What is it?
Micro needling (also known as collagen induction therapy, dermal needling and skin needling) is a minimally invasive cosmetic treatment that rejuvenates the skin. Tiny needles are used to puncture the top layer of the skin, which triggers the body to create new elastin and collagen. The needles have different depth ranges that vary from 0.25mm to 1.5mm. Micro needling results in the skin becoming smoother, plumper and healthier looking. The micro needling treatment is clinically proven to be very safe and effective as it started out in its earliest form as acupuncture in China many centuries ago.
Micro needling is a good alternative to achieving skin resurfacing and helping to produce a new collagen layer on the dermis. Dermal needling treatment is similar to ablative treatments including chemical peels, IPL, Fraxel and laser resurfacing treatments, but is a cheaper option. It can produce good results for people who have acne scarring or uneven skin tone, colour and texture.
Who is it for?
Due to the minimally invasive nature of this treatment, micro needling is suitable for most people. It can be used to treat:
- Acne scarring
- Fine lines and wrinkles
- Hypopigmentation (Vitiligo)
- Loss of skin elasticity
- Skin texture and tone
- Skin rejuvenation
- Stretch Marks
- Uneven tone
While the face is the most common area for skin treatments, other areas of your body can also be treated including the back, chest, hands and neck.
How is micro needling performed?
Before your micro needling procedure the Skin Clinician or Cosmetic Nurse will apply a topical anaesthetic cream to the treatment area 30 to 60 minutes before your treatment. This cream minimises your skin sensitivity throughout the procedure so the only sensation you should feel is some light pressure during the micro needling process. To deliver multiple punctures to the skin, a hand held dermal roller device is then passed over it. This process encourages new collagen to be produced to fill in the wrinkles, stretch mark or scar.
Your natural injury response to stimulate the growth of new tissue involves 4 major phases. For the first few days after the micro needling treatment, your body’s inflammatory response will promote a proliferation of fibroblasts proliferation and the response of chemotaxis. Platelets will also infiltrate the wound matrix to help remove debris and bacteria, which stimulates the next phase of proliferation.
During the second phase (4 to 6 days after your treatment) the production of keratinocytes, fibroblasts and monocytes continues. To form new tissue, new collagen is also deposited.
During the third phase (7 to 22 days after your treatment) growth factors are created and released, while the collagen is released by your fibroblasts. From day 28 to two years after treatment, your new skin grows. This is regarded as the maturation stage where your collagen stiffens and the new tissue has 80% of the tensile strength.
What is recovery like after micro needling?
Immediately after your micro needling treatment, your face may be puffy and red. You may also experience temporary side effects including:
- Bruising (lasting up to 7 days)
- Lines or marks from the roller (this usually fades very quickly)
- Redness (this usually decreases over a few days)
- Under eye puffiness (this is not common)
It is important to note that the results from micro needling treatment may take a few weeks to become apparent. Your new collagen can continue to develop for a few months after it.
Your professional Skin Clinician or Cosmetic Nurse advise what you must do after your dermal needling treatment. A general guide includes:
- Using Paw Paw ointment or something similar on the treated area straight after your treatment. It is important to note that you must use an ointment that your medical practitioner recommends.
- For the first couple of days after you the micro needling treatment it is important to wash your face with water only and to reapply your ointment. It is vital to avoid direct sun exposure, chemicals and excessive heat.
- From day 3 after your treatment you can usually introduce your usual cleansers and moisturisers. To prevent sun damage to the area that is healing, you must wear sunblock every day.
- From day 4 onwards, you can start your normal make up routine. It is usually preferable to use mineral based make up products.
Key facts about micro needling
- Depending on how invasive the treatment needs to be, the length of the micro needles will vary.
- Micro needling can be delivered as a series of treatments 1 to 3 months apart. This treatment has minimal downtime.
- Visible results are usually seen 6 to 8 weeks after the micro needling treatment. These will improve with time.
- The number of treatments you require depends on your skin type and condition. Most patients get 4 to 8 treatments 6 weeks apart.
- After treatment, your will have pink to red skin that appears like a mild sunburn. This swelling and colour will reduce over the next few days.
Are there any risks or complications with micro needling?
After your micro needling treatment, you will experience mild to moderate redness, swelling and sensitivity. This usually lasts from 12 to 48 hours. Light bruising can also be experienced which resolves after 2 to 3 days after treatment.
The area you have had treated will start to feel tight and dry a few days after your treatment. This is a normal and is part of the skin healing before new collagen is produced.
Some people have reported minor bleeding after micro needling treatments, but this is completely normal. It is important to note that although possible side effects are only temporary and usually last only 48 hours, you must consult your medical professional if the side effects are prolonged or painful.
What results can I expect from micro needling?
To get visible and noticeable results from micro skin needling, you will need to have multiple treatments. The improvement you will get in skin tone and texture usually starts to appear within 6 to 8 weeks and will continue to improve in the following months.
After having a series of dermal needling procedures, a meaningful improvement will be noticeable. This includes improved skin tone, smoother skin, reduced scars and pitting and an improvement in fine lines and stretch marks.
How to find the best micro needling providers in Australia
Finding an experienced medical professional for your micro needling treatment will ensure you get the best results. A medical professional with skills, precision and knowledge should perform this procedure. Find the best Cosmetic Doctors and Cosmetic Nurses to perform micro needling here
Important to know
So you can make an informed decision, your physician will discuss the possible risks associated with micro needling. Although the majority of patients do not experience these complications, it’s important to understand how they can be managed in the event that they occur.