What is it?
Anti-wrinkle injections (also called Botox and wrinkle injections) reduce the appearance and formation of lines and wrinkles by relaxing the muscle. This popular anti-ageing treatment has been used for reducing and eliminating fine lines and wrinkles since the 1990’s. Scientifically, Botox is one of the Botulinum type A injections. Other brands including Dysport and Xeomin produce similar results.
Botox works by blocking the nerves that cause the facial muscles to contract. This temporary paralysis of the muscles relaxes them to soften the appearance of wrinkles. The skin becomes smoother and leads to the appearance of a younger and more relaxed face.
While it is commonly associated with non-surgical cosmetic procedures Botox is also used to treat medical conditions including:
- Headaches and migraines
- Eye spasms
- Excessive sweating
Who is it for?
People who have anti-wrinkle injections usually have dynamic lines and wrinkles (wrinkles caused by movement of the muscle) that are making them look tired and old. They also want to prevent new wrinkles from forming.
While the common treatment areas for Botox are generally in the upper third of the face, experienced Cosmetic Doctors and Cosmetic Nurses use Botox underneath the eyes.
Anti-wrinkle treatment areas of the face include:
- Bunny lines (the nose lines that appear when the nose moves)
- Crows feet (the outer corners of your eyes)
- Down turned mouth
- Eyebrow area
- Glabella (also referred to “11’s” this is the area between the eyebrows)
- Masseter (the muscle that is used for chewing)
- Mental crease (the horizontal between your chin and lower lip)
- Platysmal bands (the bands of muscle that stand out from the neck and make the neck look stringy in appearance)
- Upper lip
- Vertical lip lines
How are anti-wrinkle injections performed?
It is important that a highly trained and qualified medical professional including a Cosmetic Doctor or Cosmetic Nurse performs Botox injections. You must go over the details of the treatment with them including how many units of Botox will be injected and the cost per unit.
They will assess the area you want treated by asking you to smile or frown. This helps them gauge muscle movement and determines where the injection will be placed. To prepare for your Botox injections it is important to suspend the use of medications including anti-inflammatories and aspirin for 2 weeks before the procedure. These types of medication thin the blood and can make you bleed more than normal which can result in bruising.
On the day of your treatment a fine-gauge needle is used to inject Botox into the target area where the wrinkles form. Once the muscle is relaxed, dynamic wrinkles and fine lines will be greatly reduced. The number of injections you have will depend on the depth of your wrinkles and which areas you are having treated. The procedure takes between 10 to 30 minutes to perform.
To prevent any possible migration of the Botox to unintended areas of your face, it is recommended you avoid lying down for at least four hours after the injections. You should not rub the area aggressively or get a facial massage for at least 48 hours after the procedure. The effects of the Botox injections will be apparent between a few hours to several days.
Are anti-wrinkle injections safe?
When Botox is administered by a medical professional that has been trained and qualified in its use, they are reasonably safe. It is important to note that mild, temporary side effects can occur including tenderness and slight bruising. While some people report feeling a slight headache after the treatment, this is uncommon. Rare complications included a droopy brow, eyelid or double vision may occur. Anti-wrinkle injections must not be administered to women who are breastfeeding or pregnant.
How long do anti-wrinkle injections last for?
While every person is different, generally wrinkle reduction injections last for 3 to 4 months. With regular use they can last for 6 months or longer. To assess the Botox effectiveness, it is important to consult with the Cosmetic Doctor or Cosmetic Nurse https://cosmeticjourney.com/procedures/details/anti-wrinkle-injections/surgeons/ 2 weeks after the initial session.
Key facts about anti-wrinkle injections
- Wrinkle reduction injections are primarily used for lines and wrinkles that appear when we use our muscles repeatedly to make facial expressions. They relax specific facial muscles that cause expression lines, which can age the face. Once these muscles are relaxed their movement is restricted, preventing future undesirable facial expressions, which lead to lines and wrinkles.
- Potential complications include bruising, bleeding, swelling at the injection site, crooked smile and/or drooling, headache or flu-like symptoms.
- Anti-wrinkle injections are different to dermal fillers. Dermal fillers plump and fill lines and wrinkles while wrinkle injections relax the muscles to soften the lines, wrinkles and creases.
- The results of anti-wrinkle injections are not permanent. You will need to have 3 to 4 treatments a year to maintain the results.
- Wrinkle injections are quick and the discomfort is mild with patients reporting the injection feels like being bitten by a mosquito.
Are there any risks or complications with anti-wrinkle injections?
There are certain contraindications to the use of anti-wrinkle injections. It is very important to tell the Cosmetic Doctor or Cosmetic Nurse about any type of medication you are using. This can prevent cross-reactions occurring.
Other factors where Botox should not be used include:
- People with egg allergies
- Problems related to neuromuscular disorders
Side effects vary on a patient-to-patient basis but can include mild headaches, bruising and some mild pain on the area injected. In less than 1% of cases patients may experience droopy eyelids or eyebrows. This becomes normal again after the Botox has worn off
What results can I expect from anti-wrinkle injections?
The anti-wrinkle injections will reduce the wrinkles and lines in your face, resulting in a more youthful and smooth appearance. While they produce results, they are not the ‘fountain of youth’. To maintain results you will need to keep having regular injections.
How to find the best anti-wrinkle injection providers in Australia
Finding an experienced medical professional to administer your wrinkle injections will help ensure the best results. While the procedure does not seem complex, it requires skill, precision and knowledge. Find the best anti-wrinkle injection provider’s here
Important to know
So you can make an informed decision, your physician will discuss the possible risks associated with anti-wrinkle injections. Although the majority of patients do not experience these complications, it’s important to understand how they can be managed in the event that they occur.