Sign in to follow this  
Rara89

Is this normal?

I am a bit worried that my incisions may be infected even thou i went to my local GP and he said they were just inflamed, I'm still unsure.I have attached a picture, has anyone else experienced the same thing? is it the beginning of an infection or is it just inflamed and will heal in time and i am being too paranoid? lol I don't see my PS till next week and my GP hasn't made me feel at ease maybe you ladies can help :)

post-11925-140437353479_thumb.jpg

I would email your PS this photo and ask his advice or if your PS has a medical liaison officer perhaps they could assist you, maybe just keep it as dry as you can between now and then....but call you PS in the morning at least,

I didn't Clean or apply anything to my incisions. For the first 2 weeks they were covered and I didn't even get to see them, nurse changed dressing at 7 days and again at 14 days. After the first 2 weeks I then swapped to micropore tape and only rinsed with water.

Id definatley see your surgeon ASAP for advice and see what he says. Each surgeon does it different

From my understanding betadine is great at killing bugs however, it also kills the new skin cells that are trying to rejuvenate which is why in modern medicine we tend not to use it as often long term, maybe just a once off. Chlorhexidine is better. But bactroban will help keep the incisions free from bugs

i will be calling tomorrow for sure! hopefully it can be fixed :( I also heard that betadine can be to strong when using long term too, i think i might leave using it for now. even thou this is not the best news, my gut was saying something was wrong even thou my doc said there wasn't :-/

thank you ladies :)

Like Dslr said, betadine is good as a once-off as soon as you get a cut or wound to get rid of any nasty bacteria, and after that you should wash with normal water. Your body will be able to heal itself up pretty quickly in most cases, unless you're immuno-suppressed or you've introduced bacteria into the wound from something. To me it looks inflamed so firstly I would stop using betadine, clean it with water or saline solution and get your surgeon's opinion :)