Concerns about breast implants

First off I would like to say hi as I’m new here and I’m looking at getting breast implants done.

I have an appointment today with Dr. Layt on the Gold Coast for my consultation.

this morning I woke up and read on the news that there is a issue with textured implants causing a rare form of lymphoma.

Apprently one type of implant has already been removed from use overseas and the other brands are getting looked into.

Im a bit concerned as you could understand

Hoping for some replies on this.

Thank you

32 minutes ago, Boobies29 said:

First off I would like to say hi as I’m new here and I’m looking at getting breast implants done.

I have an appointment today with Dr. Layt on the Gold Coast for my consultation.

this morning I woke up and read on the news that there is a issue with textured implants causing a rare form of lymphoma.

Apprently one type of implant has already been removed from use overseas and the other brands are getting looked into.

Im a bit concerned as you could understand

Hoping for some replies on this.

Thank you

Hey hun, you are correct. Textured implants have a higher chance of Anaplastic Large Cell Lymphoma (ALCL) and one brand (Allergan) has been taken off the market in Europe as a precautionary measure. Smooth implants are not associated with ALCL. Your surgeon will discuss these risks with you so that you can make an informed choice.

Many of us have textured implants and we are fine, but monitoring our health as one should anyway.

Good luck with your decision xo

• 1 month later...

FDA does not believe that, on the basis of all available data and information, the device meets the banning standard set forth in the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.” That is why FDA has announced the sale of Breast implant, However it will come with warnings and a patient decision checklist in order to convey the message of significant health issues associated with breast implants.

Source- https://www.myhealthyclick.com/fda-has-allowed-sale-of-breast-implant-linked-to-rare-cancer-but-with-stern-warnings/

On 5/3/2024 at 8:17 PM, RobertReny said:

FDA does not believe that, on the basis of all available data and information, the device meets the banning standard set forth in the Federal Food, Drug, and Cosmetic Act.” That is why FDA has announced the sale of Breast implant, However it will come with warnings and a patient decision checklist in order to convey the message of significant health issues associated with breast implants.

Source- https://www.myhealthyclick.com/fda-has-allowed-sale-of-breast-implant-linked-to-rare-cancer-but-with-stern-warnings/

That is in the US. This site is Australian based and the device has been banned in parts of Europe and Australia. Thank you for your input on the US situation.

On 5/7/2023 at 8:37 PM, sabP said:

That is in the US. This site is Australian based and the device has been banned in parts of Europe and Australia. Thank you for your input on the US situation.

Australia tends to follow suit.
The fact that the FDA have not banned the macro textured implants from the market reflect that whilst there is indeed a risk, in some instances, the benefits outweigh the risks. It highlights that there is a legitimate use of this type of implant.

However, you will find in most circumstances, surgeons have stopped using Macro textured implants and go for the lower risk micro textured or nano textured.
This video might be helpful. It is from Australian Society of Plastic Surgeons President Professor Mark Ashton