Are you frustrated with the lack of tone and definition in your butt? No matter how far you run or the number of squats and lunges you perform, your butt stays the same. Flat, droopy and undefined.
You’re not alone feeling distressed about the shape and size of your butt. Butt lift surgery can improve the appearance, shape and size of your buttocks.
While breast implant surgery is a popular and well known cosmetic procedure, butt lift surgery is not as well known.
Like breast augmentation surgery, the aim of butt lift surgery is to create a natural looking butt using implants.
What is a butt lift?
A butt lift is a cosmetic surgery procedure that improves the appearance of the butt. It can involve a Brazilian butt lift, butt silicon implants, or fat injection and grafting.
Butt lift surgery tightens and lift loose or sagging skin that exercise and/or diet will not address. Patients who have this surgery want to have a more youthful and naturally lifted butt.
Why do people get butt lifts?
People who choose to have butt lift surgery feel self-conscious about the shape or size of their butt. They may have:
- A poorly defined buttock, or
- A butt that is disproportionate to their body shape.
Trying to develop and reshape the buttocks area through exercise can be very difficult. In many cases, the changes you’re not happy with in your butt shape will be due to genetics and the natural ageing process. Sometimes a butt can become saggy or get ‘deflated’ with weight loss or after pregnancies.
People who choose to undergo butt lift surgery have a variety of butt shape problems. They may also want to:
- Add further volume and roundness to their butt
- Improve the shape, contour and position of the buttocks
- Create more balanced proportions
- Accentuate their overall body contours
- Make the buttocks look more youthful and lifted
How is butt lift cosmetic surgery performed?
Butt lift implant surgery is performed under general anaesthetic, and can take your Cosmetic Surgeon up to two hours to perform. They will make an incision in the natural crease of your buttocks, or another location that is unobtrusive. Through this incision, the Cosmetic Surgeon will create a ‘pocket’ in the existing buttock tissue in which to insert the butt implant.
The butt is positioned in the pocket, usually located behind the largest buttock muscle (gluteal muscle) and above the pelvic bone. Once the butt implant is in place, the incision will be closed with sutures. To remove excess liquid, drains may be inserted.
If you decide choose not to use buttock implants for your butt lift, your Cosmetic Surgeon will use a variety of fat transfer techniques where fat is removed from one part of your body and used in the buttock. Because this fat transfer technique uses your own natural fat, the chances of your body rejecting it is very low.
It is important to note that if you are slim, you may not have enough fat, which can be used to enhance your buttocks. In these cases, a butt implant will be the best option.
What is recovery like after butt lift surgery?
Following the butt implant procedure, you will experience discomfort, which you will need to be managed with pain medication. It is important to note that your recovery process will be affected by the location of the treatment area.
Because the buttocks are a mobile part of the body daily activities like standing, walking and moving will affect them. For the first 10 days after your butt lift surgery, you will not be able to sit on the buttocks, except to go to the bathroom.
For the first 48 hours after the surgery, you will need to rest in bed on your stomach while wearing a compression garment. Most patients are not mobile for at least 3 days after butt lift surgery.
Bruising and swelling will appear in the treated area during recovery. This will gradually dissipate and fade over the following weeks. It is important to note that the final results of the butt lift surgery will not be evident for at least 8 weeks after surgery.
What are the risks or complications with butt lift surgery?
It’s important to note that any surgical operation brings complications of anaesthesia. Your anaesthetist will outline the possible complications of having an anaesthetic.
General complications of every surgery include:
- Blood clot in your leg (deep-vein thrombosis – DVT). This can cause pain, swelling or redness in your leg, or the veins near the surface of your leg to appear larger than normal. Your healthcare team will assess your risk. They will encourage you to get out of bed soon after the operation and may give you injections, medication, or special stockings to wear. Let the healthcare team know straightaway if you think you might have a DVT.
- Blood clot in your lung (pulmonary embolus). If a blood clot moves through your bloodstream to your lungs. If you become short of breath, feel pain in your chest or upper back, or if you cough up blood, let the healthcare team know straightaway. If you are at home, call an ambulance or go immediately to your nearest Emergency department.
What are the specific risks and complications of butt lift surgery?
When a highly experienced and trained Cosmetic Surgeon performs butt lift surgery, the risks and complications will be minimal.
However, it is important to note that risks and complications include:
- Infection: While infection of the implant is very rare, it can occur. If infection of the butt implant does happen, scar tissue may form around the implant. This can usually be resolved with a course of antibiotics, however if this doesn’t resolve the butt implants may need to be removed.
- Swelling: Swelling of the butt area can occur because of tissue damage. While this is painful, it usually resolves itself.
- Pain: Due to the number of layers of muscle the Cosmetic Surgeon need to cut through to insert the butt implants, pain will occur. To manage this pain, you will be given prescription medication.
How to find the best Australian butt lift Cosmetic Surgeons
Because butt lift surgery is a major cosmetic procedure, it is important to consult with several Cosmetic Surgeons who are highly trained and experienced with this procedure. While butt lift surgery is usually safe and effective, it is important to note that there are risks and complications associated with it.
You can find the best Australian Butt Lift Surgeons here.