Sign in to follow this  
GoneSouth

Will I be able to lift my baby?

Hello

I have a 5 week old baby. I contacted a surgeon who is said that i wont be able to lift baby for 4-5 weeks after BA. This not only sounds a bit precious but also out of the question for me. My partner took 7 weeks annual leave when baby was born so he wont be able to take anymore time off work to help me out

So my question is. When did u ladies out there find it bareable to lift/look after baby full-time. . . ? Which days post-surgery where the worst for you?

Hello, is your baby now 5 months or 5 weeks? It depends on night sleeps etc. I found that by week one I felt fine and if my husband sat her on my lap I could cuddle her but I'm now 3 weeks post op and not lifting her. I forgot and lifted my vacuum yesterday and I was sore afterwards so I would say you really shouldn't be lifting bubs for at least 5 weeks. Getting up at night is a problem. I find I'm sleeping fine but it does hurt when you first get up so if you were getting up during the night you may struggle to get back to sleep.

the reason they say not to lift anything until then is because your incisions are not completely healed, you can tear your stitches or put your implant out of place. its a lot of money to spend, to risk having it all go wrong. TBH - i remember having a newborn baby and no way in the world would i have been able to recover from a BA with a new baby to look after. i remember constantly having to rock them, cuddle them, lift them in and out of their cot, getting up at night....everyone is different with what their baby is like and how they recover, however the recommendation for lifting is there for a reason, to protect your new assets. if you rotate them or tear your internal stitching it means another surgery.

Im 2wks post op my husband works away and I have a 3yr old and a 14mth old (10kg) I have been lifting him since day 10 as that's when my husband went back to work, I was really worried about lifting him but I don't feel it doing any damage cant feel any pull/stretch or pain when I lift him in out car/cot but I try not to lift him at any other time in case it does do damage. My Dr said no lifting for 6wks but if I have to bend down and keep him close to my body. I just listen to my body.

When I had my BA done my baby was 4 mths old. I couldn't do night feeds for the first 3 weeks as I was still in quite a bit of pain at night. I was told I could start lifting her after 2 weeks I think, as long as I used my body more than my arms...so go down to pick her up etc.

Ahhhh no. You will barely be able to lift your own cup of tea in the first few days lol. After that you really need to watch the incisions for a while and limit arm movement to avoid harming yourself. If this isn't an option for you right now you might have to wait... You don't want any more stress than necessary.

I didn't realise people could have a BA so soon post giving birth! I'm surprised you don't have to wait until you have no more milk etc. You will be quite drugged up for a couple of days or so.

I had over the muscle and i could pick up my 2 1/2 yr old after 2 1/2weeks.. A newborn is alot of up and down and u really dont want to risk anything going wrong. May be best for u to wait :(

I just googled it and the general consensus seems to be that your breasts need to return to their pre baby state. This would normally take 3 months from the time you stop breastfeeding. I haven't had my surgery yet but I have had a child and I would imagine it would be quite taxing to recover from surgery and also manage a newborn unless of course you were blessed with a dream baby.

aww :( its not forever just until your baby can walk, i know its easy for me to say because i have mine but i guess if youve gone this long whats another year?

Edited by tango1192
spelling