Sign in to follow this  
jessiee

Nightmare came true - Staph infection post op

Hi ladies,

I am currently so upset and worried and really need to hear from others in the same situation...

I am 3 weeks post op (BA & Benelli lift) and 2 days ago I was told I have a staph infection in my right incision (areola).

It isn't painful and it's not overly red other than the immediate surrounding area. It is a patch where my areola meets my skin and is about the size of my pinky nail. It's white, not oozing but looks semi deep. Also a couple of other smaller spots around my right areola.

I am currently on antibiotics called 'Staphylex' and an antibiotic cream also. Have been taking it now for 48 hours with no improvement from what I can see. I have another appointment in 2 days to see how it is going..

Basically, I just need some comfort from girls who had a semi minor infection and got past it. All the research I have done everyone who had any infection had to have their implant removed... Now imagine how terrified I am! :(

Please help xx

Hey jessie, glad you were able to post your thread. There is a lady on here Lara who had a reconstruction after mastectomy and from memory she had an infection that sounds similar to yours, she got out of it ok ;)

i hope someone who has some more experience then me can come and give you some advice

Thank you so much for your help TheFox. I am hoping to hear from people who got through it okay. I did everything I could to prevent infection and was so careful, but I guess it just wasn't enough! Big sigh :(

sometimes there is nothing we can do, its not like this is your fault, these things happen to anyone.

I hope that your current course of treatment works well.

Actually, now that i think of it, Floss on here had some sort of superficial infection around her incision, she was given a course of antibiotics and is all hunky dory now

Jessiee, I'm really sorry to hear about your infection.

I would see a plastic surgeon ASAP though, rather than a GP as sometimes you need the right treatment immediately to prevent implant removal, eg intravenous antibiotics. I know of a couple of ladies who were given the wrong treatment by a GP, well not the wrong treatment but not the best option for implants.

I really hope it clears up without any complications for you, I can't imagine how unnerving it must be.

Hi Mrs-B, thank you for your reply.

It just so happened to be that my normal GP was closed on Saturday and I went to the chemist to get help in the meantime and the lady at the chemist said her Fiance is a plastic surgeon! So she got me an appointment with him an hour later. The antibiotics I am on have been prescribed by him and he is being so helpful. I really want to go to the local hospital and see if they will give me intravenous antibiotics but people I have spoken to about this say that if he felt it was bad enough he would have admitted me to hospital on Saturday... Hmm!

Hi Mrs-B, thank you for your reply.

It just so happened to be that my normal GP was closed on Saturday and I went to the chemist to get help in the meantime and the lady at the chemist said her Fiance is a plastic surgeon! So she got me an appointment with him an hour later. The antibiotics I am on have been prescribed by him and he is being so helpful. I really want to go to the local hospital and see if they will give me intravenous antibiotics but people I have spoken to about this say that if he felt it was bad enough he would have admitted me to hospital on Saturday... Hmm!

omg how great was that, sounds like it was meant to be that you went to that chemist, its wonderful to hear that you are being looked after by a surgeon here and your friends are right, if he felt it was urgent you would have been admitted to hospital

Yeah, I could not believe it! Have never been to that chemist before and for some reason I went in there. Was soo meant to be. I think it could also be because I have been 'over doing it' since day 3 approx. As I felt basically no pain whatsoever I have been driving and lifting heavy files and whatnot at work. Time to slow down.

That is great you're seeing a surgeon and he absolutely would have admitted you if he thought it was necessary. It sounds like he's right onto it and hopefully it is on the mend :) rest up

Hi Jessie sorry to hear this has happened to you too. Unfortunately the skin is covered with all sorts of bacteria that go unnoticed.. until you have an open wound! Nothing you or your surgeon could have done to avoid it.

I took staphlex until my swab showed I had an additional type of bacteria.

The location of my infection sounds the same as yours and the good news is that it'll improve if you're on the right ABs.

It's scary but hopefully you'll be Ok! Sending you a FR x