Endoscopic Sleeve Gastroplasty

candid

On 10/10/2023 at 1:27 PM, 2shea said:

I had an ESG in Oct 2018, at first it seemed fine, then I stopped feeling restriction put weigh back on, an endoscopy in Feb this year showed that most of the sutures had come undone or loosened. I had a sleeve done in March. Almost at goal weight now.

An ESG leaves a stomach that is larger than a surgical sleeve and the expected average weight loss is lower than the surgical options.

I chose the ESG initially because it was non-surgical, less invasive, reduced recovery time but I wish I had gone with the VSG in the first instance. I would have saved a lot of time and a lot of money.

My recovery with the VSG was pretty good, I didn't have much pain, there was some discomfort around the incision sites, and it was uncomfortable to get up or out of bed, and sleeping was a bit hard. No gas pain, but I did walk and walk, and then walked some more.

You can expect that over time the sutures will loosen or come undone at best its a temporary measure and unless you learn new healthier habits and behaviours fairly quickly once the ESG reduces restriction you will continue to eat the way you did before the ESG.

There is a facegood group for ESG failures may be worthwhile having a look at it. Let me know if you would like a link to it.

Thank you for sharing your experience, this is really helpful.

• 3 months later...