Sign in to follow this  
boobenvy

smoking and the pill before breast surgery

Hi all, just wondering how many of you stayed on the pill and had breast Implants under GA or Twilight Sedation.

Also, if you smoked did you give it up, if so for how long before did you have to?

cheers

I'm having GA and I decided to stop taking the pill about 6 weeks before, but it was more so for other health reasons and not just because of the increased risk.

I quit smoking almost a year ago now so that part's not an issue for me.

I'm having GA and I decided to stop taking the pill about 6 weeks before, but it was more so for other health reasons and not just because of the increased risk.

I quit smoking almost a year ago now so that part's not an issue for me.

I don't want to give the pill up, i get pregnant way to easily and that's the last thing i want right now, i want boobs not a baby LOL

And i don't want to give my sex life up, i couldn't handle my partner if he hasn't had sex for to long LMAO.

Im still smoking now, not alot though like a pack of 30's last 4-5 days.

You can always use condoms for a few weeks, no need to give up sex altogether! Plus there are things you can do without P in V haha :) to me it would be a small sacrifice to make, I'm back to using condoms now after nine years on the pill and I don't love it but other health issues took priority over the pleasure of having no condoms. Considering you smoke as well that increases the risk even more so it might be worth considering. In the end of course it's up to you :)

This is a good question I didn't even think about the pill affecting healing or anything.

I'm the same though fall pregnant VERY easy and there is no way I would go off the pill as I have 3 babies under 2.5 years and that's enough for now lol...

I'm sure if you tell your surgeon about the pill they will be fine but I'm not sure about smoking... Definately keep us posted though :)

Stay on the pill girls unless your doctor says to get off it (Rhichardson is the only 1 I know of who like his patients to cease before surgery). It can make your chances of a clot a teensy bit higher but honestly for the time you're under it's nothing to worry about.

Smokes are evil though, they impair your healing and I know surgeons who refuse to operate on smokers because it's like undoing all their hard work.

I stayed in the pill (i've been on it 8 years now) - I stopped smoking a month before hand as my surgeon refuses to operate on smokers and actually does a nicotine test on smokers on the day of the surgery. I did my BA under GA... I was advised not to smoke for 6 weeks after as it can cause complications with healing and scarring - but havent picked them up again :)

I stayed in the pill (i've been on it 8 years now) - I stopped smoking a month before hand as my surgeon refuses to operate on smokers and actually does a nicotine test on smokers on the day of the surgery. I did my BA under GA... I was advised not to smoke for 6 weeks after as it can cause complications with healing and scarring - but havent picked them up again :)

You should be proud! That's great!

You should be proud! That's great!

Thanks Sweety!! Smoked for almost as long as ive been on the pill. Much easier with the motivation of boobs haha. Thanks again :) X

I was on the pill non stop for twelve years but stopped it about four weeks before my BA. Just coz I thought I should and it was something I always thought of doing coz my current partner is snipped. Best decision ever cos it helped me mentally too I was a bit crazy on the pill lol