) to account for swelling. The berlei post op bra was good, but in any case you'll need to have at a bare minimum 2 bras, possibly 3 or 4, as you'll want to be putting clean ones on each day. Hand sanitiser, for just general out and about, you don't want to get sick before your op. Probiotics (I took blackmores probiotic chewable tablets), helps you combate bloating from meds, and also helps keep you regular too. Stock up on fruit in your room for when you get back from the hospital for plenty of fibre in your diet.

Can't wait to hear how the lipo goes.....would love to have a bit done here and there ;)

cheers

chacha

Basically what everyone else has said :)

But being in Thailand I wouldn't worry about the pillow or peas part. They provide heappss of pillows in hotel rooms. But do get a horseshoe shaped neck pillow. I had originally only bought mine for the plane but it was amazing to sleep with.

There are chemists/pharmacy's everywhere in Thailand so there will be plenty of opportunities for you to pick up ice packs. You can get awesome ones there which come with a material pouch/strap thingo that the icepack sits in - makes it so easy as you can just strap two to yourself and not have to prop them up :)

I found stepping into clothes soooo much easier then trying to go over my head. I bought a few "mu mu" type dresses (about $5 each) in Thailand that I could just step into and tie with a sash. So easy and great for covering all the bandages/post op bras/strap etc.

Also a laxative is a must, I tried natural (like pear juice and prunes) but in the end had to ask at the hospital for strong laxatives - massive necessity as I thought I was going to explode!!