Umbilical float or full tummy tuck

I'm 43 with 5 kids.The oldest is 20 and the youngest is 7.The last two were born very large babies .since the last delivery I have lost 20kg and have loose skin below and a bit above the belly button.I also have an umbilical hernia and need muscle repair.One plastic surgeon recommends floating umbilical abdominoplasty with full muscle repair and the other recommends an umbilical float with muscle repair up to the belly button. Is it possible to do a standard tummy tuck on me to avoid floating the belly button and to also achieve better tightening of the skin above the belly button?

June 14th, 2016 QLD

  • Answer
    Dr. Raymond Goh

    Raymond Goh

    123 answers

    Plastic Surgeon
    Queensland, Australia

    Hi Sunrise.
    Thank you for posting your question and photos.
    The type of abdominoplasty will be determined by the amount of loose skin you have. If we are able to remove all the excess skin from the pubic line to the umbilicus, and you have enough loose skin above the umbilicus to enable safe and direct closure of the wound, then you would be suitable for a standard abdominoplasty (with umbilicus repositioning and tightening of the rectus muscle). On the other hand, if you don't have sufficient skin to close the wound after removal of tissue between the belly button and the pubic line, then a floating umbilicus abdominoplasty, a mini abdominoplasty, or a full abdominoplasty with a small vertical scar may be considered. A clinical examination will help to delineate this decision.
    I hope this information is of help.
    Feel free to contact one of my friendly team members if you have any other questions.
    Warm regards,Dr Ray GohValley Plastic Surgery