Sign in to follow this  
BeeBop

Tummy Tuck with Gastric Band

Hi everyone!

I am a long time stalker but first time poster having joined your wonderful forum over the weekend. I am 20yrs old and was fitted with a gastric band 2 years ago. I have accepted the fact I will probably need reconstructive surgery as I will have lost 50kgs. I would be looking at getting the surgery early to mid next year to give me the time to finish losing the weight and stabilise but have been researching and saving the money for a while :)

So, my question is: Has anyone had a TT with a gastric band and how did it look with the port?

I have 2 surgeons in mind and will be getting quotes from both (Dr Cockburn - QLD, and Dr Miroshink - NSW). Does anyone have photos of their work that they wouldn't mind me looking at? I have seen both their websites and Dr M's Facebook page, I am just trying to get as much info as possible :)

Thankyou to everyone who has shared their story on here, it has been so helpful!

BeeBop

I can't help you with any of your questions, but what an incredible effort losing so much weight!! There are a few gals who had TT after a big weight loss - Holly had an incredible result after her fleur de lis TT. She's in my friends list if you want to find her. Good luck xx

Thanks for the reply Jaddles :) I have only lost about 35kgs so far so still a bit to go but am fairly certain I will need some kind of fix up. I got a reply from Dr Miroshnik and he actually shifts the port during the operation so that is good to know. I am still waiting to hear back from Dr Cockburn in Brisbane. Congrats on your TT by the way, I read your story and it makes it so much easier for those of us in the research phase to have people's stories and recounts :)

I am in the same boat as you. I have my first appt with Dr Campbell on Wickham Terrace today and Dr Bailey on Monday. One question I wouldn't have thought to ask but found scanning forums is when you have a consult ask if they will move your port. Apparently some surgeon's won't and this means nothing above the belly button is touched. I really need above the belly button too!

Thanks for your reply Jess! I personally won't be going with a surgeon who doesn't shift my port as it will be very obvious when I have a flat tummy! I am a secret bandit so I would prefer things to stay secret and not have everyone point at the weird lump on my tummy. How did your consults go? I am very interested in hearing about Brissy surgeons as I would ideally like to get my op done there but right now, I am leaning towards interstate with Dr Miroshnik - but I haven't even begun the consulting stage yet. Do you mind if I send you a friend request? I would love to keep up with your progress :)

Both consults were fine. I think I am pretty sure I will go with Dr Gerard Bayley @ Greenslopes. He was nice, easy to talk to, costs were good and I felt me gave me more information. At the end of the day I have 5kgs left to shift due to a band slip a few years ago and my second band has been good but I have to work at it. I always knew my first band was just far too easy. Weight just fell off no matter what I did/ate.

Besides the weight, I am a smoker and neither one will look at me for at least 3-4 months after I've quit. Bot surgeons said they would move the port "IF they had to" but would prefer not to. Bayley said two of his patients that had the worst complications were both bandits that he had to move the port on. Campbell wants to do Fleur-de-lis Tummy Tuck, while Bayley was just going to do the normal one. Campbell said I would need it to pull the extra skin above my hips in but Bayley only said I may need a little lipo to flatten above the belly button a little. With his costs being so much more reasonable than Campbell's even if I did need this at a later date, I'm sure I would still me financially better off and have no scar running up the middle of my belly to above the belly button. Bayley is also a reconstructive surgeon and does alot of work with cancer patients.